Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crusher caps

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
As it turns out, I will be taking the "extra step" from the Garcia cap to this cap, which I'm very happy about.

While I'm on the subject, anybody have any advice on the fit details of a cap from Diamond Cap Co? Remeber, I am ordering the "Fortress" cap, not the "Flighter." Feel free to post any advice, precautionaries, sizing stories, and fit stories.

THANKS

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
THAT is a beautiful cap Ace - I envy you!

I always error on the side of slightly larger. One can always put a little stuffing behind the sweat band. But a too tight cap because you ordered too small is a headache -literally!

-dixon cannon

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Diamond doesn't offer the "Fortress" anymore!

Guys,

-UPDATE-
-DISREGARD MY LAST POST-

As it turns out, Diamond doesn't offer the "Fortress" anymore. So, it's back to deciding between Diamond and Garcia.

However, If I decide to go with the Diamond cap, they are having a sale on the "Flighter", so that would be the cap I would be going with.

Any of you guys have pictures, stories, anecdotes, etc. for the Diamond "Flighter"?

THANKS GUYS. I'll keep you guys posted.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
DIAMOND CAP CO FLIGHTER--INSIGHT?

I need to know all I can about this cap. It appears to be the best crusher cap.

How is the fit?

How is the "crush"?

Durability?

Anybody have any pictures, stories, photos?

What are ALL of the colors that it can be ordered in? (I'm looking for an olive drab color and I've seen olive drab but with an orange-type color between the brim and top of the cap.)

THANKS GUYS

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
I am having a HARD time deciding whether to get the current Garcia cap or the Diamond "Flighter." I like the shape of the current Garcia cap, but I have no solid proof, pictures, or reviews of the of it. I'm in a bit of a jam here....:eusa_doh:

Jabos

A-List Customer
I have seen many many photos of crushers in my research, and I own two of my grandfather's Bancroft Flighters (in the Avitar). Since you are asking, I will chime in to say the Diamond looks "spot on". The garcia to me is close, and maybe more close than the hats Eastman provided for the movie "Pearl Harbor". They may mirror some off brand makers during the war but that Diamond just has "the look" of the Flighter, which is the "definitive" crusher in my mind. For me it is the shape of the brim, and the overall appearance. I've been meaning to get one when I have the cash.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Ah, I see.
Do you think the Garcia cap has the two brass "devices" on the sides of the cap? That's the only thing I'm worried about since I can't tell from the picture on their website.

Jabos

A-List Customer
I can't tell in the pic but I can't imagine they would not have the brass buttons holding the strap on. The Garcia certainly is a good price compared to the Diamond.

Dulmit

New in Town
The Garcia cap does have the brass buttons holding on the strap.

I would go with the Diamond crusher. I ordered a Garcia and the quality and look just aren't correct. It is "Manuel Noriega" style and has a funky bit of stiffener under the top of the cap. This stiffener makes it hard to shape correctly and makes it feel a bit off.
The Garcia cap would be fine if you needed a prop for a costume, but I feel that it is just not a quality cap for everyday wear. I tore mine down to get a better feel for the construction and all the stiching is single stitch so popping a seam might be an issue.

PS: Sorry for the mild hijack, but does anyone know what the original "stiffening bands" were made of? Not the sweat band, but the band under that.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Just to stick my nose in, I have been hunting ebay like crazy and have found a surprisingly large number of actual crush caps running in size from 6 1/2 to 7 1/2. The "green" ones are more numerous, to boot. I just landed a tan tropic myself that I'm hoping will fulfill my needs.

If that doesn't do you, I think you'll have to try the Garcia. I don't think anyone here has ordered one in a couple of years.

Dulmit

New in Town
I just recieved mine about 2 weeks ago.

They look good in the picture, but they seem to be the same as the USWings version now. The top in only about 1/4" - 3/8" higher than ideal. The real issues I had with the cap, was the stiffening sewn in under the top of the cap (It made the cap impossible to shape, and made it fall funny.) and the general construction. It looks the part, if just a bit high, but it feels like a costume piece.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Dulmit,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you have any pictures? Before I make a final decision, do you think I should buy it? I have talked to them and their return policy is great. Have you contacted them about their return policy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner