Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

December 7,1941

A Bomber General

New in Town
"In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu." I'm surprised that even then that they didn't check the accuracy of that statement before putting it in such an important Presidential speech."

The Japanese sank one US merchantman between San Francisco and Honolulu- the SS Cynthia Olson, carrying a load of lumber for the U.S. Army, was sunk by I-26. The radio operator on the SS Lurline, enroute to the states, heard the distress signals which were also picked up on the U.S. mainland. 35 men (including 2 U.S. Army personnel) were lost at sea.

http://www.usmm.org/sunk39-41.html#anchor325668

A Bomber General

New in Town
Just wanted to take a moment to remember two local men who lost their lives on December 7, 1941.
Radioman 2nd Class Dean Baker Orwick, a native of Toledo, was severely wounded while aboard the aircraft tender U.S.S. Curtiss; he died of his wounds overnight aboard the hospital ship U.S.S. Solace.
Dean B Orwick 1936.JPG

Electrician's Mate 3rd Class Paul Eugene Daughtery, a native of Fostoria, was killed the morning of December 7th while aboard the U.S.S. Arizona. His body was never recovered.
Paul E Daugherty USS Arizona.jpg

Seaman 1st Class Jack G. Smalley of Toledo was also killed aboard the U.S.S. Arizona that morning, but I don't have a photograph of him.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
"In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu." I'm surprised that even then that they didn't check the accuracy of that statement before putting it in such an important Presidential speech."

The Japanese sank one US merchantman between San Francisco and Honolulu- the SS Cynthia Olson, carrying a load of lumber for the U.S. Army, was sunk by I-26. The radio operator on the SS Lurline, enroute to the states, heard the distress signals which were also picked up on the U.S. mainland. 35 men (including 2 U.S. Army personnel) were lost at sea.

http://www.usmm.org/sunk39-41.html#anchor325668

I often wondered about that statement. It's nice to know (albeit sadly) that it was actually verified.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Originally Posted by Zemke Fan View Post
OP: The search engine is your friend. We've got a 12-07-1941 thread going back at least six or seven years...

Er...really?
I don't care to search for a past years Holiday thread either. Guess I just don't see the point of adding all subjects to specific long threads . Maybe I should....
HD

I completely agree, HoosierDaddy. I don't care to search through hundreds of threads for a topic that may have already been posted. Nor do I care to go back thru dozens or hundreds of pages of comments on a specific thread just to see if what I'm about to post has been said before back in 2003 or something. If that becomes a requirement of this fine Lounge, i'm going to find another bar to hang out in.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Japanese aggression in the Pacific before 1941 is often forgotten and glossed over by Western historians in my opinion. But the truth is as Lizzie says, for a full DECADE before 1941, the Japs were flexing their guns on the Pacific. [And an awesome summary thereof followed. But I don't want to devote the space here to quoting all that.][/I]

Has anyone read the book "Flyboys" by James Bradley? It's a book about some naval aviators in WW2 who met with very gruesome fates at the hands of their Japanese captors in WWII.

For the sake of discussion (I am not necessarily advocating or defending this view) but Bradley puts forth the case that the Japanese - while being a completely introspective and contained society until around 1900 - may have just been emulating what history had shown - to them - all other powerful nations (the major European powers - France, England, Spain, Germany, etc and most recently America's "Manifest Destiny") do as they grew in power and wealth. I'm not 100% sold on Bradley's views on this, but I can sorta see how such a misguided lesson could be learned by a young, growing want-to-be world empire.

Thoughts anyone?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone read the book "Flyboys" by James Bradley? It's a book about some naval aviators in WW2 who met with very gruesome fates at the hands of their Japanese captors in WWII.

For the sake of discussion (I am not necessarily advocating or defending this view) but Bradley puts forth the case that the Japanese - while being a completely introspective and contained society until around 1900 - may have just been emulating what history had shown - to them - all other powerful nations (the major European powers - France, England, Spain, Germany, etc and most recently America's "Manifest Destiny") do as they grew in power and wealth. I'm not 100% sold on Bradley's views on this, but I can sorta see how such a misguided lesson could be learned by a young, growing want-to-be world empire.

Thoughts anyone?

Actually, it happened in less time then that. During WWI, the Japanese took many Germans prisoner in China and on some of the German held islands. The Japanese were our Allies then. They treated the Germans so well that many ex POWs came back after the war and opened Beer Gardens, some of which survive to this day. 20 years later, they treated prisoners with unspeakable brutality.

Fibber Mcgee

New in Town
I just bought a 78 recorded in 41 from the original broadcast of F.D.R.'s speech. Its amazing to here it coming from a period correct phonograph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner