Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Digging for the Truth hat

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Has anyone figured out what kind of lid Josh Bernstein wears on "Digging for the Truth" on Monday nights on the History channel? It looks like an Akubra to me with the small leather hatband but I can't figure out which one.

jeboat:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Not a Akurba

We had this discussion several months ago. He wears a custom made pure beaver hat. I believe it is made in Colorado, where he is from. Yes, it's a nice hat and a really good show...KC

josh.jpg

And he obviously picks his hat up by the crown, not the brim!

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Here's the thread...

http://www.thefedoralounge.net/showthread.php?t=2946&highlight=ddigging+for+the+truth

and Michaelson says this:

"It was made by Bounty Hunter Hats of Telluride, CO, and the makers name was Steve King. He has since passed the business over to Nathaniel's Hats of Mancos, CO. It's 100% beaver, and cost him over $500, according to Josh Bernstein. He has used it constantly for the past 8 years. Regards. Michaelson"

This may be the hat right here:

http://www.nathanielsofcolorado.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=25

and it's $745!! I'll bet Art could make exactly the same hat and it would cost less that 1/2 of that.

Regards, KC

Fedora

Vendor
Well, all I gotta say is we are selling hats way too cheap. 745.00 for that hat is probably a fair price in todays hat world. You want pure beaver, you generally have to pay the piper. Since a hat of this fur would generally last you for many, many years, and hold up to countless refurbs, they are worth those big bucks. Heck, most other things you pay that much for are generally useless in a few years. Durability and life is worth something I would think. ;) Fedora

Havana

One of the Regulars
I'm certainly not against having a dirty hat with some character but those stains on Josh's lid just bug the heck out of me. Did he wipe his hands on it after changing the oil or what?

Magus

Practically Family
Havana said:
I'm certainly not against having a dirty hat with some character but those stains on Josh's lid just bug the heck out of me. Did he wipe his hands on it after changing the oil or what?

Well...not to play the cynic but folks...it IS T.V....I would venture to guess that it is apropriately applied dirt from the prop/make-up department. Perhaps even sold in bottles for just such a purpose.

M

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Havana said:

Havana, Have you seen the show? Josh get's himself dirty quite a bit and has had the hat almost 10 years. Over the last couple of years watching the show, I've seen that dirty part at the pinch get darker and darker. What I wonder about Josh is why he always carries that Indiana Jones style bag everywhere he goes. I don't think I've ever seen him put anything in it or take anything out of it...KC

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If he's had the hat 8 years it got soiled on it own. Imagine all the ratting around in dirty places he does. Even if the hat stays generally clean as soon as you put yout hands on it you transfer grime to it. I notice when it's a tad windy he nervously keeps his fingers pinched on the brim as he doesn't want it flying off and over a cliff either. :)

Havana

One of the Regulars
I've worn my Akubra for about 8 years from Casablanca to Cape Town and all over eastern African. It's been hit by mud, dirt, heavy rain, snow, ash, and a fair share of bird poop. I won't even go into how much I've sweated in it. Still, it doesn't look as "dramatic" as Josh's. I think dramatic might be the key word there. And I have seen him take things from his bag but it seems to have the magical quality of having just what he needs inside it and the bulk never really seems to vary. Kind of reminds me of the rabbit in the hat trick. Don't get me wrong here. It's a great show and Josh is definitely an A list guy. I'm just glad to see a popular tv figure wearing a hat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters