Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Cap Co. Buco J-100

wanz

One of the Regulars
Long time lurker, infrequent poster... I thought that it would be fitting for this to be the first jacket that I posted to this forum. I joined a few years ago to get more information on the Insurrection / Aero J-100 replica. Unfortunately, that project didn't take off so for the past few years I have been engaged in a half-hearted search for a replica less expensive than the Real McCoy's version. A few weeks ago I found Diamond Cap Co. through another thread here. My search is finally over...

Leather: Horween, 3oz. semi-aniline, pigment finished FQHH. Tons of character straight out of the box.
Hardware: Brass Talon zips
Construction Quality: I have a vintage steerhide J-100 and the Diamond version seems just as solid. We'll see how it wears over the next 50 years.
Customer Service: I hate to even call it that. Diamond Dave was fantastic. It felt more like a conversation about jackets than a sales transaction. Dave is clearly passionate about what he does and is an extremely nice guy.
Delivery Time: I placed my order April 6 and the jacket arrived yesterday. To Dave's credit, the jacket was ready last week, but he held on to it for a few days because I was out of town.

And some pictures...

Front (indoors):

Back (indoors):

Front (indoors):

Back (indoors):

Pocket / Leather Details (indoors):

Pocket / Leather (outdoors):

Sleeve Detail (outdoors):

Label (outdoors):

Depending on the light, the leather can look either black or brown. Here is a comparison against two other jackets:

Diamond J-100 Left / Black Aero Highwayman Right:

Diamond J-100 Left / Black Brown Belstaff Right:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Great looking jacket, really like the hide and shape - though it'd be good to see some pics with it zipped up.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Thats a cracker. Ive had a few emails with Dave, he is great bloke, and someone I think it would be quite painless and easy to send him my hard earned for his fantastic product. Well done. That is a classic style and heirloom.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic- That hide, which if I remember correctly to be veg tanned, is especially nice. Congrats!

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Wanz.. That looks like a Great Warm weather jacket, nice and snug in the right places. Sleeves and shoulders are perfect..the hide looks like its starting to marble already.. I bet Diamond Dave's phone will be ringing a bit more shortly..

wanz

One of the Regulars
I like the 'fish-tail' flare. Do you bike?
I used to, but now Dallas has the autobahn speeds without the autobahn skills. I've switched from 2 wheels to 4 for speed. Still love the J-100 for its minimalist style though.

Thats a cracker. Ive had a few emails with Dave, he is great bloke, and someone I think it would be quite painless and easy to send him my hard earned for his fantastic product. Well done. That is a classic style and heirloom.

I tried to tone my post down so that I didn't come off as a shill. Really can't speak highly enough of Dave. And the jacket is definitely heirloom quality.

Cool what the cost?

Base cost is $800. Vintage hardware is available for $100 more. I think Dave advertised a sale recently though.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's a fantastic jacket. I love a good simple cafe racer. I wonder if Dave would adjust the pattern to allow for an inside pocket... Lovely hide and I like the fact that the Buco has such a simple collar, instead of the ususal long leather tab with its press studs.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Long time lurker, infrequent poster... I thought that it would be fitting for this to be the first jacket that I posted to this forum. I joined a few years ago to get more information on the Insurrection / Aero J-100 replica. Unfortunately, that project didn't take off so for the past few years I have been engaged in a half-hearted search for a replica less expensive than the Real McCoy's version. A few weeks ago I found Diamond Cap Co. through another thread here. My search is finally over...

Leather: Horween, 3oz. semi-aniline, pigment finished FQHH. Tons of character straight out of the box.
Hardware: Brass Talon zips
Construction Quality: I have a vintage steerhide J-100 and the Diamond version seems just as solid. We'll see how it wears over the next 50 years.
Customer Service: I hate to even call it that. Diamond Dave was fantastic. It felt more like a conversation about jackets than a sales transaction. Dave is clearly passionate about what he does and is an extremely nice guy.
Delivery Time: I placed my order April 6 and the jacket arrived yesterday. To Dave's credit, the jacket was ready last week, but he held on to it for a few days because I was out of town.

And some pictures...

Front (indoors):

Back (indoors):

Front (indoors):

Back (indoors):

Pocket / Leather Details (indoors):

Pocket / Leather (outdoors):

Sleeve Detail (outdoors):

Label (outdoors):

Depending on the light, the leather can look either black or brown. Here is a comparison against two other jackets:

Diamond J-100 Left / Black Aero Highwayman Right:

Diamond J-100 Left / Black Brown Belstaff Right:

Great review, everything (leather, hardware, delivery time, etc) covered, superb photos of details and fit.

This should be a template for all reviews, well done.

DiamondDave

Vendor
That's a fantastic jacket. I love a good simple cafe racer. I wonder if Dave would adjust the pattern to allow for an inside pocket... Lovely hide and I like the fact that the Buco has such a simple collar, instead of the ususal long leather tab with its press studs.

Seb,

Absolutely an interior pocket could be added, though it would
Need to sit a little lower so as not to conflict with the zipper pockets
On the outside.

Ross817

New in Town
Wanz. Being from Dallas myself, Im curious as to what months you can get away wearing this?? As in how heavy is it?

wanz

One of the Regulars
Thanks again for all of the comments!

Wanz. Being from Dallas myself, Im curious as to what months you can get away wearing this?? As in how heavy is it?

Well that implies that the weather is somehow tied to months... Not sure that has been the case this year ;) I definitely would not consider it a winter jacket. I wore it around comfortably yesterday (temp in the high 60s with a bit of wind for those of you not in the metroplex). A few days ago I was wearing a similarly weighted jacket (a spring/summer Belstaff Police Blouson FWIW) when it was in the mid 40s and was just warm enough.

Smithy said:
Great review, everything (leather, hardware, delivery time, etc) covered, superb photos of details and fit.

This should be a template for all reviews, well done.

Thanks... I guess one of the advantages to being a long-time lurker is that I have figured out the details that I look for in a post...

IXL

One Too Many
This Diamond Dave guy is in my own backyard. I predict this wont end well for my wallet........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails