Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curious about Aero's King of the Road...

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
So I'm back at it again.. trying to decide if I should get another motorcycle jacket. Over the past two years I've had to talk myself out of buying a Legendary (Schott) Black Stallion hh jacket. I love the old Buco D-pocket look, and I'd much rather pay the $600 or so for the Legendary rather than deal with Stu again for one of his. It had been a while since I'd even looked at the Legendary site until a recent post on the VLJ got me thinking again. Now that the Black Stallion is offered in brown as the Wild Stallion, I think a future purchase is imminent. But...

WildStallion.jpg

Just as I was about to pull the trigger and hit "add to cart" for the Wild Stallion, I started thinking about how my Schott's HH just doesn't hold a candle to my Aero's HH, and decided to check out what MC jackets Aero had to offer. Delightedly I found the King of the Road which I would get in either brown or cordovan and that brought me here.

AeroKOR.jpg

My question would be does anyone on here have an Aero King of the Road? And if so how do you like it, and how's the comfort level when riding (arm hole/reach problems?)? It's got the look I've wanted and I know the quality of HH will be unmatched (my Aero LHB is by far the nicest HH I've owned.. my Schott, Wested and Lost Worlds don't even come close). So... any KOR owners out there?

Tommer

jac

Familiar Face
I'm breakin' in the Cherry (yes Cherry!) KOR and it feels soo good. I've got a couple Legendaries and even an LW. One of the nice things about the KOR is it doesn't have any fiber backing, just pure thick hide. The Legendary fill keeps you really, really warm, which is great if and when you need it, but you don't always.

Make absolutely sure you give the right measurements though, measure with a thermal AND a flannel on. Give yourself plenty of stretch for the bars too. I imagine you're already used to a little sleeve overhang.

If reach and armhole comfort are a concern, send them a pit to shoulder seam measurement and tell them you're a bodybuilder! :D

Tommer
I had one that I bought used(like new)several years ago. It was Aero's black hvy HH...and,in fact,seemed heavier than my other Aero HH jackets. The armholes were fine for me as far as handlebar reach...but this standard jacket is cut very short in the body. It barely cleared my belt...and sadly rode up in the back while riding. So..I finally traded it through Aero for another jacket. They gave me 1/2 of retail..exactly what I payed for it used(got a great deal). I think it is a very nice jacket...if a little body length is added. Mine had the black hvy twill lining..I would of prefered a lightweight wool. Of course..you can't beat Aero's HH compared to the Legendary(Schott)Horsehide..plus notice how much flatter the Aero's shoulder epaulets lay..although the Aero is zans the upper chest pocket. All in all...a premium jacket.
HD
BTW...both have unlined passenger handwarmer pockets as did the original Buco.

Edward

Bartender
HoosierDaddy said:
..although the Aero is zans the upper chest pocket. All in all...a premium jacket.

Shouldn't be a problem to get Aero to add that, I'd have thought....

I have to come clean and say that I have never seen one of these in person, but if you will indulge me with the opportunity to give my two eurocents on aesthetics.... The Aero brown hide looks much richer than the Schott in the picture (which almost looks painted brown to me?). Also, I would humbly suggest that brass coloured hardware would look much 'richer' against brown leather than does the chrome.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the input guys. HD - thanks for letting me know about how short the cut is. That would definitely bother me and if I went with the KOR I'd add to the length. It's almost as if every model Aero ever made has passed through your hands at one time!

Edward, Aero's brown definitely IS much nicer than the Legendary's. That's one of the reasons I'd go with the Aero, that and the quality of the HH. But with the Legendary, I know the fit will be perfect (I have a similarly cut jacket by Schott) and I'm looking to use it as a winter-only riding jacket, so the warm quilted lining is a plus and I wouldn't mind the felt-fused HH as much either. If I went with the Aero I'd have to get the warmest wool lining available.

Jac, any pics of the cherry KOR? How about of your other Legendaries? I'd be interested to see some.

BellyTank.. the Indian Ranger is nice but I'm after the D-pocket look.

Thanks again guys. I have some options to weigh.

Tommer

Tommer
Aero offers..or did offer a quilted red satin lining. I've seen it in a couple of Aero jackets ...a "Highwayman"...and(if I remember correctly)a "Happy Days" model. They do offer more than what is shown on their website. Maybe something to consider....and ask them about.
HD

AeroLeatherUSA

New in Town
HoosierDaddy said:
Tommer
Aero offers..or did offer a quilted red satin lining. I've seen it in a couple of Aero jackets ...a "Highwayman"...and(if I remember correctly)a "Happy Days" model. They do offer more than what is shown on their website. Maybe something to consider....and ask them about.
HD

Hey HD

We've not offered the (insulated) quilted satin lining in quite a while.
Satin just doesn't hold up well when married with heavy front quarter horse and has a tendency to develop wear holes
prematurely in high friction areas such as the inside neck, cuffs and bottom of the body. Aside from sheepskin, the warmest lining we offer is Alpaca wool.

STW

Familiar Face
I'm guessing that Aero would do the Buco J23 style snapped belt loops, sort of like the Lengendary above has. I haven't lived with snapped belt loops like that so if I got them it would be mostly to stay close to the J23 pattern.

AeroLeatherUSA said:
Hey HD

We've not offered the (insulated) quilted satin lining in quite a while.
Satin just doesn't hold up well when married with heavy front quarter horse and has a tendency to develop wear holes
prematurely in high friction areas such as the inside neck, cuffs and bottom of the body. Aside from sheepskin, the warmest lining we offer is Alpaca wool.

Thanks,Mark
Glad you're here! Valued info!
HD

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Quilted satin lining

Mark,

An interesting comment. I owned one of the original Aero Motorcycle jackets for years - it had a green/blue quilted satin lining. I didn't notice any unusual wear.

I think we all have different experiences.

AeroLeatherUSA

New in Town
H.Johnson said:
Mark,

An interesting comment. I owned one of the original Aero Motorcycle jackets for years - it had a green/blue quilted satin lining. I didn't notice any unusual wear.

I think we all have different experiences.

Glad to know it served you well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner