Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denys Finch Hatton - Out of Africa

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In this Sunday's New York Times Book Review they reviewed a new biography about Denys Finch Hatton by Sara Wheeler called Too Close To The Sun. A comically terrible title, in my opinion, but the book sounds interesting and I certainly admire the subject matter.

Here are some interesting things from Florence William's review. "A thorough aristocrat, he liked drinking Chateau d'Yquem and wore a brown velvet smoking jacket when he wasn't in the bush shooting bongo and stalking dik-dik. But there was something solid in him... He was the Last Edwardian Male." [title caps are hers.]

I like the concept of him as "the Last Edwardian..." She sees him as a character poised at the transition between both ages; perhaps "the Last Edwardian..." and a bit of the first modern; a truly restless soul with the heart of a conservationist uncharacteristic for his day, as well as some of his more Bohemian, and well known, tendencies.

She says this of his affair with Karen Blixen, "Together the lovers read books, listened to Rachmaninoff and picnicked under the African skies." Not a bad setting for an iconic relationship.

When he was 44, and after having left Blixen for a younger woman, Denys fell from the sky and was killed while scouting elephant. With his family monies dwindling and The Edwardian world he knew in Europe now years behind him.

What's interesting about Denys and what may be the root of his appeal even now, is that he isn't known for his accomplishments; he never wrote a book or rose to a political position. Instead, he is known for how he lived and how he loved, rendered beautifully through the Aegis of Karen Blixen's talented prose.

blixens_005.jpg

An interesting figure in early 20th century life and the book sounds interesting as well. Men, and women, like Blixen, George Outram, & Philip Percival were an interesting lot; from comfortable backgrounds they went to Africa to measure themselves against the absolute and unforgiving nature of wilderness. Some measured up and others did not. Mr. Hatton certainly did.

Too Close To The Sun; The Audacious Life and Times of Denys Finch Hatton.

So, any opinions on Mr. Hatton? Has anyone read the book? Any other pertinent comments?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
What's interesting about Denys and what may be the root of his appeal even now, is that he isn't known for his accomplishments; he never wrote a book or rose to a political position. Instead, he is known for how he lived and how he loved, rendered beautifully through the Aegis of Karen Blixen's talented prose.

I too find this statement very interesting. Thanks so much for posting info on this book and its review. I might have never known about it if it hadn't been pointed out to me. It seems like a book that I'd probably enjoy.

This man, or I should say this type of man, is long gone. Like Hemingway brings up, he's not an accomplished man but he is a remembered man. His life, both the way he lived it and how he loved it and the woman in it, was a passionate life. Nowadays it seems as though those living like Denys did get pushed to the side by the bigger famed, richer, garish and ostentatious group of people who get noticed because of the way they flash their material possessions.

This was a time when men were manly, but they could dance a waltz with grace and elegance while still being men. They just don't make em' like they used to.

Well, I don't know much about Denys. This review sounds intriguing and quite enjoyable. I like the time period and I know I'll enjoy the setting. Thanks so much for posting this. You've peaked my interest and now I want to go down the street to the bookstore and get a copy!
I guess I'll have to wait til' the mofing to get it:( I'll let you know what I think of it as I'm reading it. Thanks again so much for what sounds like a very interesting and enjoyable book!:D

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Finch -Hatton

Did he have much to do with my wife's clan chief (RIP) Joselyn Hay - Earl of Erroll - Mr Original White Mischief? Like was he in the Happy Valley Set too - I think he was in the movie right?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Finch Hatton was much earlier. The "Happy Valley Set" mainly went to Africa to get away from scandals and prying eyes in England. Nairobi went from railroad supply stop to fairly substantial, albeit rugged, town by the time Happy Valley was in full swing.

If you like Finch Hatton, whats your opinion of Bror Blixen?
Just curious.....

Feraud

Bartender
Another book to add to the list. :eusa_doh: ;)

One of the things that interests me about those who "go forth" is their desire to leave behind the security of "their society" for a foreign one. Whether it be hunting, military, commercial interests, marriage obligations or fleeing the law, it must have been a major emotional/intellectual undertaking. During the time we are speaking of the world was not as "connected" as we are today. Electricity, mail, medical access, were not as prevalent as in the 21st Century.

As an aside, in Beryl Markham's West With the Night she notes another flier who did not want to "sell out" to commercial interests. This was in the 1920s-30s! I found it reassuring to note (again) how commercial pressure is not a modern invention. Nor is the idea of the rebellious man.

And..they did it all in suits! More or less. :)

Mojito

One Too Many
This just shot to the top of my must-have list - thank you for the heads-up! Sara Wheeler's work on Apsley Cherry-Garrard, Cherry, is one of the finest works of biography I've ever read. Able to point out strengths and flaws in a character without the work becoming unbalanced, she also strikes me as a very compassionate interpreter of the human character without being bland or too soft - I saw this strongly not only in the central figure of Cherry, but also in her portraits of those around him, some of whom he had an adversarial or difficult relationship with (like Kathleen Scott). She also writes exquisite prose - some of the most profoundly moving passages of Antarctic writing are in this book.

I'm also fascinated by Finch-Hatton and Karen Blixen, and have read a couple of bios of them. I think it's about time for another work on this remarkable figure, and can't think of a better biographer.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojito,
Reading your post about the writer makes me want to read this book that much more.

Flitcraft, unfortunately my only knowledge of Bror is through the film! It's another reason I want to read this book. I want to see if he is as much the incorrigible rouge as he appears in the film.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Well, you've done it to me again, Jones! I couldn't find this in my local library, so I was forced to buy a copy. They're actually not too badly priced on Amazon; the hardcover is $18.45.

I can't promise a review any time soon, as I currently have a stack of reading to do, including a lot of stuff that I have to read. Nonetheless, it should make a nice break from some of the dryer stuff I am reading for school. I sure am looking forward to it, though!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Well, you've done it to me again, Jones! I couldn't find this in my local library, so I was forced to buy a copy. They're actually not too badly priced on Amazon; the hardcover is $18.45.

I can't promise a review any time soon, as I currently have a stack of reading to do, including a lot of stuff that I have to read. Nonetheless, it should make a nice break from some of the dryer stuff I am reading for school. I sure am looking forward to it, though!
Here, here. I am probably going to pick my copy up today. How can I pass it up?

I'll be curious to hear what you think of it, once you finally get to it.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Bror Blixen, reconsidered....

I would like to hear your opinion, Hemingway. I just finished reading Peter Capstick's re-print of Blixen's African Hunter and found him to be quite different from the amiable rogue of Karen Blixen's book. He was strangely silent about his marriage to Karen, but apparently, he felt she married him for his money, not the other way around. Apparently, a lot of the old timers in Nairobi thought Karen was a gold digger.
When Bror returned to Europe, years after their divorce, it was Karen who tried to see him- Bror told his friends she was "bad news" and sucessfully avoided her.

Mojito

One Too Many
From recollection, Karen only made one passing reference to Bror in Out of Africa - when she mentions that he was on military campaign. A casual reader who didn't know the background might be rather surprised by the mention, as it's not apparent elsewhere in the text that she is married. The depiction of Bror in the movie adaptation was drawn from other sources, not OOA or its brief sequel, Shadows on the Grass. I think the Judith Thurman bio was drawn on for depictions of the marriage, and The African Hunter was a source for Bror's character. Silence Will Speak, a biography of Finch Hatton by Errol Trzebinski (and not one of the best books I've ever read) was also used.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Here, here. I am probably going to pick my copy up today. How can I pass it up?

I'll be curious to hear what you think of it, once you finally get to it.
Excellent! Well, I'll bump it to the top of the leisure reading list then, so we can compare notes.

:eek:fftopic: Finally got my NetFlix subscription, and the first thing in my queue was Lives of a Bengal Lancer. Fantastic picture; thanks for the recommendation! Next up is Zulu, which I've seen but not for years. Also in the lineup Zulu Dawn, Sergeant York, and Breaker Morant. Hmmm, seems ot be a trend here... lol

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am reading this book now and enjoying it very much. The writer is quite good. The book reads well. I am only 50 pages in, so more will follow. So far, I recommend it highly.

Jack, I am glad you are enjoying those films. Don't forget Mogambu!. ;)

Mark G

A-List Customer
I read the book when I was in Kenya last November. Most of the "landed gentry" of that time were losing their fortunes. Most of the people living on their properties were moving on to factory jobs etc. This seems to be the reason Finch Hatton was in Africa. Funny, he was bald and didn't look anything like Reford.

There is a book on Bror Blixen that was great. The Man Whom Women Loved: The Life of Bror Blixen, by Ulf Aschan, Blixen's godson. Someone should make a movie about him. Some of the antecdotes are great. Upon arriving at a house of a neighbor the woman of the house asked if he would like a drink, and when she returned with a glass of water he said... "I said I was thrirsty not dirty"

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So, I just finished this book and I must say that I enjoyed it, but it seemed to suffer from "Approaching Deadline Syndrome." The ending seemed very rushed and it ended with his death, without any of the impact of it, either on his friends, family, or culture at large.

Also, it veered way off into Karen Blixon's life. At times, the book had far more to say about her than him, as if no material was available, which is possible, so Ms. Wheeler stayed on Karen's story.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I am about 1/4 through it. Thanks for pointing this book out or I would have missed it.

The life of a Royal ca: 1900 was rather charmed, wot?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
So, I just finished this book and I must say that I enjoyed it, but it seemed to suffer from "Approaching Deadline Syndrome." The ending seemed very rushed and it ended with his death, without any of the impact of it, either on his friends, family, or culture at large.

Also, it veered way off into Karen Blixon's life. At times, the book had far more to say about her than him, as if no material was available, which is possible, so Ms. Wheeler stayed on Karen's story.
Funny, I thought the same thing about the ending. It was rather abrupt.

The first half of the book was excellent. Wheeler admits that very little material survived on Finch Hatton, and that she had to fill in the gaps from other sources. I think she did that brilliantly all the way up until Finch Hatton's relationship with Blixen. It read like a history of East Africa, with Finch Hatton as a sort of pivot point. I enjoyed that immensely.

In the second half, when his relationship with Karen became more involved, she stopped presetning it in that format. It was almost as if she were depending on Karen's book as her primary source and using other sources simply to support or refute Karen's presentation of events. It was a bit boring.

One thing I found interesting was the references to the Birtish swinger set in East Africa! Who knew there was such a place?! That really shatters the perception of the British Colonials as stodgy and bound to tradition.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
One thing I found interesting was the references to the Birtish swinger set in East Africa! Who knew there was such a place?! That really shatters the perception of the British Colonials as stodgy and bound to tradition.
Man, that's why most of 'em went out there in the first place!
Great Britain was just a little too, er, small to accomodate some, er, predilections.

If you think Finch Hatton's era was scandalous, read White Mischief!
Or watch the film- its worth a look!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy