Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner: A Field Guide

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Oh yeah...I guess the dimensions of the hat might help if anyone were toi guess at the model.

It has a 4 inch brim, 5 1/2 inches at the high point of the crown and the center dent is 2 inches deep.
As far as the color goes, last night I began sanding it to try to minimize some caterpillar tracks on the surface, and noticed the felt was losing the mustard-y yellow tinge and closer to a baby deer-like color underneath. And, judging by the amount of wheezing and hacking I was doing while sanding I'm guessing that the fur blend is mostly cat. :) Seriously though, it feels at least as nice as either of my 3X beaver Resistols so I'm hoping it is at least part beaver.

Well, back to sanding...ack! wheeze!

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
The hat looks a lot like one that I have, but mine had all of the lettering inside. The sweat band looks original rather than a replacement to me. I would suggest that you re-examine the sweat band more closely for vestiges of lettering which may be mostly worn away. A closer view of the size tag might also help with date.

Fed

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey Fed

I looked at the sweatband with a powerful magnifier and there is nothing on it other than a handwritten 3 with an 8 below it on the back side of the sweat. I'm guessing that refers to the size 7 3/8? Other than that, it is plain brown leather with gold stripe. Looks a lot like the ones pictures on the Hats By Leko hat making supply site.

Here's the size tag:
Front
20150105_174025-vi.jpg

Back
20150105_173933-vi.jpg

I found another site with various dating methods for Stetsons and it appears that this liner art is called "The Last Drop" and in it's screen printed color form dates from late 70's to early 90's. Maybe that union tag can provide more info.

Thanks again everyone

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
IMG_4963.JPG
Yes, that is the last drop.

Mine is 5X Beaver of Canadian make.

As to the sweat band, here is my old Stetson's band:

IMG_4961.JPG

I am watching the gold lettering disappear from the sweat as I wear the hat.

Fed

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
waking up an old thread to ask a question ...

anyone ever seen a size tag like this in a vintage Stetson?

I have not

the only ones I have seen are the red/orange ones and the older white with black font

and they almost always say John B Stetson Company Philadelphia USA

this looks shady to me.... and looks to be what I've seen described as a Biskup hats tag

anyone ?

siz_tag.jpg

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!

I found this Open Road at the flea market today, was wondering if anyone could help narrow down the age. Unfortunatly, no stickers on the inside with reorder numbers or anything convenient like that.
5bef28f9eea519cc5c28f18b8cbcfdae.jpg
d284a93287d4f424b306d71e15844f34.jpg
cae89b2759855feec7b01500827b7133.jpg
e3914cdbb50c5b5e6750d8feefb956e0.jpg
617cfe4ff2fbd58de8e7f11664abcb0f.jpg
93de709eefb0beeb9b604f833bfe40cf.jpg

Last image is some translucent material under the sweat with some scrawling on it...can't make it out. Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, gtdean. Looks like 60's-70's style tag. TY as well, Slacker Drummer, a different perspective is always a help. Anyone know when Stetson stopped using the sweat barrier behind the sweatband? Also, there is a union label on back of size tag if that can be a factor in determining decade. TY again.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Well, once I knew that I wasn't about to use a Golden Age relic as a ten dollar hat body to play with, a more exact date really isn't all that important. As is seems to be late 60's to early 70's, I just thought it would be neat if there was an easy way to see if it was made in '68 like me.☺Kinda like my peacoat, which I found was a '66 by the one-year-only tag used on thar model. Doesn't look like it's that easy for an OR.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
b65dc0edf82f4a703fb482b4889b02ee.jpg
660eb4b001929306cfd4fc8d655fa00d.jpg
My second stetson not including my late 40s mallorys. Hehe. This one is 3x beaver felt. My lightest one too. What would be the way to clean this darling? And I think it early to mid 50s.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran