Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffed Jeans

Do you cuff or hem your jeans?

• Total voters

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Absinthe_1900 said:
How my Dad wore them in the early 1950s.

Dadearly1950s.jpg

dadandimpthefirstcopy.jpg

Those are great photos! I wonder if he had been wearing cowboy boots, but put those mocs on to relax back at the hacienda?

Feraud

Bartender
Absinthe_1900 said:
How my Dad wore them in the early 1950s.

Dadearly1950s.jpg

dadandimpthefirstcopy.jpg
These are two of the coolest photos I have seen in a long time! :eusa_clap

Btw, I have that same shirt in maroon with white buttons. Bought it from The Gap a few years ago.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
Those are great photos! I wonder if he had been wearing cowboy boots, but put those mocs on to relax back at the hacienda?

I'm not sure, it was a few years before I was born.:p

I believe the photo was taken when my Mom and Dad were traveling in the early 1950s, before they settled in TX in the late 1950's.

I've seen some great outfits we would kill for today, sorting though the old photos. I've got a lot of scanning to do...

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I can't wear cowboy boots, but I've been rolling up my britches cuffs since high school (way back in the 80's). I was into '50's then...kinda still am. ;)

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Some old jeans pics

These are from Eisenstaedt's pictures of New Trier High School, circa 1950. A lot of the jeans seem to be of a relatively similar fit to the ones people wear now. Also, you can see examples of cuffed, un-cuffed, rolled, and let-down.

3279650026_9de96a14ae.jpg

3279649874_5b03368451.jpg

Its true you see a lot of the wider-leg, big turn-up variety in the older pics, but these look pretty standard, with smaller cuffs, and I'm thinking the picture is mid-1930's (although not positive)

3279683302_0fd81289fa_o.jpg

Another fave:

3278828457_8096b651c7.jpg

So it seems there has always been a bit of variety...

Falcon576

New in Town
Cuff or not to cuff?

First off...

GOOD GOD THIS IS THE COOLEST JOINT ON THE WEB!!!

Humble apologies for shouting but I had to get it out of my system. Been kicking a can around here for a bit now, and everything I read is just spot on. No attitudes, no flames... Just honest grown-ups sharing a passion for a better, more gentile time. Thanks. A round for all.

So secondly...

Should a pair of casual-wear khakis like Bill M1's be cuffed or straight-hemmed?

They would usually be worn with Iron Rangers and Filson wool or chambray work shirts, old brown leather or oilskin coats, and of course my modern-thought helmet. (Usually a Stetson Gun Club or Temple. Helps keep the utterly useless noise of the present day from littering up the ole brain casing.)

Thanks for the advice.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hi there Falcon, and welcome!

And thanks for expressing the sentiments about this place (virtual though it may be, inhabited by real people) which I share and heartily second.

About cuffs...I have mixed feelings. Got turned off about them when fairly young because my heels would eventually catch and rip out the stitch holding it in place. Plus trash collection.

I like how they look sometimes, and have a few trousers (including wool Filson whipcords) that still have them, but I'm a geologist, like hiking, walk with my dog in the woods every day, and eventually they just seem like a pointless receptacle for debris. I'm always having to turn them inside out and clean out crap. If your walks are confined to urban environments, my perspective might be largely irrelevant. Again, speaking more of practicality than style.

Personally, with khakis I'd go cuffless. But pick what will make you happy!

All the best,
- Bill

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It sounds like you're looking to use these khakis as wash pants (worn casually and laundered at home) so I'll vote no cuffs, as cuffed trousers are a pain to make look good via home laundering.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Besides the practicality of no cuffs that others mentioned, it also depends on your build. The further you get from tall and slim, as in short and dumpy, the less cuffs are flattering.

Edward

Bartender
I'm a fan of everything cuffed save formal and semi-formal wear (i.e. morning dress trousers, black tie and white tie evening trousers).

Falcon576

New in Town
Thanks for the info.

They will be wash pants. (But I am one mean iron-er.)

As far as build goes, 6 foot, 220lbs. 36W x 34L in most pants. 48 jacket. So I think cuffs will be okay.

I have some Bills M2's with an inch/inch and a quarter cuff. I like them, but they are much smaller/tighter at the ankle.

Hmmmm. Maybe I just have them straight-hemmed long and roll them up.

carldelo

One Too Many
I always heard: "pleated pants get cuffs, flat-front pants do not", but I don't know the reliability of this remark.

I have everything cuffed except flat-front hiking pants. All my other pants are pleated, so have cuffs.

I don't wear khakis any more, but when I did they were pleated and cuffed (it's a Dilbert thing - I'm an engineer and refuse to do the khaki/polo look or the khaki/dress shirt/tie/no jacket look).

The one exception is a pair of heavy pleated silk pants with a pronounced drape to them - cuffs would have dragged the pants down, so I went without. OK, one other exception is a suit pant where the cuff caught on some equipment and ripped, so I had them removed. Oh, and as Edward said above, my tuxedo pants are plain, so that's three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot