Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Hide briefcases

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I think that my review from several months ago may have been lost in the crash. I've got the 1945 case and hardly ever use it because it's so poorly made. Sure, the leather is as thick as a pair of work boots, but there is zero attention to detail.

When I ordered it, I paid for the embossing of my initials. It was done so sloppily that I barely took the bag out of the UPS box before sending it back. I got it back with a small oval of leather stitched over the old embossing, with my initials stamped into that. It looked good.

However, upon using the case more than once, it became very clear that the flap was not properly lined up with the base of the case, meaning that the "male" end of the clasp did not line up with the "female" end. Yes, I could pull it a bit to the side to close it. This, however, puts very uneven tension on the straps, stretching one, while allowing the other to loudly jingle in its loose buckle.

The shoulder strap that comes with the bag is pure nonsense. The case is meant to be held by hand and is very awkward as a shoulder bag. This was the least of my worries, as I had intended to carry the bag.

I bought this bag after hearing some good things here and the ad in Classic Style. Since then, there have been some negative reviews posted here that seem pretty consistent with the problems that I've encountered.

I would strongly recommend that you look elsewhere for a bag.

poetman

A-List Customer
So for those of you who are disappointed with Custom Hide, is is that they messed up your order or that the manufacturing is poor? Are there other, comprably priced, vendors you recommend?

srivats

Familiar Face
poetman said:
So for those of you who are disappointed with Custom Hide, is is that they messed up your order or that the manufacturing is poor? Are there other, comprably priced, vendors you recommend?

I don't think my bad (linked above) is a bad one at all ... there is not one stitch that is out of place. My review was based on comparing it to the really high end bags - SAB, Filson and the like. I am pretty sure that it will last 10+ years. The best part of dealing with customhide is that they are willing to listen to any crazy idea you have and make the bag YOU want. Just shoot them an email and ask if they can do what you have in mind.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There was no mess up to my order. I would consider a mess up something along the lines of embossing the wrong initials, providing me with the wrong color, or some other mistake attributable to simple human error.

What I received was a poorly manufactured product. Without any intent to belittle Sri's bag, I can see the stamp marks around his first two initials and the third initial is crooked. On my bag, prior to my sending it back, the embossing was far worse. Again, this is a small issue, but indicative of a bigger problem.

Further, as I wrote above, the case doesn't even close properly. As this case's sole functions are open, contain, and close, it doesn't pass the "laugh test."

poetman said:

kools

Practically Family
Wow...I'm sorry to hear about some of the problems you folks are having. I don't have pictures, but my bag (purchased March 2007) is problem-free. Good stitching, closes fine, good-looking initials; I don't use the strap so that's not an issue for me. It's not the "finest" leather I've ever seen, but it certainly is not a problem. It does exactly what I want & looks good. If I lost it, I would buy another. I am quite happy with my bag & others have commented on it favorably to me.

univibe88

One Too Many
Wow, that is beautiful! I already own a briefcase, a pretty nice one that is still fully functional. But I really like your bag. I want one!

poetman

A-List Customer
I'm more interested in the quality of the bag and its perceived durability. I have a bag that used to belong to my father, and I'm sure it wasn't very expensive--I know it's genuine leather (I don't know if there are different grades)--I use it everyday, and it works just fine. It only suffers from normal wear and tear. 10 years for a bag is a short life span for what I'm considering. Are these Custom Hides that poorly made? Are the other companies with comparable styles?

Thanks!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The leather and stitching are certainly solid. With mine, however, I expect that one strap will wear out (break) before the other. As Sri said, I'm also not sure how the rough inside will fair over time. At this point, I use it so little that I'll probably never find out.

People seem to like Saddleback Leather, but I don't think that they offer anything that looks like more of a briefcase than a travel bag. I'd love to see one of their large suitcases in person.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Doublegun said:
Going way back here. Any chance you can post some recent photos of your brief case?

It appears that the last time android signed onto the lounge was back in 2007, so don't hold your breath.

poetman

A-List Customer
Custom Hide Owners

I've been looking at a Custom Hide bag for some time now, but I can't get past that steep price tag, so i have some questions for those with Custom Hide experience. First, if you have a bag from them, are you happy with it? Is the craftsmanship worth the price? Secondly, if I order from them, I'd like to customize my order but am unsure what I would do besides add another compartment. What customization suggestions might you suggest?

Thanks!

poetman

A-List Customer
Doublegun said:
Just ordered a 1945 Computer Bag (Whiskey) that I should have Monday. I'll post pictures when I get it.

Thanks. A few people have expressed some dissatisfaction with their orders, and I've seen pictures of Custom Hide's 1945 bag that looks completely different from what's on their website. I can't find anything used, and I want a specific style.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Custom Hide 1945 briefcase

I've owned a Custom Hide 1945 briefcase since last Christmas. It's a great piece and very durable. But my handle keeps coming un-stuffed: The two leather plugs keep working their way out, followed by some unsightly yellow foam rubber. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do about it?

Thanks,

Dave

Doublegun

Practically Family
Sorry to hear your having a problem. I have had mine since April and haven't had any problems. Have you contacted Custom Hide? Given the level or pre-sale support I received I would be very surprised if they did not go out of their way to make you happy.

Please let me know how they respond.

Good luck,

Doublegun

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Doublegun said:
Sorry to hear your having a problem. I have had mine since April and haven't had any problems. Have you contacted Custom Hide? Given the level or pre-sale support I received I would be very surprised if they did not go out of their way to make you happy.

Please let me know how they respond.

Good luck,

Doublegun

Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy. I was just wondering if others had encountered the problem and what they did about it.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters