Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David Morgan 'feather weight panama'

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Will Morgan said:
...c) I'll need your size and address. (PM?)...

Hi Will - I'm only a newbie, but as I understand it, you won't get your PM privileges until you reach 15 posts or something.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Hi Will

Welcome to the lounge...so good to see so many vendors taking such a serious interest of late. I hope you can get the panama situation straightened out. I have a question about a new Akubra you're offering...but I think it belongs in a different thread...
Again welcome to the lounge.
Cheers
Colby Jack

Will Morgan

Vendor
Thank you for the continued welcome!

I have spoken with our Panama supplier and am even more sure than I was before that our featherweight is a great product at a great price.

Bud n Texas and I spoke on the telephone late last week about my getting the Featherweight to him for a comparison to another vendor's product. It turns out Bud had some travel to do, so sending it to him is not convenient anytime soon.

In any case, at this point I would like to rescind my offer to sponsor a 'hat shoot out' because upon further consideration i don't think that this would be a good general direction for us to move forward as a company.

On one hand, obviously from the interest here and my own sleep schedule, it would be exciting for David Morgan to sponsor comparisons with products provided by other vendors.

But on the other, I don't think it would be easy to sponsor comparisons in such a way that they would be straightforward and fair to all. For example in this case, clearly our products' weave is unique, so the comparison would not be an apples to apples comparison. Also, in addition to the product itself here are a myriad of other factors: price, or a discount there from, service, availability etc... not to mention how much people like this or that person!

Paramount to me at the David Morgan company is that we endeavor to comport ourselves positively and i think that in the case of the featherweight Panama it means providing as much information as we can about our product, and then leaving it up to our valued customers to do any comparisons that are necessary to purchase the hat that is exactly right hat for them.

I would very much like to avoid getting into any shouting match here in the Fedora Lounge or elsewhere, and I think I've slipped into that mode a bit previously in this thread already. Shouting matches can be exciting to participate in, but I don't think it is the most effective way to educate people about our offerings, nor do I think it is a generally beneficial way to participate in community.

My apologies to those who were looking forward to David Morgan sending out a Featherweight for a 'shoot out'... of course anyone else is welcome to sponsor such a thing on their own, and, for your own personal reviewing convenience..

the David Morgan Featherweight Panama is currently available from our website, from our retail store in Bothell Washington, or by telephone for $160 plus $7 shipping and handling!

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
Newbie Question.

Mr. Morgan: how come panamabob has better prices? Can you tell us what weave the Morgan panama is by comparing it to the weaves at Panamabobs? just a curious question as a bargain hunter.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
apipeguy said:
Mr. Morgan: how come panamabob has better prices? Can you tell us what weave the Morgan panama is by comparing it to the weaves at Panamabobs? just a curious question as a bargain hunter.

Everybody knows Panamabob sells great hats at great prices but you can't compare his pricing to that of retailers who have rent to pay, staff to pay, insurance and all the other overhead that goes into operating a brick & mortar store.

Aaron

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
Aaron's, thanks! I realize that. I think the jest of the questions and curiousities revolve around getting the best possible product at that price point. I think we as customers ought to know if products are being sold "fairly". This forum has provided this opportunity and I'm not sure why a retailer/e-tailer would balk or rescind at the chance to show the quality of the product they talk/ write so highly about on their website. I'm sure someone here can step in for Bud in Texas and compare the quality of panamas.

Will Morgan

Vendor
apipeguy said:
. I'm sure someone here can step in for Bud in Texas and compare the quality of panamas.

Dear apipeguy, as I posted, I don't feel it is responsible for me as a vendor to sponsor any sort of contest, nor type or speak for that matter, in a way that is targeted at the product of another vendor. This may be a high bar, but i think its the best one to aim for.

Meanwhile, you are empowered to try on one of our featherweights for yourself, all of our goods come with a ninety day return policy, provided the goods are returned in new condition with tags. You'd just be out our handling charge of $7 and your return postage on top of that.

I'll work on getting a closeup picture of the Featherweight and a tape measure so that you or anyone looking at the product on our website may better assess the fineness of the weave from afar.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Gentlemen - Gentlemen

I think you need to read Aarons response. That is right on I believe. It is for all of us to know how to spend our money and where. Maybe not all are as well educated as those of us who frequent the lounge, or maybe they are. Caveat Emptor???

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
We as the consumers want honesty from our hatters. I think Panamabob was raising a concern about the sincerity of the claim on a retailers site. We deserve to have some clarity on this matter. I believe the original question was an honest one.

Ryan

Familiar Face
Are you implying someone wasnt honest? I think Mr. Morgan has been attacked by a guy, who from his other posts is a rant and raver. Why does FL put up with this? When I signed up for this forum they had these rules, we should try to follow them. To me PB is not professional and his tone was uncalled for. Mr Morgan has been the professional one, I havent seen a follow up from PB. I work in Finance and the first day on the job I was told by the head hocho that my company offers a product/service that can be had at many other places. The thing that will make people do business with us is the way we treat our clients. It's called customer service. Yep pretty much lacking these day where ever you go but being FL, isnt this why we're here. A simple interest in the old ways? This style hat can be found at other places, yes I know for a little more money. Public forums are not a place to bash a business, one that you havent even done business with. Ever tried setting up a web page? It's not easy and having someone else to do it is not cheap. OK, not all the info is there but here's a bright idea. Shop elsewhere or better yet just give the them a call. Sounds like they would be more than willing to answer any questions you may have. Plus I bet they have an 800 number.

Duck

Practically Family
Bud-n-Texas said:
Lets all step back and take a breath. There is no need to continue to kick this dog. Lets not claim to be gentlemen, rather I submit we act like one.
Very well said, Bud!!!!!!!!!!

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
I apologize sincerely if I over-stepped courtesy. Ryan, how do you know where I shopped? ok. enough said here. end of thread for me. Peace!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
No matter what anyone says, or believes, I have the best interest of the lounge members in my mind when I say what I say about these hats. If I were trying to make a lot of money off of loungers, why would I do and say some of the things I do (especially the HUGE discounts I give the members of this lounge)? To me, I'm a member who gives very good prices on real, honest to goodness Ecuadorian Montecristi and Cuenca Panama Hats. To several, I'm a vendor making a killing (not!). If I'm a ranter and a raver, so be it. I know where these hats come from and I know the people who weave them and they don't get a fair shake. Forgive me for trying to give fellow loungers a fair shake. I've told MK that I'm not giving discounts to his members anymore. Instead, I'll charge full price and buy a banner ad and a magazine ad. This place used to be a fun place to help guys get hats that could go for $1000.00 or more for $250.00 or so. Now, it isn't fun anymore being accused of using the place and its members. I'll try to keep my mouth shut, but I'll probably be kicked off before I can. I didn't bash Mr. Morgan. I cautioned a member to check out Brisa weave hats.

Yes, Ryan, I need to take some business classes and classes on etiquette. Also, 800#s are overrated. I can call anywhere in the USA for the same price as calling my neighbor.

Achille

Familiar Face
Hello,
First I wouldn't have written on this thread but the way it turns is not nice.

For sure I'm not a panama hat expert but I'm a PanamaBob customer and this for , at least, two reasons :
1.The hats are fantastics
2.I like the guys who say what they think (even when the delivery is realllly long:D )
For me the choice of a dealer (or a craftman) is determined by these two factors.
I've not read bad comment about Mr Weber or Mr Morgan.

We are not in a schoolyard, as customer, I don't think that it's necessary to say who's right and who's not, which one is better and which one is not, but only who is satisfied and who is not.
Buy where you want, enjoy!

Regards
J.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot