Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner: A Field Guide

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
sure I can do that...just don't think that it will be full of hat knowledge, but there is some. There will be lots of birth and death notes as well as bowling team results and the like. I have two years worth, all in the twenties.

barrowjh

One Too Many
MoK, I think you are right about the mid-1950s, would be my guess. Clear plastic liner says its no older than 1953, but eveything else is pointing to the 1950s. Love the oilskin (oilsilk?) moisture barrier behind the sweatband, that and the rich colors in the liner, the size tag all mark it as prior to 1960, I think.

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1900s Stetson Expos

00923.jpg

01023.jpg

00924.jpg

01222.jpg

1915s-1920s Stetson Expos

02118.jpg

09010.jpg

02613.jpg

03613.jpg

hammed

New in Town
Still didn't quite find what i was looking for yet.. but thank you all for such an informative thread. Being new, this is helping to learn a lot fast!!!

Garydhop

New in Town
hello: this is my first post. I have been given a Stetson. I have no idea the date. It is called Stetson Heritage. I tried to load pictures but I don't know how to post a URL. It has on the inside rim three letters punched out--JFK. Does anyone have any info on the date and the initials? thank you

Welcome Garydhop and thanks for bumping this interesting thread. I believe the Heritage is a modern Stetson model name but I'm not sure. The inside letters represent an owner's monogram, unlikely the former president. To post photos linked to a URL, follow the instructions on this thread... or use the "insert image" icon in the rich text editor, select "from URL" and deselect the checkbox before hitting OK. That should work.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
OK guys, I've quickly scanned through this thread and not seen this particular liner yet. Anyone able to date this OR? American hats are not my greatest area of expertise, but my feeling is 1970s or 80s...possibly later but not earlier?
3.JPG 4.JPG 6.JPG 1.JPG

fedoracentric

Banned
My thoughts, your Royal JBS liner hat is 60s or very early 70s (but most likely early 60s). After that they began to put the metric size on the tag along with the US size.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
thanks for the input! If you're right that's great - I thought it would be later than that. I'm sure I read earlier in the thread that they started adding the metric size in the 90s? But certainly in the UK it's common to find metric on clothing from the 1970s onwards.

fedoracentric

Banned
I'm sure I read earlier in the thread that they started adding the metric size in the 90s? But certainly in the UK it's common to find metric on clothing from the 1970s onwards.

I hope someone clears this up, then, because I thought it was established that Stetson began to add the metric size after the company was sold in 1974.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80