Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dear new neighbor

HepKitty

One Too Many
Dear neighbors,

I know that you're a tavern, but bass bumping at 1:27 am so hard that it's rattling the lamp on my end table is a little much. Considering you're on the first floor next door, and I'm on the second. I also don't like having to go over there to ask your patrons to move their cars, and most recently snowmobiles, out of my driveway just so I can park my truck. Not to mention the fact that when I ask you nicely to have your patrons move your vehicles, you commence to chew me out about the fence I put up, because your patrons were urinating, vomiting, littering, and parking in my yard, not to mention attempting to urinate in the gas tank of my police car, because you don't like the county sherriff's department, which I am not associated with.

I don't suppose a towing company could help out with the extra cars? I don't mind noise so much but I don't think I could live so close to a bar. Sounds like you need to move as badly as I do lol

I tried to be nice, because it was Christmas Eve, from now on, Columbia County and Blystones will be notified as soon as I find an unwanted guest. I wanted to badly to put my truck in 4x4, floor it, and plow my way through. The noise doesn't usually bother me, just when it's rattling my things, I find that a bit excessive.

I am in a pickle about moving. $400 a month for a big 3 bedroom is unheard of, not to mention the fact my landlord is very understanding if I am a week or two late on the rent. He's my dad. I figure I'll be here another year or so, until I can afford a house and can get approved for a mortgage.

I don't suppose a towing company could help out with the extra cars? I don't mind noise so much but I don't think I could live so close to a bar. Sounds like you need to move as badly as I do lol

HepKitty

One Too Many
I tried to be nice, because it was Christmas Eve, from now on, Columbia County and Blystones will be notified as soon as I find an unwanted guest. I wanted to badly to put my truck in 4x4, floor it, and plow my way through. The noise doesn't usually bother me, just when it's rattling my things, I find that a bit excessive.

I am in a pickle about moving. $400 a month for a big 3 bedroom is unheard of, not to mention the fact my landlord is very understanding if I am a week or two late on the rent. He's my dad. I figure I'll be here another year or so, until I can afford a house and can get approved for a mortgage.

Tough call isn't it. Nice that your dad is cool about everything. Good luck on the house, I must admit I'd prefer equity myself :)

As do I, but being 20 years old, and only having been at my job a year, they aren't just giving out mortgages to guys like me haha. I am hoping this nice Victorian is still available at this time next year that I have my eye on a few blocks from where I live now. It's for sale cheap too, and has an ice 4 car carriage house.

Tough call isn't it. Nice that your dad is cool about everything. Good luck on the house, I must admit I'd prefer equity myself :)

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
dear new neighbor

when you drive across my yard and park in it, and your dear auntie tells me to get stuffed when I ask that the car be moved, don't be surprised when I call the police

sincerely

HK

The sense of entitlement people have these days never ceases to astound me. The arrogance of people getting so defensive when someone politely asks them to do something.

I used to have a neighbor who trained his dog to poop just outside his own yard and in a common area where people would walk on a daily basis. One of the other neighbors asked him to pick up after his dog which is the law around here anyway. He said he would not because he picks up after other people's dogs all the time when he is out walking his dog. Um....ok....so by that line of reasoning, if I adopt a section of highway I can throw trash along the roadside anytime I want.

Last edited:

/|\

One of the Regulars
I've only started reading the thread, but I wanted to respond to this:
Along with other signs like, "Owner of this house is insured by Smith&Wesson, carries under $10 in cash, and has a stockpile of ammunition - locked and loaded."

Disclaimers: This is my personal opinion. I have never been in a Bad Neighbour situation. (At least, not like the OP describes. I lived in an apartment in L.A. and had to deal with noise, but a couch that appeared in front of someone's apartment once was quickly removed and parking disputes never escalated to the towing stage.) Most of my current neighbours are seasonal and mostly Canadian. There have been a couple of incidents, likely involving teenaged year-round residents, but no ongoing problems. So anything I say may be considered to be anally-derived.

That said, my personal opinion is that it's better not to advertise your security measures. Certainly there should be some obvious clues. An alarm system sign in your yard, or surveillance cameras visible on your property will be enough of a deterrent to most crims. (Actually having an alarm system, motion-operated exterior lights, and hidden surveillance cameras would be better of course.) Advertising other security measures just gives the crims and other ne'er-do-wells and opportunity to defeat them. Advertising guns in the house is like saying, 'Hey! Guns inside! Come and take them when I'm away! Heck, break in and take anything you want!' There are legal implications too, having a sign that says, 'I'll shoot you!' While a prosecutor might say it was the shot intruder's own look out, he might not. A sign warning that deadly force will (likely) be used may be construed as 'intent'. Maybe not in Idaho, but in some parts of the country it could cause trouble.

It doesn't sound like the Bad Neighbours are into robbery, though certain people who follow similar lifestyles do prey on their neighbours and it's always a possibility. However, advertising guns in the house can attract others -- perhaps friends of the Bad Neighbours, or perhaps other opportunists. Again: When it comes to security, my opinion is that it's better for you to know things that others don't.

It's fun to imagine scenarios of retribution, and some of the posts in the half-dozen pages I've read of this thread are amusing. But in my opinion the best route is to be scrupulously legal. Bureaucracy is a powerful tool when used correctly.

/|\

One of the Regulars
Still working my way through the thread...

first and foremost, I must beg forgiveness for trashing others' grammar mistakes then not proofreading my "letter" before making a mad dash for the door last night. I hang my head in shame

Gaudere's Law:

Named after a moderator at the Straight Dope Message Boards in this thread, Gaudere’s Law states:
Any post made to point out a spelling or grammar error will invariably contain a spelling or grammar error.

;) :p

A long time ago there was a family that lived in a nice house on a corner lot. Some of the local kids that were old enough to drive at night thought it was fun to cut across their lawn to "cut the corner." When that went on for one or two nights per month (usually on a weekend) for a while during the summer. Then they started peeling out on the lawn tearing up the grass and making a racket late at night or in the early morning hours. The father of the house hold got some 2 by 6 lumber and drove penny nails through them. He then laid the 2X6 beams across the lawn where the inconsiderate louts would pick for a path from the corner in at a forty five degree angle. At some point the ones that were part of the team ran over the nails and got a set of flat tires. It stopped for quite a while and the next summer started again, out came the beams and it stopped. I don't think they had another incident after that.

Imagine having to come home with the family car and explain 4 flat tries to your dad.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I have been gone awhile- did the FL ban discussions that include negative opinions that won't please all but that are voiced in a respectful way?

I guess then the "unpopular opinions" threads for music and movies would need to be closed too, though I doubt the intent was to trash any board members personally. Some of the comments are really funny even if I disagree with them. I rather like the differences of opinion

HepKitty

One Too Many
A long time ago there was a family that lived in a nice house on a corner lot. Some of the local kids that were old enough to drive at night thought it was fun to cut across their lawn to "cut the corner." When that went on for one or two nights per month (usually on a weekend) for a while during the summer. Then they started peeling out on the lawn tearing up the grass and making a racket late at night or in the early morning hours. The father of the house hold got some 2 by 6 lumber and drove penny nails through them. He then laid the 2X6 beams across the lawn where the inconsiderate louts would pick for a path from the corner in at a forty five degree angle. At some point the ones that were part of the team ran over the nails and got a set of flat tires. It stopped for quite a while and the next summer started again, out came the beams and it stopped. I don't think they had another incident after that.

Imagine having to come home with the family car and explain 4 flat tries to your dad.

lol Yep, brutal, but effective!

HepKitty

One Too Many
The difference being that the '20s generation learned their lesson. A depression and a world war will knock the smirk off your face pretty quick.

Too bad the wars going on right now are taken much more lightly. Seems that complacency is the trend now

If you have never lived in a place and had inconsiderate neighbors you can count yourself pretty lucky.

Here is LA - the Land of Me and home of entitlement also known as the Kalifornia to many. Here people have neighbors that are inconsiderate.

Since the weather is nice and the evenings are usually very comfortable entertaining outside is very popular. What is also popular is having a DJ (nearly always a young punk extended family member) with DJ sound equipment that could support a concert for the entire state of Rhode Island. The inevitable selection is supposed music consisting of playing bass note boom booms at maximum volume so it it distorting the sound until the cops come after midnight for the 3rd time. Then the household of cretins are all mad at their neighbors for interfering with their fun. The street is littered with beer cans and liquor bottles, many broken. You find them secreted in your bushes and thrown on your lawn and garden or wedged behind your car wheels with the hope you'll get a flat.

More of what to expect for your socially and morally bankrupt neighbors:
You come home and find your neighbors uninvited in your backyard taking all the fruit off of your fruit trees or the avocados often injuring the tree in the process or breaking your lawn furniture.

You come home to find your watering hose is trailing over the fence into their yard so they can use your water to fill their pool which will become green and a mosquito breading swamp when they stop taking care of it.

They come and FILL your trash can with their trash without asking.

You're doing work around your house and have your garage door open. When you come back for more tools you find their 9 year old poking through your stuff obviously looking for things to "borrow."

You find beer bottles in your back yard after they have had a party in their backyard.

You are treated to family arguments and a continual stream of foul language that starts in the house but winds up as a shouting match in the front yard.

They over fill their trash cans and that garbage that falls out is never picked up.

As your neighbors wander around the block they are eating a variety of candy bars and drop the wrappers when ever and where ever they feel is appropriate. (The world is my garbage heap.)

Their "friends" are continually stopping by to buy drugs. A steady stream of different people that come by at all hours for about 10 minutes or the kid in the house comes out to make an exchange of sorts. Amazing is the number of these cretins that pull up with the thumping bass at 1 am.

They have an oil slick on their concrete driveway, a car on blocks and a boat they never use with a tattered tarp over it in the front. See the pile of broken furniture on the side of the house next to the trash and the trash cans that never gets picked up to go to the dump.

I have neighbors across the street that jog and excercise regularly but are incapable of mowing their lawn.

i can contrast that with the couple that are in their early 70's lawn is neat and manicured. Rarely ask for help or to borrow but will give good advice and loan tools when they see you need them. Have some parties in their back yard, but no loud music or noise, no late nights, no trash problems. No foul mouth screaming matches so the neighbors can see and hear. Polite concerned and very wonderful.

As oppose to the third generation hellions on the other side.

Last edited:
The same neighbors have a friend that works construction. Every time he comes by he drops garbage in the street and something falls off his truck. One week he dropped about a pound of drywall screws in the street for everyone to run over. Recently he dropped a pry bar in the street. He leaves and never seems to realize what has happened.

They did some work on the house and people they knew that knew what they were doing came by when they were out and stole all of the tools from the garage. The week before Christmas the son was home and the one hour he supposedly left the house in the afternoon, it was broken into and their valuables were all missing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy