Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Jackets

dmcburn75

New in Town
Hello, does anyone know of a good company that makes custom leather jackets? I have a few ideas in my head that amount to an amalgam of various flight jackets on the market and I would like to see the idea come to fruition. Thanks!

Anders

One of the Regulars
Magnoli Clothiers will make anything you'd like in that regard. Can't say I've owned a jacket of theirs myself, but I recall several folks around here being satisfied with their products. Also I believe Magnoli is a member here, which couldn't hurt if you have questions.

Longshanks

New in Town
Hi--
I originally chose Magnoli because I felt that the jacket was more likely to fit the way I wanted it to--and it does ("Open Road" model in goat). Unfortunately, it fits so well I'm now keen to buy more jackets...

Anyway, I would urge you to make an exhaustive list of exactly what you want, no detail being too small. It may tack on extra costs (or not) or time (or not) but down to the smallest detail it will be your jacket. Good luck & have fun!

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
joHNNY eXPERT here...

wow...i'm a relative short-timer here and feel like 'the' expert being able to recommend AeRO

they seem to be among the top one, two or three, at least, for quality and repro exceLLence, according to fedoraLoungers and other reviewers...

but my experience with them comes, oddLy, from this being the oNLY leather jacket i've ordered from a premium jacket maker, eVah... having gotten all my other stuff from ebay, or cockpitusa/uswings/etc

i was kind of bLown away by the treatment i got...whilst my jacket should be here in another week or so, i'm not concerned with the quality as i've seen everyone else's pix and raVes about aero here on 'the' LounGe...

but if the question is 'CuSToM' leather jackets, i may be the person to ask...my 'custom' job was to take aero's motorcycle jacket most closely resembling the ww2 LuftwaFFe 'hartmann', and then choose every option they offer and make it as close to the hartmann as possible, whilst still having it be a tRue post ww2 motorcycle jacket (rather than a 'repro')...what it appears i've got coming is a hartmann minus only the neck and waist front buckles...the 'highwayman' i ordered was so close to the hartmann (as lewis leather's corsair was so close that the makers of the flick 'battle of britain' ordered their hartmann-style jackets for the pic out of the lewis catalog at the time)

the point being, i talked to mark, their u.s. rep, and told him this boFFo thing i wanted to do...plus some sizing questions that required very specific attention, and this guy was amaZing...

while the rep on soMe premium leather jacket companies here on the Lounge has often been 'won't suffer fools' or 'no custom sizes'...mark suffered my fooLishness, and super-custom sized my size (a need for basically a size 45 vs. a 44 or 46)...

i'd say to look at aero's inCredibLe page of jackets they already offer, and if you are trying to miX and matCh, find what you like and then give their u.s. rep mark a call or email and see what i mean

http://www.picturetrail.com/aeroleatherusa

boY...noW i feeL like such an experienced jacKet aDDicT...making the biG LeaGue recommendations...soon i'LL learn how to leave alone the 'caP' button on my keyboard...

one daY at a time

dmcburn75

New in Town
Wow, that sounds very exciting johnny. The Luftwaffe jacket is my favorite and number one choice as well. What is your take on the Eastman Luftwaffe jacket? I've been conversing with US authentic about getting a custom Luftwaffe style jacket made... with the declining US dollar it makes more sense for me to buy in the states and for about $550-600 I can get my own custom jacket.

After some research I kind of like the idea of having my own Luftwaffe jacket made, as the pilots were not issued stock jackets, they were mostly all private purchases.

ins0ma

New in Town
I definitely agree with Johnny about Aero jackets. Of course, I'm fairly biased, having just bought one myself. If you look at the "Custom Highwayman" thread on this forum you'll get a pretty good idea of my experience with Aero from start to finish.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR