Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Allen Edmonds "Chestnut" Spectator Wingtips

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Just Another Tease I Found in the Sydney Powerhouse Museum Shoes Collection

A10951 Shoes, pair, mens, wing tip, lace-up,leather / buckskin / metal, and shoe trees (2), metal / wood, B Nagy / Geoha, Vienna, Austria, 1938

Description
Shoes, pair, mens, wing tip, lace-up,leather / buckskin / metal, and shoe trees (2), metal / wood, B Nagy / Geoha, Vienna, Austria, 1938

Pair of men's handmade, laced, two tone, wing tip shoes of welted construction, with rounded toe and stacked heel (-1:2). The shoes consist of brown leather and white suede uppers, the mud guard and lugs in brown leather and the remainder in white suede, with the edges finely gimped. The shoes feature 5 pairs of lace holes with brown cotton laces, lined in leather with a leather sock. The leather heel features panel pins around the top piece for reinforcement. The leather sole also features a double row of panel pins around the edge.
The wooden shoe trees (-3:4), feature a hinged mechanism to enable them to be removed from the shoes. They are not original with the shoes.
Production notes
Shoes made by B Nagy in Vienna, Austria. The origin of the shoe trees is unknown, they are not original with the shoes

Refers to the shoes, the date of the shoe trees is unknown
History notes
The shoes belonged to the uncle of the donor, Mr Hans Schiller, who migrated to Australia from Vienna in 1938-1939
Acquisition credit line
Gift of Ziegler Aviva, 1984

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/col...2114&search=two+tone+mens+shoes&images=&c=&s=

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=172114&img=39783

There are links on the side to the remaining larger historical collection. It may take a minute to boot up. Enjoy!

Graziano and Girling some different modern two tones

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
My pair like this from AE showed up this week...I have to say they are beeeyooootiful. Can't wait to break them out this spring!

Now I'm thinking..."do I need a pair of black and white specs, too?" :)

Zohar said:
For those of you that have been following this, I got my custom order Allen Edmonds "Broadstreet" wingtip spectator shoes in today. I wanted a pair that looked like they were deadstock from the 30's. These will be my definitive summer shoes. Can be worn dress, or casual.

Specs are as follows.

Model: Broadstreet
Size: 15C
Color: Burnished Chestnut and White Golf
Sole: Single welt oak leather
Edge Dressing: Dark Brown
Heel: Black Rubber (edges are colored dark brown from the edge dressing)

These cost $100 over the cost of the standard Black and White Broadstreets because of the custom color. Outside of finding a vintage pair, this is the only way to get a pair of shoes like this. I highly recommend them. My saleswoman was Lyn Raffensperger. She can be contacted at Allen Edmonds Shoes: 1-800-235-2348.

specs6-vi.jpg

specs5-vi.jpg

specs1-vi.jpg

Sorry about the reflection here...
specs2-vi.jpg

specs3-vi.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:

Meridians

Bad to the ...Bourbon and Bone

Ramsay Spec

New can't remember the name

A special order using Bone (McNeils?)

Well, the other two look great, but the reverse brown and white cap toes don't make sense. Just where you are going to have trouble keeping shoes white, they use white.

The real Henry

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
Well, the other two look great, but the reverse brown and white cap toes don't make sense. Just where you are going to have trouble keeping shoes white, they use white.

That's right! That doesn't make sense, BUT it does look cool!:cool2:

Regards,
Henrik

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
cookie said:

Meridians

Bad to the ...Bourbon and Bone

Ramsay Spec

New can't remember the name

A special order using Bone (McNeils?)

Well, I checked with AE about the Meridians, and they "never made the final line". As for the McNeils, it's not a special order, it's a color variation that is already available on the website.

Mike

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Okay, quick question. Now that have these awesome shooooooz, I want to make sure they're properly cared for. Suggestions as to polish/cream to apply prior to wearing them? I don't want to use something that will goof them up.

I usually use Meltonian neutral on my (much cheaper) saddle shoes, and on my tan Aldens, but just thought I'd check before charging ahead...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Cleaning Speccies

I think there has been a post about this little problem for Speccie tragics like yours truly and sundry FLers.

I found the pics on one of the eBay seconds (I suppose) sites. FL protocols do not allow live auction info. Maybe they were one offs and, therefore, outletted. Just keeping youse in the loop on this subject of interest.

My next question is - why are they all bringing so much dough on eBay and - is Fletch right after all?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cookie said:
I found the pics on one of the eBay seconds (I suppose) sites. FL protocols do not allow live auction info. Maybe they were one offs and, therefore, outletted. Just keeping youse in the loop on this subject of interest.

My next question is - why are they all bringing so much dough on eBay and - is Fletch right after all?

They were on the cover of the AE catalog, but if they didn't make into final production there would still be samples floating around. They ought to be in size 9D, which is AEs standard sample size.

obiwan

Familiar Face
I just ordered a pair today, thanks guys for finding these.

FYI Lyn is no longer with AE, she retired.

Oh and I'm a new guy around here, been on aaac for a short time, saw this site mentioned in the SF Cron article.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Obiwan - Welcome aboard me old son

Great to have you aboard mate but sorry to see you fell immediately into the spectator tragics ditch on you first outing! And not just looking - buying to boot - not drowning - waving right?

obiwan

Familiar Face
cookie said:
Great to have you aboard mate but sorry to see you fell immediately into the spectator tragics ditch on you first outing! And not just looking - buying to boot - not drowning - waving right?

For some reason I have a fondness for the specs, I have the black and white broadstreets and the McNeils in the bourbon and bone. I just wish spring would get here so I can wear them!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Speccies and Foyle's War

I was devastated to see the last episode of the current series which was last Sunday night.

One of the highlights was a scene where the Nazi spy/Fascist Spanish ambassador tried to get these two dorks to bomb the Laboratory where they were developing the Pathfinders bomb.

These two clowns try to rob his palatial estate and get caught by him and get blackmailed into helping him bomb/sabotage the Allies.

Anyway when Foyle comes to interview him the Spaniard is done up in a rakish smoking jacket and 40s dark slacks and to top off the Mediterranean clobber in contrast to the austerity of Foyle and the UK - a nice pair of black and white specs!

Washington

New in Town
Ok, I'm late into this thread...but

floatinjoe said:
Well, I checked with AE about the Meridians, and they "never made the final line". As for the McNeils, it's not a special order, it's a color variation that is already available on the website.

Mike

Aren't those bottom pair the McClain's? Either way, I spotted a pair in the AE store in Cincinnati on Monday during a business trip. Mind you those are the first pair of specs I've tried on but D*MN they were sharp. I had on a grey glen plaid suit and they even worked with that. It took everything I had not to buy them on the spot, but my wife would have killed me.

Hopefully the sale I was working on there goes through and I can pick them up.

-Washington

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24