Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Linen Suit "The Nassau"

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
cookie said:
I appreciate you have the inspiration from the Gittes suit but those 'lazy' lapels should be identical IMHO.

I was going to have them remade, but after trying it on, I was happy enough with the look for myself and didn't want to bother. If someone wants this suit made with the lapels from the film, we should be able to match them now.

Kind regards,
Indy

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Great suit. I would advise your customer to get a vest made. It would not cost much and he would have it before the fabric is no longer qvailable or doesn't match anymore.

great look in the DB. The fabric is nice but kind of reminds me of the 80s. But I guess it isn't a bad think that the 80s ws doing a bit of a 50s revival thing.

Beautiful cut.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I don't know if the Chinatown suit actually has an action back or if that's just the way one of the pleats is "poofing out". The back of my version is definitely more fitted though.

Yes, what about your avatar?

Kind regards,
Indy

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Just beautiful, Indy! Nicholson's suits in Chinatown fit him just right and draped perfectly. All the details were authentic to L.A. at the period.

Both of your recent masterpieces are right on spot. Congratulations! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
The original by contrast:

I appreciate you have the inspiration from the Gittes suit but those 'lazy' lapels should be identical IMHO.

I notice that in a Classic Style mag there is an article on Humphrey Bogart at his 1938 wedding to Mayo Methot wearing an almost identical Saville Row suit as Jake Gittes in Chinatown

Otium

New in Town
Getting Measurements Taken Reliably

Awesome suit Indy. I've wanted one like that for some time. I'm hoping for some help here and I can think of no better place to ask. This will be the first time I've had a suit made and I don't know how to find a good tailor to actually help take measurements and not screw it up. What is the best way to actually find a good tailor to take all those measurements with confidence? Obviously I have no problem compensating them for their time.

From what I've read about Indy's suits they're great as long as I provide good measurements. My dilemma is that I have no faith in my ability to take measurements and less faith in any of the local "tailors." They may be good, but my inexperience makes me hesitant to put faith in their ability to "get the armholes right" as so many here obsess over (correctly I might add).

Gaige

One of the Regulars
Otium said:
From what I've read about Indy's suits they're great as long as I provide good measurements. My dilemma is that I have no faith in my ability to take measurements and less faith in any of the local "tailors." They may be good, but my inexperience makes me hesitant to put faith in their ability to "get the armholes right" as so many here obsess over (correctly I might add).

I feel your pain with this.

Indy, the suit looks incredible!

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Just got this review from one of my customers who got this suit:

"For four hundred bucks you can buy an off-the-rack blazer at a suit warehouse. You'll look reasonably sharp, and nobody will ever notice. Or you can get yourself Magnoli's Nassau linen suit. You'll look like the president of a small island republic. People will ask you foreign policy questions. This is a suit meant for wearing in the torrid corners of the world. It conveys a message: "I have four passports, three of them real".

This thing is straight out of the moving pictures: the belted back with the inverted shoulder pleat is perfect for hunching over the bar of a sultry, gecko-ridden Tahitian hotel as Bacall strides past. The expandable pockets add a dash of safari and it's cut with a little of the old soldier in it.

Take off the jacket, expose the buttoned-in braces and fishtail trouser back, and women will come to you looking for help getting off that damnable island-- Somewhere, anywhere, just take them with you. Add a Panama hat and prepare to be mistaken for John Houston.

The made-to-measure fit ensures it looks bespoke right out of the package, the construction is excellent, and when people ask where you got such a handsome kit, it's a pleasure to be able to say, "Oh, I had it made by my tailor in New Zealand." I got mine in the stock low-wrinkle blend fabric for frequent business travel to equatorial regions. It can take being rolled up in a suitcase as well as any of the nonsensical fifty-pocket microfiber 'travel jackets' for sale from the big vacation outfitters, but makes you look like you've lived at your destination for years, probably exporting jade, silk, and women in trouble."

:D

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn