Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom A-2 opinions

You guys are looking for a fashion jacket - one that takes the A-2 style, and alters it to taste. None of the repop makers who pride themselves in accuracy will do this. Ralph Lauren makes an "A-2". They're not bad, and may be more of what you want. Expensive, but I see them for less on eBay. Do what ya likes fellas. But if you ask for opinions... ;)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You guys are looking for a fashion jacket - one that takes the A-2 style, and alters it to taste. None of the repop makers who pride themselves in accuracy will do this. Ralph Lauren makes an "A-2". They're not bad, and may be more of what you want. Expensive, but I see them for less on eBay. Do what ya likes fellas. But if you ask for opinions... ;)

Scott ,
GoodWear will be producing the A-1 jacket for me in early part of next year.
I was "thinking" to ask for a one piece on the the sleeves instead of the two.
I realize that no matter what is said here, Mr. Chapman who takes pride in
his fine work & maintaining excellent accuracy will do what he believes is correct.
But ,would like to hear the pros & cons.
Thanks,
A-1
Screenshot2012-09-27at105847PM.png
[/IMG]

1 piece sleeve
Screenshot2012-10-04at94459PM.png
[/IMG]

karhu21

One of the Regulars
The only customising that would suit an A2 in my opinion would be artwork on the jacket itself as the design is such a classic, that even the addition of hand warmer pockets would detract from it.
Perhaps a silk lining would be an acceptible customisation.
At the end of the day though its up to you...just my opinion.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I used to read with enjoyment all the comments made here regarding A-2 jackets & the accompanying photos.
At the time ,with some envy, that I didn't know then how to post photos until a FL member from Pasedena or
Butte, Montana , was patient to show me the way. Anyway, I saw the jackets as either dark browns or tan in
color. It was not until I decided to order a jacket from a well known maker who prides himself in his work ,
that I actually began to understand about the details of the jackets. Words like collar stand or the stitching &
so on. I love the style of the collar from one jacket & from another, the curvature of the front pocket flaps.
I also like that some jackets , the inset sleeves are set higher to allow raising the arm without the jacket
pulling up. So without "customising" the classic style of A-2 , I will choose the one that comes closes to what
I seek. BTW, I already have enough of the side entry jackets.
Cheers !

tonypaj

Practically Family
Based on the pictures, I'd go with one piece without contrasting stitching. You asked, my opinion :)

Scott ,
GoodWear will be producing the A-1 jacket for me in early part of next year.
I was "thinking" to ask for a one piece on the the sleeves instead of the two.
I realize that no matter what is said here, Mr. Chapman who takes pride in
his fine work & maintaining excellent accuracy will do what he believes is correct.
But ,would like to hear the pros & cons.
Thanks,

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Based on the pictures, I'd go with one piece without contrasting stitching. You asked, my opinion :)[/QUOTE

I spoke with JC @ GW yesterday ( very pleasant chap) & prior to production , will have 3 weeks to
get specifics down before actual work begins.
I will be receiving a 1930s A-1 style leather jacket (Menlo). Not in the same league as GW ,but if satisfied,
I will check on A-2s by GW. That is why I 'm checking & reading up on the finer points of these jackets &
what can or cannot be done. Like GW told me, "nothing is set in stone " This all may sound like I'm not
sure what I want…actually I would love to have the A-1 & A-2 by GW…:eusa_clap

Brettafett

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments guys,
Some good points/ opinions... Its an interesting topic...
I think some small tweaks could be permitted, without detracting from originality. From my limited experience, it seems there were some slight variations in wartime jackets, just like hides used...

Gancho

One of the Regulars
OK, here is the 38-1711 made on the Bronco pattern. It has the Bronco collar, but the collar stand of the 38. And the jacket is made from heavy horse hide.

Perhaps Andrew would see that the jacket is not a original contract. But nobody else. As I already said, no one noticed that I have a new A2, also people who see me daily.

8066636525_12359b7133_z.jpg

8066637414_5899e1decc_z.jpg

8066638034_363cb9c3e7_z.jpg

8066594348_74c57c17d7_z.jpg

You guys are looking for a fashion jacket - one that takes the A-2 style, and alters it to taste. None of the repop makers who pride themselves in accuracy will do this. Ralph Lauren makes an "A-2". They're not bad, and may be more of what you want. Expensive, but I see them for less on eBay. Do what ya likes fellas. But if you ask for opinions...

No, I´m looking for my perfect A2. Surely i would have ordered a custom A2 if I had been a pilot in the past. :D ;)

regards

Olli

Last edited:

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I've almost always been a purist in most things in life. I like to get pure cotton, wool, linen, silk, etc. for my clothes. When I learned Hindi in University, I went out of my way to use Sanskrit based terms instead of English. I was always the one who would watch a war film and annoy everyone with a comment like, "Their using an f4u-4 when only an f4u1-A was available at that time."

When I got my A2, I tried to avoid the common pitfalls like hand-warmer pockets, two-piece back, snaps on the collar, or cowhide. But my feeling is, if someone likes a popular design like the A2, and wants to change a few things to make it fit better or be more functional - no big deal.

I know plenty of professional pilots, and NONE of them would look at my A2 and say, "Oh, that's no good, you have a Werber sleeve with a Rough Wear collar and Dubow pocket flaps. . ." How many men who manned a Sperry or sat behind a Pratt and Whitney in '42 would say that? None I'd wager - none that I've talked to.

If someone wants a stitch-for-stitch reproduction of a certain historical jacket - more power to him. Yet, if someone wants a jacket that is reminiscent of an earlier jacket (an A2) with a few changes - some people just need to get a life and lighten up. What is an A2 - the vestments of Lord Buddha, the shroud of Jesus??? Do we fear lightning from heaven for varying from "The Canon"?

And I do agree with Gancho, I'm the kind of guy who would have modified his issued jacket - and we have historical evidence that plenty of pilots did so. Whose to say that every airman in the war was of the mindset of, "My jacket will be a piece of history, I'd better not customize it."???

Last edited:
...And I do agree with Gancho, I'm the kind of guy who would have modified his issued jacket - and we have historical evidence that plenty of pilots did so. Whose to say that every airman in the war was of the mindset of, "My jacket will be a piece of history, I'd better not customize it."???
While again, I don't care what you or anyone does to their jackets, I simply stated many makers won't do it. But the point you raise is not correct. Lots of men altered their issued jackets. That's not the same as a maker altering the contract. I think it's completely fine to make changes, just don't call it an A-2 after lol
And just to reset expectations in this discussion - the OP asked for "opinions". All of these are opinions - I think you're the one taking it too seriously... ;)

Last edited:

Otter

One Too Many
this thread is beginning to remind me of a song I heard a long time ago about a guy building a caddy by apropriating parts from the production line as he built them over the years, somthing lik "I got it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime!":D

this thread is beginning to remind me of a song I heard a long time ago about a guy building a caddy by apropriating parts from the production line as he built them over the years, somthing lik "I got it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime!":D
The Man In Black...

Otter

One Too Many
:eusa_clap Thanks, I should have known that!

Well, I left Kentucky back in '49
An' went to Detroit workin' on a 'sembly line
The first year they had me puttin' wheels on cadillacs

Every day I'd watch them beauties roll by
And sometimes I'd hang my head and cry
'Cause I always wanted me one that was long and black.

One day I devised myself a plan
That should be the envy of most any man
I'd sneak it out of there in a lunchbox in my hand
Now gettin' caught meant gettin' fired
But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired
I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand.

[CHORUS]
I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
While again, I don't care what you or anyone does to their jackets, I simply stated many makers won't do it. But the point you raise is not correct. Lots of men altered their issued jackets. That's not the same as a maker altering the contract. I think it's completely fine to make changes, just don't call it an A-2 after lol
And just to reset expectations in this discussion - the OP asked for "opinions". All of these are opinions - I think you're the one taking it too seriously... ;)

I agree with some points that Azienizen brought up & also ButteMT61….but

Is there such a thing as a correct opinion" ?[huh]

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Butte -
Don't take me too seriously, I'm just having a little fun with this whole issue. ;)

You are correct, I don't disagree with anything you said - some producers won't vary certain things about their jackets.

Butte - Don't take me too seriously, I'm just having a little fun with this whole issue. ;)You are correct, I don't disagree with anything you said - some producers won't vary certain things about their jackets.
OK, good :) I'm sometimes not sure how a post reads. I might be a little more conservative with the classics. I just think of the guys that earned them and want to be respectful. But yeah, it's only a jacket, isn't it. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany