Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Details and Options

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Dont forget the pockets in pockets.
Also I got a couple zoot suits from the early 40's that have horizontal pocket openings on the jackets.

EC

Ghos7a55assin said:
DSC00935.jpg

For Matt Deckard:
The armpit sweat-shield is made of the wool of the jacet, not another layer of lining. No, it isn't just a patch of lining missing. It's actually a piece of the jacket material.

I just received a suit dated 1946 with such armpit shields.

bk

fashionsense

New in Town
patch pocket blazers or suit

Any photo's of the old four (4) pocket patch pocket blazer or suits? I viewed once on an old 1930's -1940's movie. Very interesting look!

Fashionsense

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Do any 40's 6 button Double-breasted suits have a one button closure, or is this strictly a later styling?

Also, have any double breasted suits ever had two non-functional and two functional buttons? I was just thinking how cool that would look, but while I've seen suits with two non-functional buttons and others with two functioning buttons, I've never seen suits with both.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, the six button double breasted style that only has the single lower button closure is a modern thing. In the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s mostly there was a fad that lasted for a little wile which was a man would only button the lower button on a regular 6 button DB thus, allowing the top button hole to roll away from the button. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m not a fan of that look, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s tough to pull off right.

In the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve seen four button DB suits. They were cut high compared to today?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s suits. My self, I like high cut DB suits, don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t care for low cut anything really.

Hope that helps. ;)

=WR=

PS. Note the man on the far right, he's got the four button DB coat. Also note how the bottom button is left undone on the six button. Also, on the far left, note the four button coat has the two buttoning type with no top buttons like the six button style.

70zv.jpg

I have one four button/one to use DB and as far as button style goes, that's my favorite. It's pretty much like style 110 in the ad. I also have one 8 button/all to use DB. The gorge is of course extremely high and as it is solid green it comes off as a bit militaristic. I don't know when the 8 button was introduced - I'm thinking late 60s, and maybe it's the shirt and tie I'm wearing with it, but whenever I wear it, I think it all looks very Felix Unger.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Martina

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the Pockets!

Matt, thanks for the pocket information!!

What's the difference between the saddle and patch pockets? Is it the rounded versus the squared off corners?

I agree with the request for the fabrics information -could you include the different patterns of plaids?

Martina :)

chloe

Familiar Face
How do these pockets date a suit? Do they repesent a different era? Trying to gather this info. Thanks.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the elusive extra belt loop

beltloops.jpg

notice that the above trousers all have an extra belt loop near the fastening to hold the belt more securely in place. three of them are 1930s, but the top brown pair may be 40s or even 50s. this is geeky i know, but does anyone have any idea if these mysterious extra belt-loops are a reliable form of dating a pair of trousers ? do you have a pair from the 50s or later ?

(Wild Root, about your recent PM....i'm not a purist 30s nerd, just a clothing detective) ;)

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I noticed that alot of my vintage trousers have shorter belt loops under the regular belt loops. Is this just left over belt loop material, or are these shorter loops designed for thinner belts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24