Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Shirts Arrived

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
I don't know if any ladies have ordered from them yet. However, I added my fiance's measurements to the list and we are going to get her some custom items as well.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
I just ordered a shirt for Angela, my fiance. When it comes it, I'll post on that too.

One thing that was not mentioned here is the communication from mycustomtailor.com (MCT). I really like it and have added it to the suggestion hopper for my company's e-commerce system.

More to come...

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
It's been mentioned in this thread that MySuitShop charges shipping while MyCustomTailor shipping offers free shipping, thus explaining the difference in price. Researching this a little bit I have found it not to be the case. Rather, MySuitShop charges 25% of your total for shipping, whereas MyCustomTailor charges 20%. If this is the case, that you end up paying nearly as much shipping for one as for the other, then why the disparity in price? For reference:

on MySuitShop, a six button with one to close, peaked lapel, DB suit in charcoal gray 120 Cool Cashmere Tropical Light Weight fabric will cost $135 + $33.75 = $168.75 shipped

The same exact cut suit with the same exact fabric (fabric #101) costs $205 + $41 = $246 on MyCustomTailor.

All options are exactly the same, the fabric and cut are the same, and technically the company is the same. Why then the difference in price?

To further add to the confusion, MySuitShop requires you to shop from the 'Big and Tall' section if you are over 5' 11" or have over a size 50 jacket, while MyCustomTailor does not. The big and tall section costs another $25 for a double breasted suit before 'shipping' making it: $160 +$40 = $200

Which is still almost $50 cheaper than the exact same suit on MyCustomTailor.

If anyone had any insight as to this one it would be greatly appreciated [huh]

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Perhaps it's something like PanamaBob mentioned with Monticristi hats a while ago.

"Grandma perfect hat, we pay $200.00 for the hat.
Mom, nearly perfect, we pay $150.00 for the hat.
Dad, a little hungover, we pay $90.00 for the hat.
Big Brother, too interested in the chicks, we pay $50.00 for the hat.
Little sister, just starting, we pay $25.00, for the hat."

Perhaps orders to mycustomtailor are sent to more skilled tailors where orders to mysuitshop go to people who are still learning their chops. That may be worth the extra $50 to have a slightly more watchful eye over the work.

Another theory is that some people, like me, don't want to buy from a big and tall rack. They want to buy clothes that are for them. Of course that does not explain the price difference but it's just a theory.

And, I see a wider variety of services offered a mysuitshop. For example, I see you can arrange a visit with their Master Tailor for a detailed fitting. It appears you can order leather items from the as well.

Just some thoughts on some good questions. Thanks for doing the legwork on the price breakdown.
I'll let you know as I find out more.

Pyro.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Thanks Pyro :)

I just want to be clear guys, I'm not griping! $250 for a custom fitted suit is still an incredible bargain, but $168 for the same exact suit is even more attractive to me. I'm just wondering where the extra money is going.

Anyone else who has had experience with them like to chime in?

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Well, my shirt came in today and I must say it is really nice. I just wanted a classic white shirt that fit me and that's exactly what I got.

It's much better than the K&G Men's Mart shirt I am wearing now.

The collar and cuffs are extra stiff and the shirt pocket is reinforced which I like.

MCT03.jpg

MCT01.jpg

(Sorry for the blurred photo)

The buttons have extra stiching and appear to be solid.

MCT02.jpg

MCT04.jpg

MCT05.jpg

I think I was pretty generous on the measurements. I may have to have it taken in a little. When you order, on of the options is for a tight fit, loose fit, baggy fit. I think I chose baggy and that's what I got.

All in all, I had a very good experience with them and I look forward to getting more clothes from them in the future.

Cheers,
Pyro.

JeffW

Familiar Face
New to the forum and thought I would post just get my feet wet.

I get my shirts from these guys. I have been very happy with them. Heard about them from my sister whose husband works in the State Dept.

http://www.dress-for-success.com/

Check out the article on them at

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5466018

I have not ordered a suit from them as I usually don't wear a suit often. I am very happy with however. I have probably ordered 30 shirts from them over the past 2 years.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Congrats on the custom shirts! Since I moved to Asia, I've been getting them cheap just about whenever I can! The funny thing about being a teenager with tailored shirts is that when you grow a little, it makes a world of difference. I think my arms grew about a cm or 2, but suddenly 2 or 3 of my shirts don't look right anymore! Strange that this doesn't the french cuffs though...

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I have ordered three jackets of them which are knockoffs of a Canali which I now have. Two have arrived and fare well when directly compared to them. Production of these jackets has been rapid.

In the spring, I ordered several linen shirts which are knockoffs of Orvis' linen shirts. They are quite different, being Italian rather than Irish linen (basically bright and sharp rather than cool and mellow.) They fit quite nicely while the Orvis' are voluminous. ( You can get an incredible range of colors from them.)

I've ordered some dress oxford cloth shirts from them which compare to some TM Lewin shirts I own.

I've ordered a linen suit from them; and some jokesters now are telling me I look like Tom Wolfe In spite of that, I am pleased with it. :)

I probably won't order a topcoat from them because Orvis is now offering one which I like. I'll definitely get more shirts from them next year.

I would really recommend them for your idiosyncrasies. If you want to look like Bogey in Casablanca, Brando in Guys and Dolls, Astaire in just about anything (or even Scotty in Star Trek :) ) they really can do whatever you want at a reasonable price.

I haven't dealt with them long enough to tell how durable their work is, though.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Order #2

I have received my 3 shirts and jacket and they fit great. The jacket I wish would have been a little darker blue but it will work. It's not the midnight blue as I was hoping.

The shirts, however, are a perfect fit. When I received the package, I tried the shirts on and kept the last one on because it was more comfortable than the one I had worn to work. A well made shirt makes wearing a tie very comfortable. I doubt if I'll buy another shirt off the rack again.

I'll take photos when the shirts come back from the cleaners.

Pyr.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
The jacket I wish would have been a little darker blue but it will work. It's not the midnight blue as I was hoping.

You can order swatches from them of various types of cloth in order to predetermine its color, texture, etc..

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars

Yea. I knew they did that but it didn't occur to me to ask. Good tip.

Needless to say, I am very happy with the jacket's fit. And since this is the first jacket that has ever really fit properly, I am satisfied.

Pyr.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
AAF Tunic and Ike Jacket

Okay! I am making progress here!

Recently I purchased a VERY beautiful and absolutely mint Hart, Schaffner & Marx *chocolate* tunic on eBay. The ONLY problem is that it's a 38R and I'm a 46L. In another auction I picked up a similar condition private purchase Ike Jacket. I have found a source for the correct weight fabric but haven't worked up the courage to explain to my wife why I plan to spend $1,200 to $1,500 to have a local custom tailor make these two jackets for me. NOW, thanks to you kind chaps, I have an alternative!

Anyone have experience in working with them to make an exact duplicate of a garment? Please advise.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars

Zemke Fan said:
Anyone have experience in working with them to make an exact duplicate of a garment? Please advise.

I have not. But when I do, I am going to send them all the data I can. I will send them pics from every angle and seam. Some will have a ruler across the fabric so they can see just how wide to make a pleat or whatever.

Ideally, if you can send them the master garment, that usually helps the most. Then they can look at it and copy it.

I did that with a private tailor once and the shirt was identical...except it was in my size.

Ghos7a55assin said:
Has the shirt shrunk any? I have gotten custom made shirts here in Taiwan, and the fabric has shrunk in the sleeves and collar and render them unwearable unless I roll up the sleeves.

No shrinkage. It probably has to do with the fact that I take all my clothes to the cleaners. You might inquire if the fabric you are selecting is pre-shrunk.

Cheers,
Pyro.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Custom Tailoring

When I worked in Hong Kong in the 1980s an old tailor made me a bespoke suit from his back catalogue of designs going back to before WW2. He had literally saved every men's clothing pattern and variation the shop had sold since his father started in business in the 1930s and would make anything to your measurements. Some of the 'safari suit' patterns were amazing! And the dress shirts!

One of the suits he made me which I still wear in Summer is to a design that was popular with 'expat' British administration workers in the pre-war period. It is a travel suit in silk (not the ladies' kind) with a bi-swing back. You can just roll it up and stick it in your luggage and when you have shaken it and hung it up the creases just fall out overnight. You can also wash it before you go to bed, hang it over the bath and it's dry in the morning. I guess it would now be called a 'technical' fabric - but I haven't seen anything man-made that drapes as well as this.

I guess he charged about the same for a two-piece suit as you would pay for a shirt from LLBean. There used to be a lot of tailors like him in HK. I haven't been back since 1999, so I don't know whether you can still get work done like that - it would almost be worth a holiday there just to restock your wardrobe! I'll be working in Shanghai next year - I may see if I can find such a tailor again.

Alan

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars

Alan,

If you do find someone, please let us know. We are always on the lookout for quality craftsmanship.

Thanks for the story,
Pyr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925