Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Aero Jackets Run Large?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'm seriously considering buying an Aero Long Halfbelt (maybe from Mark at Aero USA) and have a concern about the sizing. While I realize Aero makes their jackets to order, based on measurements provided - it seems as though many of the jackets I see are cut quite large. A size 40 Highwayman with a 24-inch pit to pit, a size 38 Radjacke with a 23.5-inch pit to pit, a size 40 Barnstormer with a 23-inch pit to pit?

Does Aero just automatically add some inches to the measurements provided or do customers simply request a loose fit? I'm a size 40 and in good shape, but I am 47 years old and am not looking for skin tight. I have a size 40 LW Ryder with a 21.5-inch pit to pit. Great jacket and a great slim fit, but I would probably want a little looser fit with the long halfbelt. 23 - 24-inch pit to pit would just be swimmimg on me, though. Is it is simply a model issue, in other words, some models just fit a little looser? I seem to see quite a number of Aero jackets that are being sold on this forum because they are too big. If Aero cuts to order, why do they seem so big?

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
I think a distinction that Mark has recently added to his eBay site (far too late for many people, including me...) is worth noting, namely that Aero jackets are made to order, not made to measure. And their interpretation/translation of your "order" is, in my experience at least, generous (some jackets, like that size 38 Radjacke on eBay, defy explanation).

I am a size 40 in a men's suit and I wear a size 40 in the Aero cafe racer and the Aero 50s slim half-belt (both of which are slim fitting jackets) but I wear a size 38 in the Highwayman (I don't know about the other coats, I can't afford to buy any more coats in the wrong size :( ...).

Starting with that information, ask Mark how the long half-belt is cut vis a vis the 50s slim half-belt and/or the Highwayman and take it from there. My bet is unless the long half-belt is one of their slimmer cut models you will be better off sizing down to a 38.

Otter

One Too Many
If anything slightly on the tight side I have found. My Hercules is a 44 and is a snug fit for my 44 chest, likewise th 44 M/C jacket is a nice snug fit for use on the bike. Most of te military jackets are a very snug fit, I take a size 46 in the B-10.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
If anything slightly on the tight side I have found. My Hercules is a 44 and is a snug fit for my 44 chest, likewise th 44 M/C jacket is a nice snug fit for use on the bike. Most of te military jackets are a very snug fit, I take a size 46 in the B-10.

I'm sure that's the case sometimes, but the jackets I referenced aren't anyway near the tight side. In going back on this B&S archives, I also saw an Aero A2in size 46 with a 26-inch pit to pit - which I think would be considered oversized in almost anyone's book.

dortiz

One of the Regulars
If I had ordered with Mark I would have had a 44. Amanda took the same info and put in my perfectly tailored 42.

Edward

Bartender
Amanda has never steered me wrong on sizing. The Highwayman, fwiw, is a big and boxy jacket by design, as were the originals. If you want a neater fit in that one, you will need to size down. That said, it's not a jacket i'd choose to begin with if a neat fit is desired.

blethook

One of the Regulars
I would say yes, Aero sizes are generous!

Sounds like we're the same size. Most of my jackets have armpit-armpit measurement of 21 to 22 inches.

My last jacket from Aero (Half-belt deluxe) ended up having a 38 tag but actually made from size 36 pattern with smaller turnings. Get a good-fitting jacket similar to the model you want & tell Aero the measurements.

Also provide them with your actual body measurements & tell them how you want the jacket to fit. Don't go by the tag size.

B.

Peacoat

Bartender
If anything slightly on the tight side I have found.

I agree with the Otter; my Highwayman is a tight fit. It looks great, but I prefer my jackets to be a little looser so I can layer. Had I known to tell Aero that bit of information, they would have built it a little looser. However, it works out OK as it is a good fit without layering. When it is cold enough for a sweater or a vest underneath, I just grab something else from the closet. It's not as if I don't have other jackets to choose from!

Forrest

Familiar Face
If you are ordering directly through Aero, just tell them what kind of fit you prefer. Generally, from what I've seen on these boards, Aero will default to a fairly generous cut (6 inches over your chest size), whereas other vendors typically add only 4 inches to the chest size. Of course that will vary with what model jacket you're ordering. Cafe Racers will be slim, while the Highwayman I would think would be a bit more generous.

I've been staying out of these 'sizing' threads...since there seems to be so many differing opinions anymore. However..the more confusing...the better chance of getting an ill fitting jacket .
I wear a size 40 in practically every kind of jacket...Suit...Utility..MC..etc.
Do these Aeros look in any way oversized?? They are all size 40...and I think pit to pit 22-23"...

HH Stuart...

IMG_0736.jpg

HH Bootlegger...

IMG_0596.jpg

Same HH Bootlegger fresh out of the box...never worn..

IMG_0591-1.jpg

HH Highwayman...

100_0458.jpg

These are Standard size 40s...with 1 1/4"(26 1/4) added to sleeves...and 1 1/2" (26 1/2) added to body length on first two jackets...since I am 6'2" tall..and long arms.
The size 40 older Highwayman has 3/4" added to sleeves.
HD

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
HoosierDaddy,
Thanks for the pics. Your jackets look great and not oversized at all. In particular, the shoulders are spot on. I was thinking 22.5 (for my Long Halfbelt) and your pictures make me think I was on the right path. 23.5 - 24...simply too big for me. Again, thank you very much!
Grayland

Tadite

Familiar Face
Those all look great on you HoosierDaddy but I think it also helps it illustrate the problem with Aero and measurements. I'm a true 39 so most of my jackets are 40R and most of them are 19.5-21 inches pit to pit and on the leather ones 19.5 - 20 inches across the shoulders. Even my Vanson Buco in about the heaviest leather ever to come from a cow is still only 21.5 inches pit to pit and fits close. Having been stalking Aero jackets on Ebay for a at least a year I've normally seen anywhere from 20-24! inches across the pit from Aero and I think that has to due with a combination of inconsistent measuring but more likely just due to the thickness of FQHH (last week an amazing cordovan half belt was I think 21 and this week you see a long half belt that's 20 with some on sale from Mark a few months ago being up at 24). The actual space within the jacket could be correct for a 40r but the measurement isn't going to look like reality. Makes for buying online a combination of terror and random chance! Heck a completely gorgeous Radjacke is on ebay (first I've ever seen on the secondary market) and it's 17.75 across the shoulders and 23.5! across the chest. Those are about the strangest measurements I've ever seen. I've a whole bunch of 38r jackets and none are smaller then 18.5 across the shoulder and nothing is that large across the chest. My old rule of thumb is to take my normal chest then add 2-3 inches to my actual chest for slim and up to 4 for tailored. At 23.5 that means this guy is a 38 inch chest with 9 inches! So either those measurements are off, a Radjacke isn't slim, which would be a shock as it looks about as slim as you can get with a jacket, or it's really really hard to measure a jacket constructed from very heavy horsehide.

Aero's run true to size in my experience, ie, if it is a size 44 it is designed to fit a person who wears a size 44 coat.

Some specific jacket designs tend to be slimmer or larger "style"..but send an email to Amanda and tell her what your measurements/ weight is and what you are looking for, and she will steer you in the right direction.

Last edited:
What I've tried to illustrate with my pics is that the measurements on all three jackets are consistant to the size of each. So I disagree. For me Aero's measuring is no 'problem'...or inconsistant at all. I have several other Aero utility jackets of same size that fit just as well. I think the trouble..or 'problem measurements' most often come from those who would rather take it into their own hands of 'customizing' their jackets..with their own measuring process and tailoring the jacket with what they think should work. Sometimes it may workout..sometimes not. Who knows on many used or returned Aero jackets...just 'who' insisted on the exact measurements they thought they wanted..? I too see a fluctuation but isn't always..or even Aero's fault(except that they seem to accomodate)...and that may have a downside if the customer figures wrong.
I just know my size...sleeve..and body length. Then leave it up to the pros. All I can say is..'Works for me'. Saves confusion...and everyone and their brother trying to be a master jacket craftsman. For me..they do reside in Scotland.
HD

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I guess I have had inconsistent offerings from Aero.

I had a B-6 in a 42 which fit well, a slim fit halfbelt in a 38 which fits great, and a Cheyenne in a 38 which fitted terribly.

After giving my measurements to Amanda, she suggested a 40 in the halfbelt. Luckily, Insurrection here in Seattle had the halfbelts on hand and I was able to try on the different jackets. The 40 would have been way too big. Initially, the Cheyenne looked like I was wearing my father's coat. Aero did re-tailor it, but it's not quite right.

I think that I'm a pretty easy fit, so I'm not sure why I have such inconsistencies with Aero's jackets. Whenever I buy a suit (40 reg), there is hardly any tailoring required. FWIW, I'm 5'11", 160 lb, with 32 waist and 40 chest.

Quite a jump from a size 38 to a 42. Somehow..I always take a size 40 Aero in the different styles that I've owned with no need to increase..or decrease in size.
Here's a standard size 40 Aero B-6 from several years ago...

afb32.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Quite a jump from a size 38 to a 42. Somehow..I always take a size 40 Aero in the different styles that I've owned with no need to increase..or decrease in size.
Here's a standard size 40 Aero B-6 from several years ago...

afb32.jpg

Those all fit very well, I think they fit true to size. Darn nice looking jackets, HD!

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I think it can get confusing looking at the label, specially if you don't know the story behind it.

Two jackets marked 40 could still differ because customer A asked for a snug fit and customer B asked to be able to layer under the jacket.
Aero still puts the 40-tag on both because that's what they are closest to.
I think this is how its done, correct me if I´m wrong.

I also think that its easier if you are a true 40, because then the normal 40 will fit.
But what if you are a 39? Here comes some of the "customer customizations" in because they know a 40 will be too big and a 38 will be too small.

I have 3 Aeros but am still very unsure how another style Aero jacket will fit me. (like an A2, RAF, 30´s HalfBelt and so on)

I've never had an Aero longer leather coat..but wonder if some styles are made to wear over a suit...so are made from a more generous cut..or pattern? A top coat like effect. I have noticed some pics here on the forum of double breasted Aero styles that seem to suggest that this may be the case.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy