Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuenca vs. Montecristi

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
I've been looking at Panama Bob's website for a hat in the 3 - 400 dollar range. In that range, I could get either Montecristi Extra Fino hat Blocked USA OR Fino-Fino Cuenca. So, if you were buying your first panama from PB in the range, which one would you choose and why?

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I would buy the Montecristi. I think that the extra fino would be a very good choice for a first panama. I've never owned a Cuenca, but I've been very happy with all of my Montecristi panamas. My first Montecristi was a fino that I purchased in 1979, that I'm still wearing it today.I have a super fino that I'm thrilled with. In-fact I don't believe that I would want anything finer than super fino for everyday wear.

Last edited:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'm more of a cuenca guy, but I have often found that I prefer cheapies when it come to straw. I can't explain why, but I do. So, lower end cuenca is about as high as I'm going to get.

That said, if you are looking for a straw in that price range, and a PB Montecristi is within reach, I think you'd be a fool to pass it up. If I were going to spend that much on a straw hat, that's what I would buy.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
These may be a little better to see the detail.

This is that hat in my avatar, the Montecristi from 1979

This in my PB, super fino.

Last edited:

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
No that's the 1979 Montecristi regular fino.

Nice!

I probably will go with the Montecristi for the first one, and maybe get a Cuenca as a second, some time in the future. By the way, I get that the very best Montecristi are far better hats than the Cuenca can ever be. But I'm still wondering about a comparison of the two at roughly the same price point (ie, the best available Cuenca against a reasonably good Montecristi, both at around $400 or less).

T Rick

Practically Family
Nice!

I probably will go with the Montecristi for the first one, and maybe get a Cuenca as a second, some time in the future. By the way, I get that the very best Montecristi are far better hats than the Cuenca can ever be. But I'm still wondering about a comparison of the two at roughly the same price point (ie, the best available Cuenca against a reasonably good Montecristi, both at around $400 or less).

Since you're looking at buying from Bob anyway (a good choice IMO), I'd suggest you ask him about the comparison. No one is in a better position to make it, and from everything I've seen, he'll give you as honest and objective of an opinion as can be made.

new2hats

A-List Customer
I have several cuenca hats for daily use that I have purchased in the past few months and I love them. Just about a month ago I ordered a Fino Monticristi (USA C-Crown) and Extra fine Cuenca (Cuencano) from PB and am waiting on them. I really like the herringbone style of the cuenca, want to see what the monticristi is like.

Will let you know what they're like!

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Iam curious how tall is that crown on the 79 christo?
Nice hat I like that ribbon too, did that come with it ?

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Iam curious how tall is that crown on the 79 christo?
Nice hat I like that ribbon too, did that come with it ?

Thanks for the nice comments.

The crown is 4 3/4" at the front and 5" at the highest point on the sides. I purchased this one from Montecristi Custom Hat Works, in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
I had my wife's and my panamas cleaned and re-blocked just prior to joining FL.

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
I asked PB his advice regarding Cuenca vs. Montecristi at the same price level. His advice was if I was looking for semi calado (ventilated crown), stick to Montecristi. He didn't say why, but I'm going to follow his advice.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I asked PB his advice regarding Cuenca vs. Montecristi at the same price level. His advice was if I was looking for semi calado (ventilated crown), stick to Montecristi. He didn't say why, but I'm going to follow his advice.

That makes two of us, I asked the same question and I am waiting to see the ones he recently purchased this summer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats