Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detective Stuff

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Mr. Sable said:
"A clipboard and a hardhat will get you anywhere you want to be." -Phillip Marlowe, "Poodle Springs"

;)

You aren't kidding. I did real estate appraisals for county assessors a few years back. I walked into more homes of people who had no idea who I was. All I had was a tie, clipboard and a card w/ my pic on it.

More people called the cops on me (I was registered w/ the police departments) in the rural areas. Drive down a farm road more than twice and here come the cops.

The job had it's advantages. I could walk through any building I wanted by just asking. Old theaters and churches were the best.

There were a couple of occasions when I was threatened with weapons and physical assault. That's when calm fast talking comes in handy.

Tom

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Retro Grouch said:
More people called the cops on me in the rural areas.

Well, that's because they figured you were a 'reveneur' (revenoor: taxman)!

With my hobby, I've become adept at social engineering and have a stock of 'credibility props'.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Really, if you were a Gumsole what would you carry? Here is my list:

Pocket Knife
.45 M1A1911 with sholder holster
Lock Picks
Note Pad and Pen
Pen Light
Hand Cuffs
Skeleton Keys
Aviators-for a quick cover up...and the look
Trench Coat
Fedora
Crime Scene Kit
Mini tool kit
Trench Lighter
Good Watch

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
"I made sure to bring my gun, in case someone else wanted to take it away from me." - Phillip Marlowe, "Poodle Springs"

what a great book. Very quotable.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Can’t forget a two door coupe for stakeouts and fallowing the suspects! This 1939 Plymouth Special Deluxe would be perfect! I can see a gumshoe parked on a dark pier in the fog under a lamp post! Just waiting for the same young lady that came to his office to show up and meet up with the man who helped knock off her rich husband! Also, you may want to add to the list, a 1940's 5 cell Eveready flashlight to keep in the car.

10242_36761751.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
I don't know. I never found one to read. I just find some of these covers on the net and so I posted what I found. If I find any, I'll give them a read and let you know how they are. If you find any before I do, pick them up! I'm sure they are fun reading since they will have all the classic lingo and slang from the 40's in them.

Root.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
The bloke on the cover of the Detective Comics is The Crimson Avenger sort of a rip-off of the Spirit and the the Green Hornet.
As pulps go, I like The Phantom Detective and Secret Agent X. You can find PDFs of detective stories from the 30s and 40s at Pulpgen.com. You should definately give it a look.

Your devoted servant,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot