Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did i jump the gun on this one ?

TLW '90

Practically Family
I just bought this Avirex A2 on Ebay, and quickly realized I made another purchase without giving it as much thought as I maybe should have.

Heres what I saw with my unexperienced/ untrained eye

I Love the color
Great condition
Nice grain
Single piece back
And I definately noticed the $130 asking price.

s-l400 (6).jpg

s-l400 (7).jpg

s-l400 (8).jpg

s-l400 (10).jpg

s-l400 (9).jpg

That's what I saw, what did you guys see ?
Any idea on age ?
I'm guessing after 1978, but would the Scovill zipper put it on the earlier end of whatever date range it falls into ?
My first thought was that a more recent jacket would probably have a YKK zipper.

TLW '90

Practically Family
It just occurred to me that this could be some kind of repro, do you think it's an authentic Avirex ?

TLW '90

Practically Family
The label? Does it say that anywhere?
No and now I'm starting to think maybe the jackets not made here and if that's the case I might want to try and cancel my purchase if possible.

I made the mistake of assuming that since the label didn't specify any other country for the COO that it would be made here, as well as assuming I'd see a YKK zipper and 2 piece back on a more recent jacket.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
As far as pictures included in the listing, this is the only other label or tag.
s-l400 (13).jpg

TLW '90

Practically Family
Avirex is now Cockpit USA.

They have stuff made in USA and overseas. Check for tags.

It is not a repro. Someone also asked this same question in the other A2 forum:
https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/how-do-you-tell-when-jacket-was-made.21225/
What I read there suggests that this would be a " earlier " Avirex due to the 1978 contract date, but earlier could mean anything.
I have asked the seller if there are any other tags / labels and perhaps a COO.
if the jacket doesn't say it's US made would you think that means it's not ?

Every other questionable avirex I've seen searching on line this morning was cheaper looking with a 2 piece , and had YKK zippers.

All this reminds me that I passed on an Avirex awhile back because the label said MADE IN KOREA.
I knew they had jackets that weren't made here, but hadn't seen any without a COO that didn't look like a more recent mall jacket.

TLW '90

Practically Family
The seller told me there are no other tags or labels in the jacket.
Apparently they bought it at a flea market last summer and realized they couldn't wear it, I was hoping maybe they had bought it new back in the day or something.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What I read there suggests that this would be a " earlier " Avirex due to the 1978 contract date, but earlier could mean anything.
I have asked the seller if there are any other tags / labels and perhaps a COO.
if the jacket doesn't say it's US made would you think that means it's not ?

Every other questionable avirex I've seen searching on line this morning was cheaper looking with a 2 piece , and had YKK zippers.

All this reminds me that I passed on an Avirex awhile back because the label said MADE IN KOREA.
I knew they had jackets that weren't made here, but hadn't seen any without a COO that didn't look like a more recent mall jacket.
My best guess is that it is made overseas. All the Avirex (made in US) jackets I've seen has MiUS labeled somewhere in the jacket. There are lots of these around, don't get too hung up on this particular one.

TLW '90

Practically Family
My best guess is that it is made overseas. All the Avirex (made in US) jackets I've seen has MiUS labeled somewhere in the jacket. There are lots of these around, don't get too hung up on this particular one.
That's what I was suspecting.
I'm not sure what I'll do with the jacket, but I know that I won't really be very happy with it knowing it's not made here.
If it's a decent enough jacket , it might at least be one more jacket experience to learn from because it's hard to know what I really dislike in a jacket without experiencing them firsthand.

Technically it's probably not too late to get my order canceled if I contacted the seller, but they never claimed it was made here and It's on me.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Can I ask why this is please?

For me, how well it fits and how nicely made it is would probably be more important than where it's made.

Unless I knew it was made under horrible conditions, obv.
Because I'm somebody who favors American made goods whenever and wherever possible, and I can't stand American manufacturers paying foreign companies for work they should be paying a fellow American to do with few exceptions.
I'll buy the American made products in a heartbeat, but not the imports.

TLW '90

Practically Family
The seller just contacted me to confirm the size and to ask if I mind them waiting till Monday to ship it.

I let them know that I was regretting my hasty decision to purchase it, but that I didn't really feel like it would be right for me to back out and would have no problems sticking to the purchase if they felt the same way.
If they offer to cancel the purchase and refund me that's what I'll do, but do not expect it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Some stores usually have a restocking fee for returned products. 10 to 20%. If that is an option I'd do it. Better to lose 13 dollars instead of losing 130 dollars. Never hurts to ask. It's no one's fault. Just how business are conducted. Communication and understanding is the key.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner