Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Czech Republicans: Tonak, Huckel, no name

Aha... thank you. The finish is quite similar to the brown Peschel that Garrett now has, but the materials and crease holding character are consistent with a much earlier hat.

Did Peschel make hats in Czechoslovakia?

Yes the original factory was in Novy Jicin (Neutitschein prior WWI). It was a very big factory that didn't survive WWII. The factory was used for something else and recently demolished. All hat factories were consolidated under TONAK (main factory JHS) post WWII. You are correct about the time period. I have only seen ones from the 20s and earlier.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/8-peschel-hutfabrik/

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is a Tonak disguise as Dunn.
1z2ne5t.jpg

It is clear on the label that the appeal of this hat is the Austrian Velour.
2qmf2hx.jpg

t6avpy.jpg

The deep brown velour has a variety of shades that is its peculiarity.
2njepdu.jpg

The felt is very soft and you can crease it in a second.
2j5y77.jpg

Very well finished it was made in the fifties (I presume) for Dunn English maker of hats.
Here the interior of the hat with all what I found even the real size English 7 (57 cm).
351zknm.jpg

29w2zo0.jpg

seaxc8.jpg

Raw brims are 2 inches and open crown 5 inches.
2iu6dtk.jpg

A wonderful example of Austrian hatters.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This is a Tonak disguise as Dunn.
1z2ne5t.jpg

It is clear on the label that the appeal of this hat is the Austrian Velour.
2qmf2hx.jpg

t6avpy.jpg

The deep brown velour has a variety of shades that is its peculiarity.
2njepdu.jpg

The felt is very soft and you can crease it in a second.
2j5y77.jpg

Very well finished it was made in the fifties (I presume) for Dunn English maker of hats.
Here the interior of the hat with all what I found even the real size English 7 (57 cm).
351zknm.jpg

29w2zo0.jpg

seaxc8.jpg

Raw brims are 2 inches and open crown 5 inches.
2iu6dtk.jpg

A wonderful example of Austrian hatters.

Nice color & band combo. Good crown height too.

A newer model Tonak "Colombo." Found this recently and it's pretty much new without tags.

x3qRntbm.jpg XRqFoJvm.jpg

OO5dyB8m.jpg lOlupo6m.jpg

This is my first Tonak; however, I own three Selentinos that I am very fond of that were also manufactured by Tonak.

Anybody know what ISCO is?

Daniele, Thank you for posting the additional photos! Too bad about the size because it's great. It's also an early one (probably late 1940s)just after JHS was nationalized as TONAK. Dunn & Co. also had a relationship with JHS prior to WWII. Ironic -> Austrian "Velour" made in Czechoslovakia! :)

Frunobulax, Yes you are correct about TONAK making the Selentino brand hats. ISCO seems familiar but I can't place it at this time. Besdor (Steven) might know about them. Where did you find it?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
ISCO stands for Israel Cohen who is the distributor for Tonak today in the USA. Today, most of th dress hats made by Tonak for the USA market carry the Selentino name .

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
Thought I would bump this thread....

Huckel - bought in early 90's at Bates the Hatters, London, so I assume that the 92 on the label is the date of manufacture.

Very nice felt, quite stiff after steaming and keeps its shape well, so I assume that there is a fair amount of shellac treatment present.

IMGA0948.jpg .

IMGA0949.jpg

IMGA0950.jpg

IMGA0951.jpg

IMGA0952.JPG

Chris

Thought I would bump this thread....

Huckel - bought in early 90's at Bates the Hatters, London, so I assume that the 92 on the label is the date of manufacture.

Very nice felt, quite stiff after steaming and keeps its shape well, so I assume that there is a fair amount of shellac treatment present.

Chris

Thanks for posting! As you know it was made by TONAK. Also machine blocked so stiffer. Very nice Antilope finish!

Great find! I am not sure if I have seen that quality designation. Most of what Tonak uses for quality designations goes back to J. Hückel´s Söhne. "Akron" eans highest point so could be Highest Luxury. I think it's later 1960s maybe later.

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
Thanks Steve. That date would perhaps tie in with the 65 marked under Controlled on the label? I'm not too sure that it is that great a high quality though
Chris

I am not sure about the numbers. It could even be into the 1970s or 1980s. The quality really took a hit over time (see communist influence, overall hat industry decline). Tonak made great hats (but not at the level of pre WWII JHS) until the mid to later 1950s (export models usually had higher quality components).

For example here is a Tonak made for the Soviet market. I am thinking this one is early 1960s.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/post-new-hats-here.28145/page-1426#post-2023312

The felt is very nice but the components (liner, sweatband) are not the same as early 1950s Tonak like this one.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...tonak-formely-hueckel-plant-hueckel/#entry739

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran