Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dauntless retrieved from Lake Michigan

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
link: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2009118806_apwwiibombersalvage.html

WWII-era dive-bomber lifted from Lake Michigan

A dive bomber that had ditched in Lake Michigan on a training run in 1944 was brought to land Friday for restoration in Florida for the National World War II Museum in New Orleans. The Douglas SBD Dauntless lifted from the water Friday to a pier in Waukegan, Ill., is among 130 to 300 or more planes estimated to have sunk in the lake during training late in World War II.

By JANET McCONNAUGHEY

Associated Press Writer
NEW ORLEANS —

A dive bomber that had ditched in Lake Michigan on a training run in 1944 was brought to land Friday for restoration in Florida for the National World War II Museum in New Orleans. The Douglas SBD Dauntless lifted from the water Friday to a pier in Waukegan, Ill., is among 130 to 300 or more planes estimated to have sunk in the lake during training late in World War II.

"Corsairs, Avengers, Dauntless - any number of World War II aircraft are in the water," said Capt. Ed Ellis, secretary of the foundation that supports the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Fla., where the newly recovered plane will be restored.

Ellis puts the total aircraft sunk in Lake Michigan at more than 300. Taras Lyssenko, co-owner of A&T Recovery, created to recover those planes, thinks the number is closer to 130. Whatever the figure, they are spread over some 2,500 square miles of lake bottom.

The Dauntless is the 35th airplane plucked from the waters since the National Naval Aviation Museum began a recovery and restoration program in 1990, Ellis said.

Even the wooden antenna mast was intact, and the rest of the plane was in good shape despite decades in the water, Lyssenko said.

"It was covered with mussels, so it looks like a coral reef," he said. "But we knocked most of them off."

Lyssenko said the plane was found in the mid 1990s in more than 300 feet of water, more than 20 miles offshore. He said it took years to obtain Navy permission and secure state and federal permits to mount a recovery.

Because the plane was so deep, submarine robots were called in to survey the area - and, in recent weeks, to set up ropes used to lift the plane to the surface for towing.

He described the salvage as far more delicate than recovering a ship.

"Ships have all kinds of things you can put chains on. You can't put a chain on this," he said. And it must be lifted very gently. Otherwise, mud-filled wings might get ripped off.

It's likely to be another 18 months to three years before that plane or another Dauntless restored by the aviation museum is ready for the World War II Museum, spokeswoman Clem Goldberger said.

An SBD that fought at the Battle of Guadalcanal has been on display at the New Orleans museum since August. It's on loan from the Pensacola museum until the New Orleans museum's own plane is ready.

"Finding World War II aircraft that actually have a combat record is a rarity," Ellis said. "We have a number here. The one that we loaned the World War II Museum has a combat record, so we wanted it back. We said, `We'll loan this one to you and we'll recover and restore another one which we'll then swap out when the restoration is finished.'"

An anonymous donor paid for the work.

"It costs about a quarter-million dollars to pull one off the bottom," Ellis said.

He said the Naval Aviation Museum has 102 aircraft displayed indoors, about 60 outdoors - generally awaiting or in restoration - and more than 800 lent to about 600 museums, schools and other institutions nationwide.

The one recovered Friday ran out of fuel Nov. 24, 1944, en route back to its carrier, said Hill Goodspeed, historian and artifact collections manager at the aviation museum.

"The pilot survived. We do not recover aircraft if there was a fatality. They're considered gravesites," Ellis said.

He said many planes training in that era had flown from a pair of old paddlewheel steamers decked out as practice aircraft carriers.

Ellis said more than 17,000 pilots trained from the paddlewheelers out of the Naval Air Station in Glenview, Ill. Each needed to make about eight takeoffs and landings on the USS Wolverine or USS Sable to qualify for carrier duty.

The ships were built as multideck paddlewheel cargo and excursion boats. Ellis said authorities "cut the top decks off and put 600-foot decks on them" to allow training.

The hundreds of accidents included fewer than a dozen deaths, mostly pilots who got out safely but died of hypothermia in frigid winter waters, Ellis said.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's great. Of all the planes that flew in the Pacific Theater, I think the Dauntless deserves to be remembered most. It was the Dauntless that struck the first lethal blows at the battle of Midway. This obsolescent aircraft kept soldiering on through the war while its problem plagued successor went through modification after modification.
When I visited the Intrepid in New York several years ago, I was disappointed not to see a Dauntless there.
The icy waters of the Great Lakes have many many secrets to surrender to us, and will for a long time to come.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Paddlewheel Aircraft Carriers

When I flew air shows in the 80-90s I always liked when I would meet a WWII Naval Aviator who flew off either the USS Wolverine or USS Sable. You always new if they really did, because they would all make the same gesture, arms tucked close to their sides, bent at the elbow close to 90 degrees, index fingers pointing away from their body and twirling in unison, while their heads bobbed up and down! That is how they would describe their first encounter with one of the only two side paddlewheel aircraft carriers! Safe to say, there will never be another!
USSSable.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Here is a link to an article of the construction of a 1/72 scale model of the USS Wolverine. It is well worth the reed. It was not a matter of simply lopping off the top part of the excursion boats, then laying a flight deck down, there are literally miles of catwalks and I-beams. The two ships had everything that the full size ships had, except for armament, catapults and elevators. They were designed to teach not just pilots, but future crews how to handle every aspect of carrier operations! Also, they were the only coal fired ships left in the navy. To put it in perspective, Winston Churchill, referred to WWII as the Wizard War, because of all the high tech gadgets to come out of the war, yet here were two side paddlewheel coal fired aircraft carriers! http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=47&v=2&sp=590341490288520639594#

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot