Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dishpan Hands....

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
When I was more involved with horses, I wore gloves for everything! Riding, driving, hitching up, in the barn. I was laughed at a time or two for it, but when I took off my gloves, I had soft, manicured hands and the rest of the girls looked like their hands had been artificially aged.

You might use paraffin bath for softening. There are disposables on the market.:)

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
My co-worker gave me a pair of these pink gloves last Christmas, because she’d heard that even glamour girls sometimes have to do disagreeable things, like dishes (unfortunately true).
47b8da37b3127cceb7caa85f46a800000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

I was looking on-line to find a pair for my cousin, and found them here: http://chickarita.com/vmchk/GLOVEABLES/Gloveables-Dish-Gloves/View-all-products.html in not only the pinks but some cute red ones too, with cherries and roosters. They’re called 'Glovables'.
47b8da37b3127cceb7caa85146a600000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

47b8da37b3127cceb7caa85d46aa00000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
My hands actaully get bad from all the hand washing and gloves I wear.
Doesn't matter if it's laytex,nitrile or polyvinyl,it's all the same.
So I wash before and after every patient and I use Curel.
I have to keep my nails short anyway so you'll never see me with a nice manicure. Polish is a no no too. it all has to do with infection control.
But it's better than what dental "nurses " used to have to do.
I read this book on assisting from the 1920's and it talked about going to bed early and basically being a "good girl". I about died laughing.
The outfit she had on was kinda cute though.
You ladies would've liked it.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Decobelle said:
My co-worker gave me a pair of these pink gloves last Christmas, because she’d heard that even glamour girls sometimes have to do disagreeable things, like dishes (unfortunately true).
47b8da37b3127cceb7caa85f46a800000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

I was looking on-line to find a pair for my cousin, and found them here: http://chickarita.com/vmchk/GLOVEABLES/Gloveables-Dish-Gloves/View-all-products.html in not only the pinks but some cute red ones too, with cherries and roosters. They’re called 'Glovables'.
47b8da37b3127cceb7caa85146a600000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

47b8da37b3127cceb7caa85d46aa00000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

oooh ooh! Maybe after I get in the -habit- of wearing my cheaper gloves I can get some of those red ones...They would match my kitchen! :D

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
oooh ooh! Maybe after I get in the -habit- of wearing my cheaper gloves I can get some of those red ones...They would match my kitchen! :D
Get them now - it's easier to establish a habit when it's fun! Those are so cute. Wish they had a deco green and black pair...

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
What is the purpose of the milk and lemonjuice manicures? I have seen this in pictures and while it looks gross, it seems like it is the holy grail of skin softening or something..?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
desi_de_lu_lu said:
What is the purpose of the milk and lemonjuice manicures? I have seen this in pictures and while it looks gross, it seems like it is the holy grail of skin softening or something..?

My only guess would be that milk has lactic acids which exfoliate gently....and lemon would help bleach out sunspots...for whiter hands.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I was gifted a pair of super spiffy pink gloves with polkadot cuffs and pearl buttons by the lovely DecoDahlia!

and just in time too....since I have been forgetting to wear gloves again and my nails were once again being destroyed.

I -swear- I will get in the habit again.....honest :eek:

Miss_Bella_Hell

It helps to put the gloves somewhere visible so you remember to wear them. Plus, don't feel silly, just channel your Golden Era housewife!! Or...50s? When did they gain popularity?

Personally, I can't stand dong the dishes without gloves. It dries your hands out so badly, PLUS you get all the guck on your hands, which means you have to wash them, which strips your hands again.

In addition to wearing gloves, you must keep lotion around everywhere. Even washing your hands with soap will strip them. I like Weleda Skin Food.

I also want these now:

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/fli...ishwashing-gloves-dish-gloves-from-gloveables

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
heh yes...

I am just very slow to acquire things like -routines- and habits.....so it takes ages of trying to train myself for things to become second nature....

I had picked up a few tubes of the Weleda Sea buckthorn hand cream (and a bunch of other Weleda stuff too) for a dollar at a Walgreens...and I do really like it. So maybe I will try the Skin food when I use the Sea Buckthorn up.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Oh.. Gloves!! I really like the red ones!! I wear gloves if I know I am going to be cleaning anything.. eventhough my household products are all natural.. it just a habbit..

I do love the Weleda Hand Cream.. Yummm to my skin!:D

Miss_Bella_Hell

Miss Neecerie said:
heh yes...

I am just very slow to acquire things like -routines- and habits.....so it takes ages of trying to train myself for things to become second nature....

I had picked up a few tubes of the Weleda Sea buckthorn hand cream (and a bunch of other Weleda stuff too) for a dollar at a Walgreens...and I do really like it. So maybe I will try the Skin food when I use the Sea Buckthorn up.

I also like to do the dishes with REALLY hot water, too hot to stand without gloves on.

Weleda for $1??? When? So cheap!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I also like to do the dishes with REALLY hot water, too hot to stand without gloves on.

Weleda for $1??? When? So cheap!

Walgreens stopped carrying their full line....so just before that, which was probably say 2-3 months ago...they had them all in a clearance bin in the back...for either 1 or 3 dollars....

I got quite a few...and then I actually kept stopping at -other- walgreens to see if there was more...but alas no.....

So I have two sea buckthorn shower gels, sea buckthorn body lotion, two hand creams. Then Almond cleansing cream and cream, and an almond hand lotion. (their almond stuff does not -smell- like almonds...hehe)

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Walgreens stopped carrying their full line....so just before that, which was probably say 2-3 months ago...they had them all in a clearance bin in the back...for either 1 or 3 dollars....

I got quite a few...and then I actually kept stopping at -other- walgreens to see if there was more...but alas no.....

So I have two sea buckthorn shower gels, sea buckthorn body lotion, two hand creams. Then Almond cleansing cream and cream, and an almond hand lotion. (their almond stuff does not -smell- like almonds...hehe)

Tell me about it... I was suprised by the smell.. I cant use the almond face creme .. it made my skin angry.. but I use it also as a hydrator on the skin when I get ashy.. LOL lol

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
I'm 39 and I've done a lot of manual labor--without gloves. My face looks about 32, and my hands look about 50.

I feel you, sister...I went through diapers and years later, my hands look like raw hamburger meat...lol

Neutrogena fisherman's formula hand cream...is a life saver...anything with glycerine, as a main ingredient is good!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
LelaViavonie said:
Oh.. Gloves!! I really like the red ones!! I wear gloves if I know I am going to be cleaning anything.. eventhough my household products are all natural.. it just a habbit..

I do love the Weleda Hand Cream.. Yummm to my skin!:D

Natural products have come a looong way...haven't they? I just switched my dish soap to Full Circle organic...what a diff!

hotrodmama0201

Familiar Face
I started using gloves a few weeks ago and it has made a big difference with my hands. My cuticles are starting to repair themselves and I am not picking at my fingers as much. I also started to keep a little tube of hand cream right by the kitchen sink, so I've made a habit of putting it on every time I walk away from the sink.

I do SO MANY darned dishes, it never stops. Vintage apartment = no dishwasher and small shallow sink. Which is great....we want it that way. Though, I constantly have to wash cause even a coffee mug in the sink is in the way. It's only now that I realize how much damage I was doing to my hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany