Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom homburg

Donlope

New in Town
Hi,

I am looking at getting a custom homburg made and I'm not sure who to go with. I am looking at either Leon Drexler or The Custom Batter out of Buffalo. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

DL

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Northwest Hats can do some nice brims also.
12471706_1108722632473376_3938871138966490378_o.jpg
12466262_1108722815806691_7577673758451057576_o.jpg
12465969_1108722712473368_5515317361723161173_o.jpg

Is this your Homburg from Mike? I am coming up soon in his queue and am having a hard time deciding between a brown Homburg and a lighter shade/lighter weight spring/summer hat. I probably will get both eventually but can't decide which way to jump first. I do like the look of this one.
What colour is the felt? Is it beaver or bunny? Could it be the FEPSA brown rabbit felts Mike has in stock??

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Is this your Homburg from Mike? I am coming up soon in his queue and am having a hard time deciding between a brown Homburg and a lighter shade/lighter weight spring/summer hat. I probably will get both eventually but can't decide which way to jump first. I do like the look of this one.
What colour is the felt? Is it beaver or bunny? Could it be the FEPSA brown rabbit felts Mike has in stock??
No. Sorry. Its from his Facebook page. I wanted to suggest it to the original poster. DOES MIKE HAVE FEPSA RABBIT IN STOCK??? :)

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
As a passionate lover of homburg my choice would definitely towards Leon Drexler that has a catalog four versions of this hat.
In order of my preference:
- Londoner
- Dusseldorfer
- Budapester
- ST. Urbain
Every interpretation has its own character as homburgs.
They were made in different style from the European hatters to match the taste of costumers

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
I ordered Homburg from Stephen Temkin at Leon Drexler some time ago.

I am to preside at a wedding in late May and took it as a reason to at last get a formal hat. (A silk plush top hat is more traditional and I've loved them since I was seven, but a Homburg seemed more suitable) I had planned for a long time to order a satin finished Homburg (standard or JLH variant) from Optimo, but by happenstance came across mention of Leon Drexler and was immediately very taken with the hats in his portfolio and Venetian finish. I was unfamiliar with him, but the few times that he's been mentioned here have been approving and the particular prominence he gave to his hats with brim curls encouraged me, as such treatments are uncommon, even among bespoke hats. (The account of how the Luxembourger was made urged me into action too)

I arranged a custom order from him for a black hat in Venetian finished felt with black silk ribbon and the crown block of the Luxembourger. We will determine the specifications of the brim and its edge when the construction has progressed further. Somewhat unfortunately, because the Venetian finish requires treating the felt with pure Lanolin that can take a long time to fully set, the hat might not be ready in time for the wedding, but I imagine that it won't be the last occasion that I have to wear it.

I can't speak as to the quality of a hat that I don't have in my hands, but Mr. Temkin has been very pleasant to deal with and suitably responsive.

He also recently apprised me in correspondence that he will soon increase his prices, especially for hats that require particular care, so it might be best to decide soon. (That was enough for me to throw caution to the wind by ordering a Stroller, which I was immediately taken with when first surveying his portfolio, in winter blue Angora finished felt with a dark blue-grey 'Blazer' ribbon and chrome 'galloon edge' as a travel hat)

I really like the St. Urbainer too, despite the narrow brim, and was almost as immediately taken with it as I was with the Stroller, but I can't imagine having a reason to order one. The Scribbler and Gaffer are pretty neat looking too, if he will accommodate my preference for wider brims. I will want a spring and summer travel hat in the future and he offers a welterweight treatment...

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Stephen Temkin (Leon Drexler) does really beautiful work, using the most delicious vintage silk ribbon from Southern France (the same Optimo use for their finest Optimo 1000 hats). He can also do a beautiful hidden stitching on his wider brim bindings.

Bob (Black Sheep) would be my second choise. Those two hatters seem to me to be the best, when it comes to classic European styles, finishes and details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot