Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Defending your Hat

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
avedwards said:
So the best way to deal with hat thieves is humour I discovered today. They weren't annoyed or offended and I was able to keep my hat.
Bravo! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I think your response was much more Gentlemanly than mine. In my case, the grabber was walking past me when he snatched my hat, so I did not have time to come up with a more cultured response. I would like to think that if I had been given more time I would have been able to handle the situation with same degree of class that you did.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, I tried to have a degree of class in my actions since I was dressed with a degree of it. I would have reacted similarly to you if he had taken my hat without asking and just walked on. In my case I had time to guard my hat, so quick acting was therefore not required and I had sufficient time to think.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Mahagonny Bill said:
Bravo! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I think your response was much more Gentlemanly than mine. In my case, the grabber was walking past me when he snatched my hat, so I did not have time to come up with a more cultured response. I would like to think that if I had been given more time I would have been able to handle the situation with same degree of class that you did.

Every situation is different Bill. I personally don't feel your response lacked class. You did what felt right at the time and it seems to me you showed plenty of restraint. Maybe it was the most appropriate and necessary response in that situation.

dostacos

Practically Family
Goose. said:
lol HA HA HA. I never thought of that :eusa_doh: :eek: :eek:

Yeah, that's a tough one. My opinion is that it's tougher now since you've let it carry on. Next time, just take the hat back and state, not ask, politely that it's getting old and to stop.

This guy I know, a few months ago, reached quickly for my lid, and asked while in motion, "mind if I wear your hat?". My response was firm but not hostile; "yes, I mind". No problems since. Well, in hindsight, at least he asked. But it was in a sarcastic kind of way, as if "hey, I'm going to take your hat". I have no objection to people asking to see my hat to try it or to check it out. This situation was definitely not the case.

As for some stranger grabbing my lid, like HPG, that only occasionally happens with gals and a bit annoying. I think I would be pretty torqued if a guy ever did that.
So, easy to armchair quaterback, but I think your response was "acceptable" given the situation. It could've escalated, but, fortunately, it didn't.
no I don't mind you taking my hat as long as you don't mind me slamming my wheelchair into your shins REPEATEDLY!:rage:

dostacos

Practically Family
TopGumby said:
I'd say the situation ended well. Punk got punked, and no harm done.

I'd also say that if you are in for a penny you're in for a pound, and while this story has the happy ending that we all can admire, let's suppose that the punk makes a split second decision that he can't back down in front of the girl, and out comes a weapon. Not only would you be dealing with a punk with a knife/gun, but there is also another male and the woman. Worse case, you're dead. Even if he fights back unarmed, it's a big escalation, and it might have ended up as two or three on one, and there is no guarantee that one of the others won't escalate in turn.

Best case, you whup ass on one or all of them, and then you better be sure you get a lawyer who can explain why you decided to detain and threaten somebody who was not at the time a physical threat to you, and why you beat them bloody when they tried to defend themselves. You will be portrayed in court as an unstable maniac vigilante who puts a second hand hat above the value of human life.

It ain't right or just, but it's true, especially in Seattle.

It's a judgment call, and in this case you won.
Officer the first male stopped me by grabbing my hat, at that time I was fully expecting this to be the opening move of a mugging and I felt in fear of my life, as there were 2 adult males and an adult female I felt justified in defending myself from their unwarranted and improper attack on me and stopping the mugging. Since the #1 suspect took possession of my property worth over $300 dollars, while it might not rise to the level of a felony it is still possession of stolen property.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
Thank you, I tried to have a degree of class in my actions since I was dressed with a degree of it. I would have reacted similarly to you if he had taken my hat without asking and just walked on. In my case I had time to guard my hat, so quick acting was therefore not required and I had sufficient time to think.

That's all well and good, but the real question is: how did the bank robbery go?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Splitcoil said:
That's all well and good, but the real question is: how did the bank robbery go?
Unfortunately, it didn't happen :(. The weather in the park was so nice that I spent all my time sitting there talking to my friend. Again, I put friends before style, quite shocking of me really isn't it?

flipper

New in Town
Ya did the right thing...

...unfortunatly, I'm afraid I would have acted on impulse. I would have been tempted to dot his head about 5 times before he hit the ground, which would probably have led to me hitting the ground at some point in the scuffle. The kid was lucky and perhaps learned a lesson. You showed great restraint:eusa_clap

Flip

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
Unfortunately, it didn't happen :(. The weather in the park was so nice that I spent all my time sitting there talking to my friend. Again, I put friends before style, quite shocking of me really isn't it?
Well, nothing like gunfire to spoil a pleasant day with a friend. Save it for a rainy day.

Bingles

A-List Customer
I've never been a fighting man... thankfully never had to... but God help someone if they try to take the hat off my head. A friend of mine came up behind me at a bar and took the hat off my head just to examine it better.. I spun around so fast, and gave him such a look, that to this day, he politely asks if he can see my hat.. and handles them with the utmost care.

ortega76

Practically Family
Violence is always to be avoided, but if it comes down to it- try a kick to the side of the knee. You might get lucky and break a kneecap and guy will go down real quick. That or a punch to the throat.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Protect the Hat!

Nice work, Bill!!!

As we have discussed on many, many occassions, you must protect your Johnnyphi hats at all costs. It is the only way to protect Hirsch's legacy.

Your Johnnyphi hats are the best of the best (thanks to your ability to ignore and/or evade the dismal economy). This is not a matter of law or justice... To put it simply, the hopes, dreams, and aspirations of the vintage fur felt-loving world rest upon your 7 1/2 noggin!

For future reference... If you ever get in over your head (noggin), you may abandon the Lee, but never surrender the chocolate brown Royal Stetson.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
Today is a rainy day so maybe now might be a good time. But it's bank holiday so I can't rob the banks. :rage:
Hmmm, timing doesn't seem to be on your side. Considered learning a different trade? I have just one word for you. Plastics.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Splitcoil said:
Hmmm, timing doesn't seem to be on your side. Considered learning a different trade? I have just one word for you. Plastics.
Plastic isn't vintage enough for me I'm afraid. Maybe bakalite. But then I am incredibly slow when it comes to making things, otherwise I would have started hatmaking for English customers years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael