Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dance Videos, Online or Youtube lessons-

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
I don't know if anyone has posted something similar to this, but I really have not come across it. I'm always in search for video tutorials or lessons on popular 1940s-1950s dances. I've found many variations but never a clear video lesson on the basic 1950s stroll or Jive. I guess what I want to do is set up a specific area in FL for dance videos. (So please dancers if you can make some videos for us in areas that lack good dance schools.) Also if you have come across any post them!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Check out the Golden Era thread too, the Powder Room should be for girl-specific stuff only.

I have found that you gat a lot of stuff in a YouTube search that isn't too useful, when searching for dances. The ones on YouTube are usually ballroom dancers showing off their moves (and usually their incredibly tacky outfits!).

You might want to search Amazon for learn-to-dance videos instead.

Are there no dance studios near you? That kind of partner dancing can be picked up in a lesson or two!

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
Pardon my stepping into the powder room, but I know just such a video.

It's called WORK THAT SKIRT IN STREET SWING [ Learn How to Swing Dance ]

If was filmed at Bimbos 365 club in San Francisco in the late 90's by people who were active
in the swing and vintage scene. It's, in my opinion, one of the better instructional videos.
The only drawbacks are that it is out of print and only on VHS.
There are however three copies on amazon as I write this.

swing.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Stroll is a swing dance now......:rolleyes:

The Stroll: The Stroll was a popular line dance in the 1950s. It was first performed to "C. C. Rider" by Chuck Willis on American Bandstand. Link Wray's "Rumble" and "The Stroll" by The Diamonds were also popular tunes for doing the Stroll. All these songs are slow 12-bar blues. "The Stroll" by the Diamonds, written by Brook Benton, reached number four on the Billboard pop charts, number five on the R&B charts, [1] and number one on the Cashbox charts.

In the dance, two lines of dancers, men on one side and women on the other, face each other, moving in place to the music. Each paired couple then steps out and does a more elabarate dance up and down between the rows of dancers.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Some of my teachers have produced instructional DVDs:

Dan & Tiff:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tiffiny+wine

Joe & Nell:
http://www.joeandnelle.com/instructional_dvd.html

Frankie Manning put out some instructional videotapes that you might find used:
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1265656713/ref=sr_nr_i_0?ie=UTF8&rs=&keywords=frankie%20manning&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afrankie%20manning%2Ci%3Avhs

I don't know of anybody other than ballroom dancers who do the jive on this side of the Atlantic.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Jezebel_Amazon said:
(So please dancers if you can make some videos for us in areas that lack good dance schools.) Also if you have come across any post them!

Have you checked out lessons at dance clubs? I've found them to be way better, and a heck of lot cheaper, than studios. Besides, you'll need to practice, and if you take the lesson at the club, you're right there.

Check out my thread on learning to dance:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=17588

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Stroll is a swing dance now......:rolleyes:

In the dance, two lines of dancers, men on one side and women on the other, face each other, moving in place to the music. Each paired couple then steps out and does a more elabarate dance up and down between the rows of dancers.

Isn't that the minuet? ;)

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
Have you checked out lessons at dance clubs? I've found them to be way better, and a heck of lot cheaper, than studios. Besides, you'll need to practice, and if you take the lesson at the club, you're right there.

Check out my thread on learning to dance:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=17588

Saldly we have only one swing club that I know of called Swing Affair...and they just so happen to be on days I have school.. I have school till 8pm and their lessons start at 6.. :(

Either way I'd prefer something private untill I feel like I can go out in a group.. I'm terribly shy..

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
skillbilly said:
Pardon my stepping into the powder room, but I know just such a video.

It's called WORK THAT SKIRT IN STREET SWING [ Learn How to Swing Dance ]

If was filmed at Bimbos 365 club in San Francisco in the late 90's by people who were active
in the swing and vintage scene. It's, in my opinion, one of the better instructional videos.
The only drawbacks are that it is out of print and only on VHS.
There are however three copies on amazon as I write this.

swing.jpg

I just googled the name and they've posted it on youtube (all they had where VHS on amazon)

Heres the links:

Part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz6ZPi-ko7c

Part two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekfyzPMQ6k

Thanks Skillbilly.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
One nice thing about the videos I posted is that all of those teachers will show you the right way. Nothing against Work that Skirt, I'm just not familiar with it.

If you have a partner, you could start with jitterbug or wedding dances by Dan & Tiff. (The wedding dances should show basic leading and following, which you'll need in any partner dance.) If not, start with solo dances like the shim-sham or big apple. (Nothing against the stroll, I just don't think it's done that much in the swing world.) Even ballet lessons or jazz movement dances, which are offered in many communities, will teach you how to move well.

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
One nice thing about the videos I posted is that all of those teachers will show you the right way. Nothing against Work that Skirt, I'm just not familiar with it.

If you have a partner, you could start with jitterbug or wedding dances by Dan & Tiff. (The wedding dances should show basic leading and following, which you'll need in any partner dance.) If not, start with solo dances like the shim-sham or big apple. (Nothing against the stroll, I just don't think it's done that much in the swing world.) Even ballet lessons or jazz movement dances, which are offered in many communities, will teach you how to move well.

Thanks! I'll check them out! .. I guess I'll have to wait to buy these dvds though, money is tight because I have two trips coming up. Has anyone come across free videos that i can watch in the meantime? Or even a dance step chart?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner