Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEADWOOD

Richard

Familiar Face
I just saw the first few episodes of this hbo show on dvd. man what a lot of hats. The hats seem almost like characters on the show. everyone wear sa hat, except i think the really bad dude on the show, the saloon owner. the hats are so nicely filthy, and there is such an incredible range. I kind of like the hero's jewish business partner saul's hat, not sure exactly what knd of style that is, it seems very unassuming and delicate, compared to some of the bruiser chapeaus on the show. certainly worth watching for the hats, and independent of any headgear, I thought this was a great show, very very dark and mean and entertaining, kind of like a cross between oz and the sopranos in the wild west.

zeus36

A-List Customer
I love the outfits they give to Powers Booth, though you rarely see him in a hat. Been watching the series since it started, but it seems that since the start of the second season, they have changed the speech patterns to the point that I can't understand what they are talking about. Best I can describe it is archane Shakespearean dialog. I have to turn on the caption feature just to get the gist of the lingo.

Here is a quote to demonstrate:

"Believing yourself past surprise does not commend you to me as a friend. A man inadequately sophisticated, or merely ignorant or simply stupid, may believe himself past surprise, then be surprised to discover, for example, that Mr. Hearst already knows of my inclinations and finds them immaterial. Suggesting, as a corollary, that your skills for blackmail and manipulation no longer are assets to you, and for your fatuous belief in their efficacy, in fact have become liabilities. "

zeus36 said:
"Believing yourself past surprise does not commend you to me as a friend. A man inadequately sophisticated, or merely ignorant or simply stupid, may believe himself past surprise, then be surprised to discover, for example, that Mr. Hearst already knows of my inclinations and finds them immaterial. Suggesting, as a corollary, that your skills for blackmail and manipulation no longer are assets to you, and for your fatuous belief in their efficacy, in fact have become liabilities. "

Let's see. More to the point.
Sentence one:
You're an idiot not a friend of mine.
Sentence two:
The jig is up and no one cares
Sentence three:
I'm not giving you anything---moron!

I love such sentences. It makes your head hurt to listen to them as they are said but used against the right group of people, it makes them run to the dictionary to see what you said. :p Either that or you will have shades of the movie Scanners (head explodes). ;)

Regards to all,

J

STHill

One of the Regulars
I have become a huge fan of Deadwood. I missed the first season, but look forward to catching up on DVD. The language (both flowery and extremely profane) takes some getting used to, but once you lock in, it becomes fairly understandable. "A cross between The Sopranos and Oz" is a pretty good description. Not for the faint of heart, but extremely entertaining. Some great characters, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo