Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dead End and Treasure of Siarra Madres

Mycroft

One Too Many
OK, so this Gobble Day weekend, I watched two Bogart movies: Treasure of the Siarra Madres and Dead End. Both good to watch once, but very much a waste time in my opinion for Bogart fans. They both had a pretty simple plot, that the maker(s) stretched out to make a full film. But, the suit that Bogart had in Dead End was sweet. Anyone like this film or have the same impression?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
These are both masterful films by two of the greatest Hollywood directors, William Wyler and John Huston. Stretched out?!? I don't really see that. Dead End is a bit talky, but after all, it *was* a play first. And the sense of time going by as they get stir crazy is important to the characters' personalities unraveling in Sierra Madre. It's true that neither film rushes through their stories with modern MTV-style cutting, but that's part of their charm!

As far as Bogart goes, I guess it's true that he's just sleepwalking through yet another gangster role in Dead End (but geez, that scene with his mother!), but Fred C. Dobbs is one of his signature roles, a truly creepy paranoid.

"Badges! We don't need no steenking badges!"

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Amen, Dr. Strange!
In many ways, Bogart's portrayal is even better than the character in B. Traven's novel. The ensemble cast in Treasure was dead on- and Walter Houston was superb!
Definitely a signature role for Bogie.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is a BEST classic of Bogart.

Remember, DEAD END was a social commentary for the time it was featured in the theaters. It was a common theme in the Warner Brothers era to have juvenile delinquency, the ills of society, "the system" (before that phrase was coined much later), all about how reform was needed. Lots of those era films were "reform" messages, like "Bullets of Ballots" as an example.
Bogart did a great job. I loved the part Allen Jenkins played, as well as the Bowery Boys (aka Dead End Kids). This sparked those boys careers, which led into Angles With Dirty Faces, and their own features.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is WONDERFUL. It shows the dowward spiral into paranoia with the onset of greed and suspicion. Friends turn on each other.
Great cameo by the Director, and Walter Huston almost steals the show.

He sure looks different in this film compared to his walk on as Captain Jacoby in the Maltese Falcon.

Great Film.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Treasure of the Sierra Madre is one of the all time greats. The book by B. Traven is also a fantastic piece of work. Similar themes came up in the also great, dark and very cynical Wages of Fear.

If you didn't like Bogart in Treasure... then you don't like Bogart.

Feraud

Bartender
Dead End is a good Bogie film but Treasure is great! I do not consider either one a 'one time' watch.
Simple plots can make the best films if done well. The quest for gold/fortune while a simple concept has given us great films.
Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, and The Man Who Would Be King come to mind.
If I were compiling a list of 'must see' Bogie films, Treasure of the Sierra Madre is at the top of the list with The Big Sleep, African Queen, Caine Mutiny, Desperate Hours, and Maltese Falcon.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
These are both masterful films by two of the greatest Hollywood directors, William Wyler and John Huston. Stretched out?!? I don't really see that. Dead End is a bit talky, but after all, it *was* a play first. And the sense of time going by as they get stir crazy is important to the characters' personalities unraveling in Sierra Madre. It's true that neither film rushes through their stories with modern MTV-style cutting, but that's part of their charm!

As far as Bogart goes, I guess it's true that he's just sleepwalking through yet another gangster role in Dead End (but geez, that scene with his mother!), but Fred C. Dobbs is one of his signature roles, a truly creepy paranoid.

"Badges! We don't need no steenking badges!"

Yea, I figured I am just not used to plays into films(haven't seen one in a while). Tresure of the SM was good, but I just thought is extraordinary long for a plot.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Dead End is one of my all time favorite films. In fact I have never understood why it is not considered the first true film noir. From a cinematography standpoint, it's about as noir as they come. Beautifully lit, or underlit, as it were. The odd camera angles and compositional balance. Mostly night scenes. Heavy claustrophobic atmosphere. That's all noir.

-Matt Crunk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner