Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dance Classes-What to wear, what to bring?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Another tip for staying cool:

Eat something--it's as important as drinking water. Nothing heavy, just a protein and a carb, like some cottage cheese and a piece of fruit.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Hey Inky!

THese are some FANTASTIC answers!

Normally when I go to a calss or just the open floor.. I will wear jeans with a tank top tucked in.. and some sneakers.. I MUST be comfy to practice in!

I always pull my hair back cause its long as heck and gets in the way LOL!

Its true.. everyone is soo focused on dancing and the steps that you truly want to be comfortable cause u wanna learn the steps first~

Ohh it sounds like u are going to have a blast!

I am actually going to take my B/F to a class for the first time.. ekkkk... I can only imagine the blisters I will have from him stepping on my feet! LOL

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hey, this is a great thread with tons of useful info. Is there any way we can maybe change the thread title to make it easier to find in the future?

Inky

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Hey, this is a great thread with tons of useful info. Is there any way we can maybe change the thread title to make it easier to find in the future?

Or combine learning to dance and what to wear into one title/thread maybe -though i am such a novice I missed the learning to dance thread (i am getting better searching the Lounge though!).

you guys rock --- errr, swing that is!!

Inky

One Too Many
One dance class down = many to go!

Well we did it- east coast swing class was GREAT! Definitely a sweaty event - even with the cool night time coastal weather.

I wore cuffed jeans (capri length), a black 3/4 sleeve thin cotton scoop neck top and ended up getting the black nubuck Aris Allen rugcutters I'd been eyeballing for months. They are VERY comfy and will be good all-around dance shoes as I learn. I wore light make up and did my hair in what has become my every day sort of set, much like my avatar. It stayed off my face just fine.

We had a very good time and can't wait for the west coast class in two weeks - but plan to go practice today at one of the local sunday afternooon swing events at a tavern nearby.

thanks again to all of you for your indispensable help!!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
There is a ton of useful information at http://www.gottadance.org/TipsAdviceLib.shtml

I read this article. I'm not sure why they find t-shirts "extremely hot" and their wearers "just insane." I've never found woven shirts to be any cooler than t-shirts. Maybe they're wearing their t-shirts skin-tight.

Avoiding silk and layering is kind of a no-brainer. Layering is what we do here to keep warm in the winter. Silk doesn't breathe--isn't that why they used to make parachutes out of it?

A friend of mine bought five shirts that are supposed to "wick away moisture" and keep you cool, but he found them very hot. I think "wick away moisture" is marketing speak for "absorbs sweat and the smell that goes with it." I have some exercise clothes in that sweat absorbing material, and yes, it's hot and it stinks after a 20-minute workout. I put on a cotton t-shirt instead.

I think something that flutters and flows, like a swingy skirt or full-cut pants, are really flattering.

Inky

One Too Many
Paisley, you have great information.

I wore jeans (yes, hot) but I'd rather wear skirts and make some dresses, however, I would be self-conscious to have my "not at all firm" (polite for flabby) thighs flapping around. What would be good to wear under the skirts?

Thanks so much!!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I wear petty pants. I see other gals wearing other things under their skirts, but I've never asked what they were. Bicycle shorts, maybe?

Inky

One Too Many
Paisley said:
I wear petty pants. I see other gals wearing other things under their skirts, but I've never asked what they were. Bicycle shorts, maybe?

Are petty pants like this kind of thing?

9195.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Yes, but mine are somewhat shorter. For me, they're pretty much to avoid showing my panties.

So more like a tap pant then?

9193.jpg

Do you mind me asking where you buy them? I like the idea of them being looser than a bicycle short or mid-thigh tights that would bind at my thighs (ick).

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
Yes, but mine are somewhat shorter. For me, they're pretty much to avoid showing my panties.

Tap pants?

Ha! She beat me too it.

Daisy Buchanan has recommended getting silky pajama short bottoms to use as tap pants.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Inky said:
I like the idea of them being looser than a bicycle short or mid-thigh tights that would bind at my thighs (ick).

You mean you don't want to just roll them down below your knee? Or encase your legs in silk or nylon?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I wish I could find pettipants or tap pants in cotton. Those nylon ones get too hot for me when I'm dancing. The same goes for slips. whtever happened to breathable cotton?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters