Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Department Stores?

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Here are a few items from the 40's:

179_2009_d.jpg

179_2009_c.jpg

522_991.jpg

522_2368_b.jpg

I also have a few colour shots of Macy's from around 1941, but they're on my currently disabled computing apparatus.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Some photos of the Montgomery Ward store in the Fort Worth Cultural District (just outside downtown), which opened in 1928.

Opening in 1928:

wards-1928.jpg

mwentrydoors.jpg

mwlobby.jpg

mwelevators.jpg

mwstairs.jpg

mwmenswear.jpg

The building survived, and today has been renovated into a mixed-use project, with retail on the ground floor, parking on the 2nd & 3rd floors, and condos (still under development) on the rest of the floors:

97007664_d3bebfb0e7.jpg

158708101_7cac9a834c.jpg

158867749_adb4a9ad70.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anybody know anything about Remick's in Quincy, Mass? My grey Stetson Homburg came from there. All I've been able to find is that it was founded by Frank Remick who was the father of the late actress Lee Remick.

Wild Root

Gone Home
3rd Floor; Men's wear...

Say this is a pretty neat topic... it's something that I've thought about many times... I've often wondered what it'd be like to shop in a department store back in those days... I'm sure it'd be fun! Did you know that in the music section of most department stores, they'd have a piano player on hand to play music for customers? What I mean is, say a customer wanted to buy some sheet music but, wanted to hear how it sounded first... well, that customer could hand it to a clerk and they'd play it! Sounds pretty cool to me!

Shopping for clothes would be pretty cool in one of these department stores... LA still has the old early 30's Sears standing down on Soto Street... it's still a Sears! But, around the main floor it got a face lift some time in the 1970's... ICH!!! But, as you look towards the top, you'll see the original green neon sign! It's so pretty when it's light at night!

=WR=

Haversack

One Too Many
Well, I have some young-boy memories of a few old department stores which were still functioning in the early 1960s.

In San Luis Obispo, Sinsheimers was the main department store. It still had the centralized cashier's office which was connected to several salesclerks' tables by an overhead trolley system. The clerk would write up a sales slip, and put it and your money in the wire basket, pull a cord, and the basket would fly on the overhead cable to the cashier's office. Change would be made there, and it and the receipt would come flying back. Makes a big impression on a 4-year-old boy.

Weinstock's in downtown Sacramento just north of Capitol Park was a much larger department store of several stories and a mezzanine. It too had a centralized cashier's office. The connection system however, was pneumatic. Money and sales slip would be put into small cylinders which would be placed into the send tube with a sucking snap. An even more distintive sound would be made when it returned and dropped into a wooden box. The mezzanine was my favourite spot in the store. Not only did it overlook the main floor, it was also where the toy department was. Goods were well presented on shelves and display tables. There were not aisles as is common today. One feature which distinguished department stores from general stores, hardware stores, usw. was their spaciousness. There was not only a sense of volume with the high ceilings, but also room between tables. This contrasted the narrow space between tables in a traditional hardware store such as Newberts' in Sacramento.

I also have memory-impressions of accompaning my grandmother into I. Magnin's in Los Angeles. Very well lit. Very white. A distinct smell of crisp cloth. And a strict admonition delivered in broad Scots to mind my manners and to not touch anything.

Haversack.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Haversack, Krauss, in New Orleans had same thing with the pneumatic system. I think you could pay cash in the departments, but any credit purchases went up the chute.

You could buy everything at Krauss. It's right on Canal St. Building is still there but closed about ten years ago. ANY specialty fabric or stuff you couldn't find elsewhere you could go get at Krauss or they'd order it for you.

Maison Blanche is now the Ritz-Carlton on Canal St.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We had the same pneumatic system for receipts & cash at C.R. Anthony's in Bixby Knolls in Long Beach growing up. The other stores Mom loved were Buffum's (Dorothy Chandler of L.A. Music Center fame was Buffum's founder's daughter) which had fabulous Christmas window displays at their downtown store (gone since the early 70's to move to Long Beach Mall and they finally liquidated everything in the late 80's). The other, that always had a 40's feel up into the 70's was Walker's - 40's feel until they liquidated. Aluminum charge-plates (no plastic charge cards) up till the day they folded.

But I remember a store in Lincoln, Nebraska which I believe was called Miller & Paine - wooden escalators, elevator operators & a tea room where ladies still wore gloves when we visited an aunt in the 70's.

There's just something about the classic old stores that the new malls just completely miss. Chrome & glass & fluorescent lights - ugh!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Wal*Mart...:rage: They be cancer of the earth... yep, cancer that's it! Ask Matt how they're building a new Super Wal*Mart just a block away from his house... it's in a residential area... makes no sense!!! :mad:

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I read a book about a journalist who worked "undercover" at a Wal-Mart store. She wrote that at Wal-Mart, you're not taught how to sell to customers, or to interact with them in any meaningful social way. Instead, you spend your whole day putting out (and putting back) merchandise. The only time you talk to customers is when they ask you for directions.

Years ago, I spent summers selling suits in a department store. I really interacted with people and felt pride in my ability to help them well, to the best of my ability. Yes, I put away merchandise, but I also studied like heck and learned everything I could about what I sold ... and who I sold it to. And I felt that my work could have dignity to it.

Wal-Mart doesn't give its store employees the opportunity to do any of this. The company wastes new employees' time in "training" by making them watch films praising "the Wal-Mart way" and stressing "Wal-Mart pride", and then sends them out to put stuff on shelves. Well, if that's "the Wal-Mart" way, then they can keep it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There was a time, at least in the better deparment stores, when a salesperson really had to know his/her stuff, dress with expertise, and have a good understanding of psychology.

Salespeople built up solid reputations and relationships with their customers, based on trust and sometimes spanning decades.

The commission system really helped, and so did profit-sharing. Alas, all of that is long gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran