Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dance Classes-What to wear, what to bring?

Inky

One Too Many
I searched and couldn't find a specific answer to my question and since it's a "girlie" question, I shall ask here in the Powder Room. If it's wrong, please move it as needed :)

My hubby and I are taking our first ever swing dance lessons this Saturday evening then a "open dance" session for two hours (if we make it that long) afterwards. I want to be comfy and the instructor said to dress casual and nothing special was needed. I do have suede-soled shoes, but hubby doesn't (yet).

Any tips from you veteran swing dancers for us green newbies starting out on what to wear/shoes/etc?

The Shirt

Practically Family
Not a veteran at all - but a few months ago I took my first classes as well. I got HOT HOT HOT practicing turn after turn after turn. I suppose I would recommend a top that is not constricting at all and relatively light weight (won't show sweat). I also found that I got into it a bit more when I wore a skirt and slight heels. I wore rolled up jeans the first night and they just didn't feel right - but I'm a skirt girl. I kept my hair pulled up to and that definitely helped me feel cooler.

Have a great time - it's so fun.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I am a newbie too when it comes to swing and just a crap dancer normally and what helped me was that I wore a skirt that I could see my feet in, so no big circle skirts with crinolines for me :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
There is a ton of useful information at http://www.gottadance.org/TipsAdviceLib.shtml, including advice on what to wear to keep cool. One thing you want to be sure of is that your clothes don't restrict you lifting your arms over your head. I have a lot of vintage stuff I'd love to wear dancing, but I find the sleeves are all very restrictive.

As for hubby's shoes, I wouldn't worry about it. I've worn my rubber-soled saddle shoes dancing twice now and haven't had any problems. There are temporary solutions though if he wants the soles of his shoes to be more slippery.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
You can get your local shoemaker/repair man to put suede soles on any pair of shoes.. Wear comfortable shoes and don't worry about what they look like.
And yes you will sweat... Dont' wear anything that doesnt' wick up moisture.
No silk or satin, preferably.. I usually wear a skirt and tank top for dance classes but a nice dress is ok too... We take ballroom so don't always do just swing at our classes but belive you me we sweat alot doing other latin dances.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I remember at the swing class I took, even more experienced dancers (male) just wore sneakers like Converse or something, so any shoes he is comfortable would be good I think.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Stay comfy. I went dancing last night with the hubby. I wore a sundress and wedges. I felt cute and comfy! I pulled all my hair into an upsweep. It stayed really well and it was nice to have it all totally off my neck.

As for the non-sueded shoes, one of my girlfriends puts duck tape on the soles of her shoes. We were dancing on concrete last night and she was still able to slide nicely.

Honey Doll

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hair pinned or tied back, but don't put it on top of your head, as all the guys will be whacking you on the top of the head with their forearms while learning to spin you.

I have discovered that Spanish combs and swing dancing are highly incompatible!

Definitely not rubber-soled shoes, but any smooth leather will work . And if hubby doesn't own a single pair of non-rubber shoes, and time is of the essence, cover the soles with masking tape. Masking tape is also great for shoes that are too slippery, it is the perfect dancing surface.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Kassia said:
You can get your local shoemaker/repair man to put suede soles on any pair of shoes..

Yes, but there are a lot of cheaper, more temporary options if you want to wear shoes dancing that you also want to be able to wear outdoors for everyday use. A lot of them are discussed at the link I posted, and some of them are also discussed in a thread I started in the General Attire forum.

One easy, inexpensive recommendation I've received is to use self-adhesive, stiffened felt from the craft store, which will set you back around $2.

Gaffing tape, duct tape, masking tape, felt, sticky name tags... there are a ton of temporary solutions that can be used.

As I said, rubber soled shoes haven't been an issue for me at all, and are unlikely to cause problems for novice dancers.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I felt like a clod wearing tennis shoes to be honest. I couldn't get around on my spins or the timing quite right the night I wore them. Switched shoes and it was like magic. Or at least I was hallucinating from all the spinning that I was a tremendous dancer during lesson number 2. heehee.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The Shirt said:
I felt like a clod wearing tennis shoes to be honest. I couldn't get around on my spins or the timing quite right the night I wore them. Switched shoes and it was like magic.

And of course, every floor is different too! Some are much stickier than others.

Here's what I would recommend - instead of carrying a roll of duct or masking tape with you in case you need it, go to the craft store, buy 2 sheets of self-adhesive stiffened felt in the color of your choice, then put each shoe on top of a sheet and trace the shoe outline onto the back of the felt and cut it out, then trim it down to be a tad smaller. It doesn't have to be the whole sole of the shoe either, the ball of the foot going about half way to the heel should work. Tuck them in your pocket or purse and if hubby needs them, all he has to do is slap them on his shoes once he's there. They'll easily peel off at the end of the night and shouldn't leave any sticky residue.

Inky

One Too Many
I knew you guys would come through for me! What a treasure trove of info - thanks so much everybody. I was planning on wearing my red remix wedgies and cuffed jeans and a loose blouse - the hair will be harder as it's too short to do an updo, but maybe just a simple set and a small roll up front sort of like my avatar. nothing to extravagant, lol, i can see bobby pins flying out while I THINK I am dancing.

I'll let y'all know how it goes, it just sounds like so much fun and I hope we enjoy it - it's East Coast swing and the West Coast class is 2 weeks later. If we don't suck too much then we'll take more classes, hahaha.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Have fun inky! I am having the same dilemmas - just had my 4th lesson yesterday. I've quickly realised that I need to get some repro/VI dresses that I don't mind getting sweaty in, and can wash hot, as I think I'll ruin my vintage quickly at this rate! (Sorry, TMI) A few dresses are out anyway as they either wrap at the back, and I'm not keen on flashing my pants, or the sleeves are too restrictive. Last night I wore my Queen of Heartz jeans which are thin, and a gingham gypsy top, and was still boiling...but I think that is pretty much a given!

Inky

One Too Many
Thanks Fleur!! I am counting on it being sweaty (or as my Nana said "glowing" because ladies don't "sweat" haha!)

I can't wait, this has been one of my top goals for a long time. I should have prefaced my intro with a short story - 15 months ago I weighed 134 pounds more than I do now and dancing was only a memory. So being able to actually get out and walk, let alone dance is an AMAZING life change.

I am so excited my feet are tapping right now :D

The Shirt

Practically Family
I can't wait, this has been one of my top goals for a long time. I should have prefaced my intro with a short story - 15 months ago I weighed 134 pounds more than I do now and dancing was only a memory. So being able to actually get out and walk, let alone dance is an AMAZING life change.

Oh Inky - That's just amazing and fabulous. I love hearing things like this. Good for you and all your hard work. Enjoy the dancing - I think you will love it.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Inky! Welcome to the Lounge! And a big ::wave:: for all your weight loss efforts! WOW!

There has been some really great advice in the posts above me, and I can't add much. But I'll try, so here goes:

I've danced for about 10 years and can guarantee you this: you will spend so much time concentrating on your dance steps that you won't be looking around much, so dress comfortably!

You both should dance in cotton items, so you can sweat and wash the clothing at the end of the evening. No perfume please! And I've never seen anyone use the adhesive felt, but that's an interesting idea. If you are going to be on a formal dance floor (vs a gymnasium) than it's good etiquette for your husband and you to NOT wear black sole shoes, as the scuffs are very hard to remove from the floor. On the gym floor? Don't worry about what shoes you wear.

I've seen tennis shoes a number of times. They really aren't the best things to wear, because your feet will get hot and drag. Therefore, the felt idea is looking more attractive all the time.

Pin your hair away from your face as Miss 1929 said, because you will want to see your instructor and your feet and allow your gentleman to twirl you. And KittyT provided a great web link.

Bring a folding fan and a handkerchief, if you have one, and leave your purse in the car. Take a small makeup kit if desired and a couple dollars indoors with you. Buy water or bring your own. If you are at a dance club taking lessons, its customary to buy a drink or two each time, to show support of the club. My husband and I always bought water.

If possible, take turns with other students, so you both can learn what other dancers feel like. And have LOTS of fun! That's the best part of all.

Enjoy and take pics for us!

Vintage Betty

Inky

One Too Many
Helysoune: thank you so much!

Vintage Betty: Wow, that's another treasure trove of info! I hadn't even thought of dark soled shoes - the class is at a dance school, so I will be careful with shoe choices. I have a pair of red remix wedgies that are clean and have light colored soles. I think those shoes, a thin cotton shirt and my cuffed jeans will have to do (heavy but i really don't want to wear a skirt - unless there is a secret about what to wear underneath so i don't flash anyone anything they really don't want to see - like flabby thighs that are suffering the big weight loss!)

I am worried about my hair, it's really too short to do much more than what is in my avatar (a typical set with hot rollers and curly all around). But when it is that curly it does at least stay out of my face!

Thanks so much for all the info, everyone! I am so excited you wouldn't believe it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters