Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deuce Coupe and other hotrods

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
I'm starting this thread here as I can't really think of a better place for it to go, so apologies if in the wrong place. I guess the origins of deuce coupe's and other hotrod cars is in the 1930s, even if the actual hotrodding wasn't until later!

I'm thinking about getting a hotrod and was wondering if anyone had any leads in the UK. I understand actual deuce coupe's are pretty expensive these days, but any similar ideas are welcome. I have seen some bodies sold as "rolling stock" but would rather get an actual working example.

Thanks!

omar

New in Town
Deuce coupe

Hi! I build traditional hotrods here in the states, and while probably not real specific to your situation; I might have a point or two for you to consider. Step one is find some of the old guys who have been at the hot rod thing for most of their lives; they hold the tradition and will steer you straight, You don't really say if you want to build or buy, you can make a arguement to go either way, but if you are set on a 32 ford, either way its going to cost serious money. These days the new repro steel bodies, although really expensive, are a good value compared to the cost of restoring original metal. Spend a lot of time looking at cars and nail down what really gets to you, to me hot rods are a art form, and every artist has his own take. The best part about investing in a hot rod, unlike buying a new car, the value will always go up! Hot rodding is really in a new renaissance now, and it's a great time to get involved; best of luck! Omar

Edward

Bartender
Max, I would suggest you check out the Ace Cafe - www.ace-cafe-london.com. The Ace (apart from being a great place to drop by generally) has regular nights for all sorts of cars, bikes, etc - there's at least oned US hotrod night a month, when you'll see proably a better hotrod collection than in any car museum, all for free sitting in the carpark! A lot of the specific nights are run by, or at least have representation from, the major clubs too, so a great palce to make some contacts. See the events page on the site.

(If there was enough interest in that end of things, a FL outing to a particular night at the Ace ould be fun...).

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hi Max,

"True" hot-rodding can be argued to have lasted only from the mid 1930s to late 1940s. Those cars of the 1937-1949 period were very specific; they were the racer's daily driver as well as his racer. They were modified only in a manner to reduce both aerodynamic drag and weight. Nothing was for show or looks (aside from paint). As well, they were made first and foremost for achieving the highest speed possible, racing against the clock rather than another car, generally at the dry-lakes (or other long distance course).

On occasion they'd race on the road, or from a traffic light but these were diversions between serious meets.

However, by the late 1940s to early 1950s "true" hot-rodding began to branch off, with each branch becoming more specialized into one element of the original multi-use cars. Some racers starting to do pure drag racing, car against car for shorter runs ala drag-racing. Others took the original practical modifications and began doing more mods for appearances first, as in Customs. Then others went into "street rods" which were hopped up to an almost ridiculous degree as to be un-useable for daily driving. But all were too specialized to serve as a commuting/grocery-go-getting/racing vehicle.

Here are some of the modern "reborn" hot-rod clubs, all pre 1955 or earlier. I belong to The Hot Irons and am at present being assisted by club members in gathering parts for a hot-rod Circa1940/41.

http://www.hotironclub.com/

http://www.flyerscc.com/mainpage

http://home.comcast.net/~cuznbrucie/WHEELERS.htm

Now I know your real question was for sources in the UK. I sadly cannot help there. But, many guys here will ship to the UK and with the dollar as weak as it is... maybe having things sent to you would be about the same as finding a car there??

Either way, best of luck !!!

Clint

Edward

Bartender
Weak dollar??? Not any more - at least, against the pound.

The big advantage in buying from the US is sourcing rust-free cars from California and the likes, though by the time you pay shipping, customs, etc, it's unlikely to be much cheaper with the pound as low as it is now.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Glad to see the dollar is improving !

And also forgot to add one of the most important links. Suhr Speed and Custom. He just last month shipped a roadster to France !!! He can build basically any car you wanted.

http://www.suhrsc.com/index

As mentioned by Omar, a 32 ford will be big bucks. But a Model T roadster, or Model A are more affordable and still very cool. There are companies here making replica STEEL bodies of the 28-29 and 30-31 roadsters as well as the 32 (which is alot more, even as a replica). Check out http://www.brookville-roadster.com/start.htm for bodies. There's no shame in replica bodies.

Or maybe you're lucky and can find originals !

Again, best of luck !

Clint

Chrome

One of the Regulars
one of my favorite pages is:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/

H.A.M.B is great forum.

As previously mentioned, building authentic car in europe is expensive. Guys in the states can acquire parts more easily. Easiest way might be finding late '30s Ford because those are cheaper than mid to early years and not yet so fat than fourties models. Buy as original or restored as possibly, authentic hot rod look comes as you modify it (just like in the early days)

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Nobody has mentioned what a cool hot rod the Austin 7 roadsters make.

Austin7.jpg

Might be a little easier to find in the UK, too.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo