Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Hat Liners?

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
One is somewhat limited by the fabric choices. All of the pinup fabrics that I have seen for sale are "busy," probably because blanks would look odd in a tropics shirt, which is what they are usually used for. I think the Black Sheep option is a little less so - don't know where their fabric comes from. I do believe theirs is the primogenitor of the style, so props may be due.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

That explains that. As a woman, I need a silk liner, cotton wouldn't do because the friction against my hair would ravage it and give me split ends, which is why many women sleep with silk scarves on at night.

viclip

Practically Family
The silk shirts which I never wear gracing the back of my closet would have enough material for several hat liners, I'm sure.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
They sell silk at fabric stores. You could buy a couple of yards to outfit all of your hats. I love old fashioned silk liners that have the maker's name and address stamped on it. It's a simple and elegant touch, IMO.

John Galt

Vendor
Here is a couple of my first tries at hat liners.

I think a complimentary color on the siding might yield a more pleasing look. By that I mean a color that transitions better with the fabric at the tip than the black, which does frame it, but more obviously breaks the pattern.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
John thanks for the advice.Right now I'm experimenting.I will get some different fabric colors to see how that works.Thanks again.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Ok,after making a pattern cutting the fabric,sewing the fabric.Then takeing it apart,makeing a new pattern,starching the fabric sewing again.I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

John Galt

Vendor
I like the new ones. They look very good. Your execution seems to have greatly improved. Hazzah!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
My personal taste is still more in line with vintage type liners - piping, pleats and scalloped seams, no hinder - framing an elegant logo/logotype. That aside, I must say, that your new attempts are a lot more graphically pleasing to me :)

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
D man, looking good! I can honestly say I know what effort and patience goes into putting a liner together and it looks like you have gotten it down pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24