Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Czech Republicans: Tonak, Huckel, no name

What do you think about this one? Unfortunately Tonak doesn't have wide range of goods. I would change rey ribbon for wider and black. How it will look?
http://tinyurl.com/6x6jxyc

I think they have more offerings but are probably special order. You might want to contact TONAK about this. They are also offering product here in the USA under the Salentino brand and to some degree the Hückel brand. I will be visiting TONAK in a couple of weeks so I should have some better information.

Interesting! It does look modern. 1980-90s?

By the way azhikers white Selintino (made by TONAK) looks nice from the photos. I wonder if the domestic TONAK are of a lower grade / price point? I will visit TONAK in a couple of weeks so l hope to get more information. By the way my avatar JHS Superior Crystall Velour (my most prized hat) was made in Nový Jičín (Neutitschein) back before WWII.

Last edited:
Thanks! Chain store "Prior" started in 70's so 80'-90's looks most probable. By the way, Tonak Nasavrky plant still produces hats and caps: http://www.aksana.cz/index.php?jazyk=en
Let me know if you find something interesting in Tonak.
Your hat on avatar looks quite similar to mine, doesn't it?

I wasn't aware on them. Thanks! Do you know anything about PolkaP? They are close by Nový Jičín in Poland but I am not sure if they are still in business. They were part of JHS up to the end of WWII. Actually looks like their website is back up and going.

http://www.polkap.pl/?lang=en

The hat in my avatar is from the 1930s so totally different level of construction ect. Also JHS (now TONAK) made the finest Velour finishes and Nový Jičín was the epi center of Austrian Velour finishes. I have a bunch of information if you want to check it out.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-huckel%c2%b4s-sohne-huckel-hutfabrik-weilheim/

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/8-peschel-hutfabrik/

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/7-bruder-bohm-hutfabrik/

Last edited:

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Another Tonak

Purplesage

One Too Many
Tonak "Alpha" Seal Velour Fedora

Just got this Tonak "Alpha" yesterday. It's sort of a rich Whiskey color with a cream or off-white ribbon with the bow in back. It's in great shape with the exception of the sweatband which is torn in a couple of places. The crown tip says it is made of Seal Velour so it is very soft and plush. I know that seal fur isn't as common as it once was since there are now international restrictions on hunting seal pups for the fur. Not sure of the age since this is the first Tomak I've owned but I'm guessing 40s or older. I'm sure there are some resident experts on the lounge who could give me an educated guess as the the age of the hat. 2 3/4" brim with raw edge and the open crown is approx 5 3/4 - 5 7/8. I think this is an unreeded leather sweatband although it almost appears to be reeded. There is a thin piece of cloth backing which runs around the circumference of the hat opening which the band is sewn to. The band has a taped back seam.

photo4-318_zps794bdb9b.jpg

photo4-322_zps29ad3699.jpg

photo4-319_zpsfd1796e1.jpg

photo5-485_zps837346ac.jpg

photo3-335_zps3106117b.jpg

photo1-480_zps0cfb41bd.jpg

photo5-491_zpse93bd689.jpg

photo5-493_zps5c27cf76.jpg

photo1-486_zpsc243f39a.jpg

photo5-492_zpsc098514b.jpg

Last edited:
Please see my comments in the German - Austrian thread. BTW there is no Seal fur content. "Seal Velour" is the finish which is has a wet Seal like appearance. Specific hare species (maybe some Nutria in the mix for durability) were used to make real (not what we see today) Velour. IMO (also widely acknowledged) JHS (became TONAK) made the finest Velour finishes.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I know that seal fur isn't as common as it once was since there are now international restrictions on hunting seal pups for the fur

That's a very unfortunate (read: "catastrofic") misunderstanding!

Most seals are not a threatened species. The killing of pups for their fur alone seemed too alian, repulsive and unethical to millions of people around the World. That's the reason for the ban. Unfortunately, the ban was completely misunderstood many places, and people stopped buying seal fur and items made from seal fur. This has caused enormous problems for the native Inuit people in Greenland.

Inuit hunters never hunted seal pups for any reason whatsoever. That has always been a non-Inuit Canadian/American phenomenon. In spite of this, that routine - and the ban of it - has resulted in the ruin of many small Inuit communities, dependened on the hunt for grown seals - eating their meat and selling their fur.

The problem was not, that seals were hunted for their fur. The problem was, that baby-seals - a few days old and with extremely poor mobility - were killed for their fur. Pictures and videos of hundreds of newborn seal pups being killed with clubs - defenselessly crawling on the ice - only added to the picture of unscrupulousness and greed.

It's time, this issue is understood and knowledge is spread. Inuit hunting culture and Inuit families are destroyed without any sane reason.

Czechoslovakian velour from Oviatt's Los Angeles

A fine quality velour felt hat, likely pre-WWII. The felt is very soft but fully moldable. Blocking is very straight with 5 3/4" open crown and 2 1/2" brim. 2" ribbon. Very beautiful sweatband is 2 1/4" wide. Liner is utilitarian cotton or linen suggesting that silk might have been unavailable from Europe at the time? $15 retail. More on Oviatt's here.

oviatts1.jpg

oviatts2.jpg

oviatts3.jpg

oviatts4.jpg

oviatts5.jpg

oviatts6.jpg

oviatts7.jpg

oviatts8.jpg

oviatts9.jpg

Very rare find! This is an Anton Peschel (A.P.). The company (they weren't Czech) was Austrian / German. This is from the old factory in Novy Jicin (was Neutitschein prior to WWI).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy