Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dave Brown

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett who owns vintagesilhouettes and provides hats and costumes for movies, told me that he saw some of Browns hats and wasn't impressed. However he did say that he thought Optimos were great and that he thought Graham had one of the best hat shops that he had seen.

fedoralover

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Be wary

Anyone can say they "produce hats for the movies".....and we know the claims made by several people listing their "films".

I would only judge a hat by the reputation of the hatter, and from word of mouth from trusted customers, and finally, from the finished product.

Some who are "glad" to sell you a hat(ter) never show, only claim. Others have rave reviews, and you can see their work (Buick's Harley Earle, Road to Predition).

I held the felt hat worn by Jeff Bridges in SEABISCUT and the STRAW. The Felt is a vintage less than perfect. I would have been disappointed if I won it on Ebay. But on FILM it LOOKS GREAT. The straw's are not high quality, but you can't tell on camera. I bought two of them from Art.

Anyway, I called Dave Brown and sent him photos of one of my hats to replicate. We never finalized a deal , but he seemed very polite and helpful.

I just thought his web site shows hats with too low a crown...and I feel that they wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Anyone out there actually bought one?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Art told me that gray fedora Bridges wore in Seabiscuit was a Penny's Marathon. I've seen those before and you are right, nothing to be impressed about in an upclose inspection. Amazing how good it looked on him in the movie though.

fedoralover

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
The hats the extras wore in "Seabiscuit" were made of flocked plastic, and even THEY looked good on film. I've not contacted Dave Brown or ordered anything, but his prices seem out of sync with his photos, in which the hats appear a bit mottled (maybe it's just my monitor). As for those claiming to have mad hats for films, I find it fascinating that more people seem to have made the fedoras for "Raiders of the Lost Ark" than taught John Travolta to dance for "Saturday Night Fever" (a popular claim in Hollywood some 20 years ago -- everyone with two legs "taught John Travolta to dance").

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
No, I wasn't on the set, but Baron California Hats in Burbank, which also does film and TV work, had stacks of them in the shop this summer. The proprietor said some 20,000 of them were supplied for the film -- sounds like an awful lot, particularly in the era of synthetic or digital extras, but that was the figure he quoted. Up close they looked like something you'd buy for your kid in Target at Halloween, but from only about twenty feet away they were completely convincing.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Me again. I just realized that the last film set I worked on as an actor (of sorts) was "Staying Alive," where I watched John Travolta attempt to dance, but mostly trip over his feet. So whoever REALLY taught him should have been ashamed.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
ya here this Matt? are you ashamed?
Thanks for the info Michael, she told me she had as many as 30,000 in some shots and was looking for all the hats she could find. I though she might hav egone to China for the crowd scenes, better that an American co got the business

Sam Spade

New in Town
Happy Holidays everyone. I just thought I would relate my Dave Brown "experience" to everyone. A few months ago I sent him an email with a description and some pictures of a hat that I wanted him to duplicate. After a coupe weeks with no response, I called him and managed to speak to him about the hat. He said that he could easily do it, but that he was currently running about 4-5 weeks behind. He would call me when he was ready and would require a credit card to start the hat. He was very nice and talked about how once people order one of his hats, they usually end up buying a couple more. I waited the 4-5 weeks, meanwhile sending him some more pictures and descriptions of exactly what I wanted. After about six weeks passed, and still no response, I called his shop but he was unavailable. I left a message and still have not heard back. Guess who's not interested in having Dave Brown make a hat for him?!?!?!? I don't care how busy you are, or what movie stars you make hats for, don't jerk my chain. If you're going to charge $300.00 for a beaver blend hat and talk me up about it and how great you are, don't blow me off. From what I have heard of his products since then, they are not that great. I'll stick with Joe Peters Jr. and our other vendors! Best regards.

Fedora

Vendor
Interesting indeed. Seriously, if I am in the market for a new hat, it will be from Optimo. I have become rather snobbish lately. Rick 5150 from COW has been putting an Optimo through the paces and so far the hat is holding up beautifully!! Rick is rough on hats, and the Optimo is no exception. I can't bring myself to do it, although I did say that I would this winter. Perhaps I have the depression era mentality that my father and grandparents had, but there just seems to be something intrinsically wrong with wearing a 400 dollar hat backpacking. :D But then I don't wear any of my vintage hats like that. The Keppler, Feds and PBs are my rough and tumble hats. That is what they were designed for and I have no qualms about using them this way. As usual, off topic. regards, Fedora

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well

You think a $400 hat is not suitable for backpacking....!*!*!**!*!

What is the hat for? YOU to be protected from Mother (Nature) and look good to boot! You fall in the creek, have snow on your brim, rain on your crown...then dust it off, dry it off, and blow it off!!!

Your OPTIMO hat, like my HEAVYWEIGHT Dolphin Gray (I know I promosed a photo!), will do it all for you and take a licking (and still keep ticking????!)/

I have had my OPTIMO soaked in RAIN and wind and SAN FRANCISCO FOG (yes folks our summers are verrrryyy cold). It still looks great!

I figured with the cost of stuff 10 times what it was when I was in High School (ok it was 1976)....compare houses, cars, food. a good suit, the cost of a haircut or a restaurant meal....

Look what men paid for a hat in the 1930's....cash was tight, and you can see how prices compare today. Factor in please that there are no longer MAJOR companies making quality hats, and you have the new "cottage" purists out there. If (God forbid) fedora hats ever came back in vogue like in the 20 30 40's....you'd see prices drop significantly. And when is the last time you went into your local clothing store to buy a hat, and they offered "Dorfman Pacific" wool crap?

Just talking thru my hat!

Fedora

Vendor
Andykev wrote:"What is the hat for? "
Well, for making me look dapper.:D I had the same trouble years ago putting a brand new 4 wheel drive into the mud.;) Finally my brother said, why did you buy it if you are not gonna use that 4 wheel drive? I relented and put a huge dent in the fender the first time out.LOL I kinda feel the same about the Optimo. It cost me so much, and I bought 3 in a short time, that I have qualms about using it for anything but special occasions. I feel so much better when it is raining and it is in the hat box, safe and dry in my hat closet. On the other hand the 100 dollar hats see all of the elements as I never leave home without a hat on the head. I admire your kind Andy, you and Rick have my highest admiration.:D The devil may care attitude. :D Fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80