Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

design defects

Winkydink

Familiar Face
while i am enamored with the fedora and infatuated by its shape and curves, its smoothness to the touch and certainly its remarkable malleability, there are a couple of design defects which in this modern age might be applied to the fedora without altering its golden age appeal. that being said, is there a hatter out there who is brave and foolish enough to contemplate adding these two design improvements?:

1) the hinged back brim. reason: i like to lie down or sit in a high backed chair whilst wearing my fedora which to me seems impossible to do with the current design.
2) front venti-panes [oh how i miss them on cars]with forced air cooling and rear vents. reason: i do not own a panama hat, and would like to make my fedora a four season [vermont seasons] item. it gets way too hot under a dark fedora when the summer sun is strong.

thank you for listening, feel free to offer suggestions [polite please] of your own.

winky d.

The vented fedora concept has already been done. So I guess we forgot something in our modern renditions. I have an ad at home from Champ. I also happen to have the hat. They call it ventilated. This is accomplished in three ways.
The area of the crown under the ribbon has three rows of holes all the way around the crown. The ribbon has a sort of netting at the top and running around the middle. Lastly, the sweatband also has perforations all the way around it. It makes for quite a breathable hat. I suppose it could still be done today if you could find the right materials or custom make it from a good vintage example.
I don't know about the hinged back. That might be a little tough to do. Just slide the hat forward over your eyes and have a nap. ;) Mission accomplished. :p

Regards to all,

J

Winkydink

Familiar Face
thanks for the info

but acutally i wasn't think of vent wholes, but real ventipanes like cars used to have. when in use on the fedora they would stick out slightly like ears. :)
now don't go sayin' "what have you been smokin'" because i havent been smokin anthing. as for the hinged back, yes i could tilt it forward and take a nap, but i was thinking more of watching tv or "raiders of the lost ark" or something. oh well, as my wife says i am either a genius or a madman.

winky d

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy