Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Outerwear by zipper design

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
How much time is involved doing by hand? I do have a sewing machine that can do it. I'm going to learn how to replace zippers this winter!!! I have several jackets that I can practice replacing zippers. I'm going to do it!! I need to do something more creative than just buying and selling jackets.

You do not need a machine. It takes me about 1 hour to do a zipper. There are various steps I follow before I start working on a zipper. As a beginner I would think it could take up to two hours. It all depends on how patient you are. All you require to learn how to properly stitch leather is on YouTube.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This is a California Sportswear Police jacket with the 50s label. I was surprised to see the original zipper is the "big" Talon. I had not encountered a Californian with this zippers. I knew the jacket was purchased by a Korean War Vet who was a police officer in Florida. Though I got no dates.

It is near mint condition so I have no doubt the zipper is original

Note Talon markings on the pull and the stop and arched cut out.

upload_2021-11-15_17-34-14.jpeg

upload_2021-11-15_17-34-57.jpeg

I researched this 50s Hercules with braided trim after seeing it with a "big" Talon zipper. I had not noticed such a zipper on a 50s era Hercules. This style of jacket goes back to 1955 and is most often found in Steerhide. I followed the jacket though until 1958 and the jacket description says "Giant" zipper! This is the first mention of a "giant" zipper. I assume they were new. I have found this giant zipper on another braided trim Hercules. Altough difficult to see in pics, the stop has Talon down the middle.

upload_2021-11-15_17-40-37.jpeg

upload_2021-11-15_17-41-59.jpeg

This is a beautiful Kurland-Star Sportswear jacket that has all the quality of of 50s jacket. It has the Big Conmar zipper. Another good example of Conmar imitating Talon, note different cut out. Conmar down the middle of the stop.

These Big zippers did go through changes and I will have to follow up on that.

I'm now defining these zippers as beginning c.1958

upload_2021-11-15_17-44-25.jpeg

upload_2021-11-15_17-44-55.jpeg
upload_2021-11-15_17-44-55.jpeg

upload_2021-11-15_17-45-39.jpeg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
This is a California Sportswear Police jacket with the 50s label. I was surprised to see the original zipper is the "big" Talon. I had not encountered a Californian with this zippers. I knew the jacket was purchased by a Korean War Vet who was a police officer in Florida. Though I got no dates.

It is near mint condition so I have no doubt the zipper is original

Note Talon markings on the pull and the stop and arched cut out.

View attachment 379189

View attachment 379190

I researched this 50s Hercules with braided trim after seeing it with a "big" Talon zipper. I had not noticed such a zipper on a 50s era Hercules. This style of jacket goes back to 1955 and is most often found in Steerhide. I followed the jacket though until 1958 and the jacket description says "Giant" zipper! This is the first mention of a "giant" zipper. I assume they were new. I have found this giant zipper on another braided trim Hercules. Altough difficult to see in pics, the stop has Talon down the middle.

View attachment 379191

View attachment 379193

This is a beautiful Kurland-Star Sportswear jacket that has all the quality of of 50s jacket. It has the Big Conmar zipper. Another good example of Conmar imitating Talon, note different cut out. Conmar down the middle of the stop.

These Big zippers did go through changes and I will have to follow up on that.

I'm now defining these zippers as beginning c.1958

View attachment 379194

View attachment 379195 View attachment 379196

View attachment 379197

Those square box talons are so strong Terry! Here are some of my stronger number #10 zips. Talon made so many in this size but not all top quality. Not showing are the REAL big mothers that come out some day out of their caves. LOL I will be posting more images of jacket with the zips.
IMG_4904.jpg

Last edited:

Fyve_by_Fyve

New in Town
Here's a Serval zipper that I have on an old cafe racer jacket. I'm guessing this would be 1940's . . . ish?

Attachments

• Photo Feb 12, 2 48 06 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 12, 2 48 06 PM.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
  • Photo Feb 12, 2 49 19 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 12, 2 49 19 PM.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 86

Behemott

New in Town
Hello,

This is an interesting thread for someone like me that appreciates jacket and its hardware.

Here are two 30's (guesstimate) zippers that probably came from side pockets or carry bag...? They are like 6 inches in length and closed ended. I also find it peculiar that they were probably glued to the garment, no apparent sewing hole. I bought them from ebay a couple of years ago. I am planning on using a slider on a jacket one day...

Talon_Kompress.jpg

D

has anyone seen these chest zips before?
6C11D569-58E0-4441-A489-BCA0B0D64D2E.jpeg

I believe the jacket is a Brooks…it has the correct liner material in the pockets (black poly)…BUT… it has these chest pulls, and Serval sleeve zips. The main zipper is a Talon. The collar snaps don’t say Brooks, but are made by RAU.
3D9925F8-6CCB-4AA2-821A-3C4A9C572AD1.jpeg

Any thoughts?

semolina_pilchard

One of the Regulars
Could anybody please help with dating this Lightning Fasteners (Canada) zipper?

It has a 1927 patent date on the back side. I found that LF was in a few court cases over patents but don't know anything about the zipper pull used over time and when zippers had 1927 on the back, and LF on the stop box.

Lzip1.png

Lzip2.png

Lzip3.png

Leigh H

Practically Family
Could anybody please help with dating this Lightning Fasteners (Canada) zipper?

It has a 1927 patent date on the back side. I found that LF was in a few court cases over patents but don't know anything about the zipper pull used over time and when zippers had 1927 on the back, and LF on the stop box.

View attachment 565647

View attachment 565648

View attachment 565649

i believe its 40s
https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/dating-a-suede-jacket-with-lightning-zipper.70224/

and here
https://www.poppysvintageclothing.c...ski-jacket-hobby-togs-by-phimac-canada-size-m

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy