Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deco Clock Crazy

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I am so excited that I just one this Warren Telechron Co. electric clock. The style is called "The Croft", from 1939-40. The case is bakelite, with a glass crystal and steel dial. It measures 4 1/2" tall, 4 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" deep.

The company went from making clock to making bombs for the war. I have seen Crofts that were sold as souveniers of the NYC World's Fair.

f889_1.jpg

It will look sharp on our mantle. Please post your vintage clocks.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
VERY nice. I've got a '38 Telechron Olympic, it's on top of my '38 Airline in this photo.

23feb08.jpg

And a nicely restored example:

6.jpg

Telechron made some fantastic clocks.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have 2 Telechrons and a Revere. Actually one of the Telechrons is a GE 4F06, form the mid 30's. It was in the family summer cottage for years, not working. When I sold the place (weep!) I took it home. When I looked inside, surprise, surprise, no rotor! That'll slow down any clock. A replacement could be from $50 to $80 I believe. I'll probably do it some time.
When I moved into my present digs a month ago, I decided to find a really Deco-ey looking clock, so I bid on and won a Revere chime clock. Very nice and VERY Deco. I have to diddle the chimes to get them to actually ring.
I also sort of accidentally bid on and won another Telechron, which I found out is a 1938 vintage 4F69. It's had its insides taken out and replaced with a cheapo quartz movement. Not even the original hands, and the base removed. It's now not working, but it was only $10 so I guess I'll have it fixed eventually.
I have quickly learned that once you get into antique electric clocks you can go thoroughly crazy. Just like vintage tube radios, there are a zillion designs, each snazzier and more elegant the the next.
WHEN I FIND MY FREAKIN' INTERFACE CABLE I'LL POST PIX!
Actually, click here and just go crazy:
http://telechron.net/

Warbaby

One Too Many
I have a serious weakness for deco clocks - got 'em all over the house. Here are a few favorites:

clock5.JPG

My bedside alarm clock.

clock8.JPG

This little beauty lives on my wife's desk.

clock4.JPG

This is my favorite clock - onyx and brass Dutch deco. I replaced the broken winder movement with battery works, but haven't gotten around to modifying the original hands to fit yet.

clock2.JPG

Handmade Dutch iron clock from the 30s.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Every room in the house (and then some!)

I'm really feeling myself sliding in that direction also. Those nice little Telechrons can be very inexpensive to pick up, and look just wonderful. They just scream (in a very quiet way) Deco.
The other thing I just got entangled with is Chinese Art Deco rugs. My new place is very Deco, and I'm decorating it that way. In my bedroom are a lot of various "objets Chinoise" that my late mother in law collected, so I'm going sort of Chinese in there. I discovered Chinese Deco rugs on Ebay and I'm totally hooked. I guess I'll have to start a thread.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Update: My ebay win is running fine for the last few days. It makes a slight noise that is totally unnoticable when the TV or music is on - it is almost like white noise. I'll have to grab a pic of it on the mantle.

Keep posting those pics...they are great to look at.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
This is my parents'. It belonged to my mother's great aunt.

telechron.jpg

It's a Telechron something or other. Not sure how old it is. The clock itself is in a brass hemisphere about the diameter of the outside of the white ring. The rest of the case is a THICK piece of glass (the brass color ring outside of the white numeral ring is all glass; that's just refraction from the brass case underneath.)

ED: Just searched around a bit and found this page that says it's a model 3H159 'The Suave' from the early '50s.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Here's my one vintage clock. I don't know the vintage, but I found it at a yardsale about five years ago. It's an Ingraham Eight Day Broadcast. I don't use it, because the ticking keeps me awake - it's that loud! Has the traditional bell alarm, too (internal)! Something tells me it isn't Deco, though. [huh]

IngrahamEightDayBroadcast.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
A few years past deco- more moderne, but I thought I'd share it again.
IMG_4204.jpg

Used to be in Philly's Melrose diner.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I finally got pics of my clocks. The first is a Telechron from the 40's. I sort of accidentally bid on it on Ebay, and since it was only $10, I figured what the hey. It's had its insides taken out and replaced with a cheap battery operated quartz movement. The hands should be black instead of gold, and there should be a slim black wooden base underneath it. But it keeps good time, it isn't susceptible to blackouts, and it looks cool sitting on my desk.
Telechron1reduced.jpg

Here's my pride and joy. It's a circa 1947 Revere chime clock. I have the chimes disabled at the moment, so it just makes a little cluk cluk every fifteen minutes. But I just think it's gorgeous. Also from Ebay.
Revereclock2reduced.jpg

This one is a "ringer". It's my kitchen clock. It's brand new, made in China. But it clearly is meant to evoke those classic red kitchen clocks of the 30's and 40's. I intend to paint the moulding around the kitchen ceiling the same red as the clock itself.
Kitchenclock1reduced.jpg

Holyhabanero

New in Town
Here's a beautiful art deco Lux Symphony from 1946 I picked up this weekend from my parents house. It wasn't working so I planned on trying to fix it. Unfortunately, as I was transporting it home, the glass that covered the front broke. So now I'm currently bidding on a replacement on eBay :(

3a.JPG

Bugguy

Practically Family
This little guy excited me... Made in the USSR. I haven't done anything to it yet because it seems to be working. Twice a day its right on time.

DSC_0001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo