Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Day Make-Up, Evening Make-UP

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Rosie said:
Thanks for this, I too am interested in the bare minerals/escentuals. I was worried about coverage, and admittedly, color, since they only have a few shades. But, it seems better than putting actual makeup all over the face. There are trial sizes being sold on the bay but, I didn't want to get any without hearing from someon who actually used it.
Rosie, I know this isn't my own experience but I will share in case it helps. My best friend (who is a makeup fiend and whose judgement I tend to trust in all things fashion related) swears by bare minerals. She adores it and I have to say she does look good. It's a great sheer but not too sheer makeup that still makes your skin come out looking great.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I use a mineral makeup line by the name of Von Natur, I love this makeup...I am alergic to talc which is what most make up lines contain and a lot of people have alergys to talc, the mineral makeup lines do not contain any talc or mineral oil which clog the pores. The mineral makeup lines are considered inorganic because they are made with crushed minerals so they do not spoil, bacteria or mold spores cannot grow in an inorganic environment... this is also the makeup line I use in my Freelance makeup business... I use every sanitation precaution posible while working with clients but I feel really good about using this product line because it naturally anti bacterial. They also have some really cool lipstains which I believe were originally created in the 1920's. Plus I personally know the people that created and make this product line and this makes me feel even better about this line and most of the line is Vegan. You all can check them out at: www.vonnatur.com.

Brooksie

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, thanks for the plethora of information. A natural/organic make-up sounds great. It's nice to know there is something out there that will give more sheer coverage. I think I will try and buy some online tomorrow.
I was talking to my Grandmother, who was a hair stylist and make-up artist in the 40's all the way through the 80's. I know, I should talk to her about this kind of stuff, but she's 87 now, and I've gotten some pretty strange advice from her in the past, so I figured you ladies advice is safer! Anyway, she told me that in the 70's, when they did use liquid base and concealer, which is what I use and it feels so heavy, she used to water it down to get a sheerer look, either with a drop of water, or she'd mix it with a light face cream to make it into sort of a mousse. I did this today, and it actually worked. I used a small amount of foundation, dabbed it on my skin, then blended with a wet finger. I got great, very sheer coverage. I set it with a very light, translucent powder. I was very happy with how it turned out. I had just enough coverage without feeling llike I had a heavy layer of make-up on. I think the brand of foundation that i'm using, Lorac, is a bit on the heavier side anyway. I just really like the color match with my skin. Also some foundations can be irritating, and this one is not. I will definitely get the natural kind, it sounds like it will be perfect for me. But, I'm glad to say I'm quite happy with the advice my Granny Rae gave me! And you gals, your advice is always helpful:D

Honey Doll

Practically Family
MAC studio Fix

MAC studio Fix is a great substitute for liquid foundation. In the daytime I typically will use a touch of concealer where needed, then I use a tinted moisturizer by Neutrogena-- which is great has sunscreen and retinol. Then I take a powder brush and apply a bit of studio fix powder all over-- very sheer, but great for evening skin tones. I use a cream/souflle blush by Maybelline. For eyes I do an overall sweep of MAC brulee and then line with powder and a brush (MAC bark) then a coat of Lancome Hypnoise in brown for mascara. Lips I'll line with my Revlon red and go with Red Russian by MAC-- or if I want to be super natural-- I use the Cover Girl self-plumping lipstick #976-- which is pretty much a nude for me.-- or sometimes I keep the Red and just blot, blot , blot-- so it becomes more of a lip stain and less of a "statement"

For evening I usually sweep the Bark eye color onto the lid, into the crease, step up to a red cream blush by Revelon (then over powder with Studio Fix), use a liquid eyeliner and definitely Red lipstick.

Honey Doll

Tourbillion said:
Unfortunately Streamline Press is no more. I have the makeup book, which is great, but you can find a lot of that information on www.return2style.de if you can't get a hold of a copy.

I would say more about daytime makeup, but lately all I wear is mascara and mineral powder (I mix my own pinky mauve shade). Sometimes pink or coral lipstick, those shades are good with my skin, they work for a vintage look too.

The only copy I found used online of this book has an asking price of over $500:eek: :eek:
I think I could manage pretty well with the info online rathar than pay that much!lol

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Miss Marnie said:
I have used this brand for a little over a year, and love it!!! I have very sensitive skin and every other brand (Cover Girl to Mary Kay) has caused break out. But I was so thrilled not to have this problem with Bare Escentuals. I have even gone to bed with the make up on and haven't had any problems:eek: . I use the fairly light shade, there are two lighter shades than that. The foundation shades are very forgiving.

Thanks for that Miss Marnie, I think I will try and track down a sample pot of the Light or the Fairly light.
I have just been reading the reviews on Make Up Alley and they are fairly mixed, so I think it must boil down to skin type and the look that you are after. Hopefully it will work for me!
many thanks for the info:)

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Mineral make-up

I've been using a sample of the mineral foundation from the UK brand Lily Lolo for a while and I can definitely recommend it! It lasts all day without looking too obvious and there are no nasty parabens or other chemicals in it - and since it's a powder you can carry it around with you in a compact! Also, it's fairly priced and they have 26 shades to choose from. I think I'll buy the full size soon...

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
With me, my foundation from daytime to nighttime doesn't change at all, it's the colors that I choose. For a daytime look, colors are a lighter shade of brown (and I still use eyeliner and mascara), same with the shade of lipstick I choose. Though, sometimes even just using a tinted lip gloss works great also. I know I've said this before but, there has been a dramatic difference with my make-up since meeting MK, I've found it really helps to know how to put it on and buying a good brand. Sometime I'll have to show you some before and after pictures...they're kind of humorous now :eusa_doh: :p

Brooksie

One Too Many
I bought my Vintage Face Book for only $12.95... I can't believe that it is now going for $500.00!!!!??? It is an awsome book though, but I would never pay $500.00 for it. Kevin Acoins book making faces is really good also..it has been mentioned before on another makeup thread.

Brooksie

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Daisy, another tip for daytime make-up is that, I find that just putting on a liquid eye liner on the top lid of my eye works great and then for evening, with an angled make-up brush (a q-tip may also work if you're in a bind as well) and line the lower lashes with a dark brown shadow. (I find if I line the lower lid with a liner it seems to give me that 'trashy' look [huh] )

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
ShrinkingViolet said:
I've been using a sample of the mineral foundation from the UK brand Lily Lolo for a while and I can definitely recommend it! It lasts all day without looking too obvious and there are no nasty parabens or other chemicals in it - and since it's a powder you can carry it around with you in a compact! Also, it's fairly priced and they have 26 shades to choose from. I think I'll buy the full size soon...

What a great site! Thanks so much for linking it, I have ordered a couple of samples for myself!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
What a great site! Thanks so much for linking it, I have ordered a couple of samples for myself!

Glad you liked it, Fleur de Guerre! :) I actually needed five samples before I found the right match - apparently I'm not nearly as yellow as I thought I was. I've even ordered some samples for my mom and some friends because I wanted them to try it too. The eyeshadows look great as well!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I tend to wear the same makeup for day and night - foundation, powder, blush, liquid liner and mascara - with exceptions in lipstick and eyeshadow to 'dramatise' the look, as it were. Red lipstick for evening, of course, but during the day I like brown-toned pinks, kind of Grace Kelly colours, like Portrait Pink by Besame or Rosewood by Loreal. And on the eyes, just a champagney/beige eyeshadow for day and then darker tones for night. It seems to work okay, and is convienient for the days when I just don't have time to take it all off and reapply.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
JazzBaby said:
I tend to wear the same makeup for day and night - foundation, powder, blush, liquid liner and mascara - with exceptions in lipstick and eyeshadow to 'dramatise' the look, as it were. Red lipstick for evening, of course, but during the day I like brown-toned pinks, kind of Grace Kelly colours, like Portrait Pink by Besame or Rosewood by Loreal. And on the eyes, just a champagney/beige eyeshadow for day and then darker tones for night. It seems to work okay, and is convienient for the days when I just don't have time to take it all off and reapply.

This is pretty much my routine. I generally wear either Bare Minerals foundation or the Coty Airspun powder in extra coverage. Then blush, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, mascara, shadow, and some lipstick. I just go a little more dramatic for evening - darker shadows, a more red lipstick, etc. It sounds like I wear a lot, but I really don't. I like a very natural look. This photo was taken this past weekend, you cannot see my eyes, but it is my normal "daytime" look:
2hdsdie.jpg

I was only wearing the Coty powder that day. Granted, I don't need much coverage so it may not work for everyone.

I've been using Bare Minerals for about a year now and I'm a diehard fan. I will never, ever go back to "regular" foundation. To be honest, the idea of a liquid foundation skeeves me out a little now. I also like wearing the Coty Airspun alone, but when I need something with more moisture, I'll wear Burt's Bees tinted moisturizer.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I hope I'm not inappropriately resurrecting an old thread. It seems like make-up has been the main preoccupation in the Powder Room as of late, but this is my last question, I promise!

Normally I have pretty good skin, but over the last few weeks I've been experiencing a downward spiral of breaking out that a few dabs of concealer just isn't cutting. When I was a teenager I loved to experiment (poorly) with makeup. In the process, I bought a lot of stuff. My conclusion then was that there was no foundation under $10 that was light enough for my skin. Well, today, I thought that maybe somehow I'd gotten less pale since I was 16 and bought Cover Girl clean makeup in their lightest shade. Of course, it's too dark. The reason I'm trying to go cheap is that it's my hope I won't have to make foundation a permanent step, at least not right now. Does anyone know of a cheap foundation that comes in a really, really pale shade?

(I've read recommendations for Shiseido before on this forum, but, honestly, $40+ for a bottle of makeup just isn't in my price range.)

Thanks, ladies!

Daisy Buchanan

Polka Dot said:
I hope I'm not inappropriately resurrecting an old thread. It seems like make-up has been the main preoccupation in the Powder Room as of late, but this is my last question, I promise!

Normally I have pretty good skin, but over the last few weeks I've been experiencing a downward spiral of breaking out that a few dabs of concealer just isn't cutting. When I was a teenager I loved to experiment (poorly) with makeup. In the process, I bought a lot of stuff. My conclusion then was that there was no foundation under $10 that was light enough for my skin. Well, today, I thought that maybe somehow I'd gotten less pale since I was 16 and bought Cover Girl clean makeup in their lightest shade. Of course, it's too dark. The reason I'm trying to go cheap is that it's my hope I won't have to make foundation a permanent step, at least not right now. Does anyone know of a cheap foundation that comes in a really, really pale shade?

(I've read recommendations for Shiseido before on this forum, but, honestly, $40+ for a bottle of makeup just isn't in my price range.)

Thanks, ladies!
Hey Polka Dot. No worries about resurrecting an older thread. It's easier to do that than to start yet another thread on the same topic.

I need a light foundation too. There are a few things you can do. To keep cost down check out Almay. I wish I could remember the exact shade that I used, but just check the section out in your local pharmacy. I'm pretty sure a good size bottle is around seven dollars. It's also hypo-allergenic, so it shouldn't do damage to your fine skin.
As for price, I have some reasoning for purchasing a brand that is a little higher in the price range. First of all, in my case foundation tends to last a really long time. If this is the case for you, and you do have trouble finding a shade you really like with a make-up that is non-irritant to your skin, it might be worth your while to spend a little more on a pricier brand. If you rarely use it, it's gonna last you a long time. Just as long as you always use a clean q-tip as an applicator and tighten the lid really well to try and prevent some of the contamination that can occur in bottles that are not well taken care of.
One such brand is Clinique. It is not nearly as expensive as Shisheido, and they have a really wide range of tint options. I have a very sheer, barely there foundation that gives me perfect coverage. It too is also good for sensitive skin. I haven't bought it in a while, but I remember it being about fifteen dollars for a good size bottle. Another nice thing about Clinique are the sales people, in my experience, can be very helpful in helping you pick out the perfect shade and weight.
I love Trish McEvoy, but that can be expensive and is sold at very few stores, at least in my area.
So, if you want to keep cost low, I'd check out the Almay products at the local pharmacy. But for a few dollars more, which in the long run might not be so bad, you can move up a level to Clinique, where you will get good customer service and probably have a better understanding of the exact product you need/want. If I was using a lot of foundation everyday, I'd want to keep the cost down too. Between foundation, powder, shadows, glosses, lipsticks, lip/eye liner and mascara, the cost of make-up can really sky rocket. I'm stuck buying the more expensive brands because I'm picky about my pallette, and it just so happens that the colors I truly fell for were in the more expensive lines. But, I make sure to keep everything as sterile as possible, so I get the most for my money. I have some lesser expensive make-up that I like to wear when I'm just doing everyday stuff, and don't need a full face. I try to hold onto the more expensive stuff for as long as possible. Except for mascara. That I use L'Oreal, and throw it away every three months for sanitary reasons. Since I toss it so much, it's not worth it to me to buy the really expensive stuff.
OK, my point. It sounds like you really don't wear it that often. If you take a look at some of the higher end foundations, you might have better luck. And since it's not something you're gonna be using up in a day, in the long run, it might not make too much of a dent in the wallet.
Another brand that I have heard people are very happy with is Physicians Formula. This is also sold at the local pharmacy, and every time I see it, one item or another from the line is on sale. I haven't used their foundation or concealer, but I do have an eye shadow set with blacks and greys that I really like. It's not as long lasting as the Besame, but it doesn't crease like a lot of the other less expensive shadows. OK, sorry about the tangent on shadows and such. I got a little off topic from your question about foundation. To sum it up Almay and Physicians Formula seem to be two brands that are easily found and are of good price. Clinique foundation is a little more expensive, but I think it is cleaner, lighter, and you can really play around with the colors at their booths in the mall so you know you are making the right decision... Good luck. Let us know what you end up getting.

Daisy Buchanan

JazzBaby said:
I tend to wear the same makeup for day and night - foundation, powder, blush, liquid liner and mascara - with exceptions in lipstick and eyeshadow to 'dramatise' the look, as it were. Red lipstick for evening, of course, but during the day I like brown-toned pinks, kind of Grace Kelly colours, like Portrait Pink by Besame or Rosewood by Loreal.
I just got Rosewood by L'Oreal. I just love it. It's not too bright, has a hint of sheerness, but not too sheer, it's just a great daytime color with just enough pep to get your lips noticed, but not too noticed.
I'm gonna have to see if I can get a sample of the Portrait Pink by Besame. I have two shades of red from them, can't think of the name at the moment. Overall, I really like the color. I think I like the shape of the applicator tip the most. It makes lining and filling in so easy, being that it's shaped like a vintage lipstick. But, they are a very bright red, which I like for evening. But, I for some reason, even if I am wearing it at night, I feel like it is a lot of red for me. I know that I should wear red's in the evening, but I think roses and pinks work better for my complexion. I guess I'm still on my quest for the perfect evening red. Don't have much time, the countdown to the QM is getting closer:)

Redlights

New in Town
My day makeup and evening makeup are pretty close. I just wear black eyeliner instead of green, and smokey eyes instead of my usual light red and cream colors...

I don't need foundation or powder because my skin is really good, so occasionally I'll use some Coty's translucent powder to negate the oily effects of the sunscreen and moisteriser I wear.

And then dark lipstick. I wear it day or night, though.

I guess I just don't wear/need a lot of makeup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner