Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom A-2 opinions

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi all,

Wanted your opinions.

If wanting a higher end repro, there are many reasons to order an 'original' makers jacket. Obvious.
However;
What do you think about a 'custom' A-2, ie a Bronco body, with a 15142 collar and rounded pockets.
:eusa_doh:The idea: mainly, to get a preferred fit, with elements from ones favourite 'Contract' A-2s....:eusa_clap
A custom true-to-form A-2, with all the 'authentic' elements and fluff, but with a personal, unique twist.

Just wondering what folks think....?

Hmm. It's your jacket, but I'd bet only one or two companies would even do that. I'd wager (and I suck at gambling) that Good Wear wouldn't do that. Aero might.
I see no problem asking, but I personally would not do it. Seems kinda "sacrilegious" in a weird way. The jackets have too much meaning in my little head to mess with frankenjacket designs. Pre-coffee rambling. Sorry. :)

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I'd wager (and I suck at gambling) that Good Wear wouldn't do that. Aero might.

Good Wear? Maybe but I don't think so. :) This guy is a maniac for historic details and accuracy. I'd like to see his face when somebody asks him for a Rough Wear contract with a Dubow collar.
rofl.gif

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I would imagine patterns from one maker would not fit with the pattern of another, thereby not being able to match sleeves to bodies or collars to bodies. Me, I am an epaulette man, I love a good epaulette...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Certainly! Though why you'd want to butcher a jacket that's given decades of good service is beyond me. My gf is considering getting a M422a, but it'll certainly need adjusting to suit her needs/taste - the USN stencil will go for a start and the mouton collar will be detachable, but I think the pockets will be shaped down a little too. Does that count as heresy?

Graemsay

Practically Family
Unless you're a collector, re-enactor or jacket nerd, the details aren't going to matter. Most of the population probably won't know what an A-2 is, and even if they do, they couldn't identify a Dubow from a Doniger.

Sloane's girlfriend's M422 will probably suit her needs better than a stock jacket. Mixing parts from a variety of A-2 contracts is fair game. After all, all the historic manufacturers interpreted the spec slightly differently. (In fact, I think it'd be fascinating if John Chapman put together his own version.)

If this is sacrilegious to you then you really need to get out more. :D

Despite now being banned from the VLJ Forum, I get what Good Wear are doing, and I'm sorely tempted by their M-422 Monarch...

The makers of the best mil repop's do less interpreting and more tearing down of originals to get the details just right. Many just do lousy copies of a "generic" A-2. Whatever makes you happy. It's your money...

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Thread is titled: "Custom A-2 opinions". I gave mine. You can make a pink one for all I care :)

didn't LW try that for a Japanese company? LW had to blow em out cause they flopped??:D But they were made from great HH!!!

I was just sayin IMO if your going to blow 1000.00 on a jacket and you really do not care about maker fine points, then why not get the pocket flaps or epaulettes you like?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

John will make a "private purchase" Knopf with a custom lining, and that's about it.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hello, from my point of view it is not a fault to mix the different contracts.

If got a A2 with all the features of the 38-1711 made on the pattern of the Bronco. I keept the collar of the Bronco because I like it more than the collar the 38-1711, but it has still the collar stand.

My jacket was made by Aero, and i think that only Aero will do a mixup of different A2´s in one jacket.

Regards,

Olli

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hello, from my point of view that is not a fault to mix the different contracts.

If got a A2 with all the features of the 38-1711 made on the pattern of the Bronco. I keept the collar of the Bronco because I like it more than the collar the 38-1711, but it has still the collar stand.

My jacket was made by Aero, and i think that only Aero will do a mixup of different A2´s in one jacket.

Regards,

Olli

Brettafett

One Too Many
I guess thats the idea... Like the elements of a 15142 for egs, but being a super trim guy, would prefer the body of a Bronco... but don't like the small pockets... Not sure about the 3785's collar stand for 'comfort', etc...
It is controversial ;-)
No polka dots or purple jackets though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt