Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Determining Felt quality?

nicolasb

Familiar Face
fedoralover said:
A thin beaver felt hat in the summer is not that bad. I wear felt hats all summer.
Or of course there are the various "straw" options: panama hats, shantung, "milan straw", etc. These are usually light and well-ventilated.

Buck

New in Town
Thanks!

Thanks to all who responded. I'll be placing my order with Steve tomorrow.

Best,

Buck

(Hmmmmmm.......maybe I should trap my own beaver up here!):p

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
Yeah... that resistol Kitten finish is the mercury finish... super smooth. I have a homburg with the same finish.

A lot of those Kitten Finish Resistols seem to come
from the 50s and 60s. Surely they weren't still using
mercury then?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
OK, in terms of assessing quality:

Matt proposed some very helpful criteria, but most of them can only be assessed after owning the hat for some time.

Jamespowers alluded to this, but I want to ask about it more directly: how much can one tell from the "hand", or feel of the felt, when touching and handilng a hat?

I realize that hats with more stiffener in them will have a somewhat different "hand", but among the dress hats I have, there certainly are different tactile characteristics to the felt. The grey Glen Allan (Canadian) hat I recently acquired has a wonderful, soft feel to the felt that rivals the blue Borsalino I have, but the Borso has a slightly rougher finish. My two Whippets feel identical to my Stratoliner interns of surface texture, softness and pliability.

Can any of the hatters here comment about what tactile qualities of the felt can be used to make a rough assessment of felt quality, if any?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
No... no kittens.
You wouldn't have to kill the kitties. Just shear 'em.
24485401.UploadI_feel_so_light.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff