Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do hats really need a liner?

JeffR said:
Hi All,

jamespowers - There is a very thin, supple, translucent material that's used for the pads on flutes called "fish skin." Also called "gold beater's skin", it's made from the intestinal lining of pigs or cows. :eek: It's fairly tough, so a thicker version could be used for hat liners, and would look much like what you're describing.

Cheers,
Jeff

I think the intestinal stuff would be far too hot for a hat liner. Not permeable enough to breathe well. [huh]

tealseal

A-List Customer
Advice for a working hat

I didn't want to start a new thread, and my question seems to fit in this one.
Now that my hat collection has grown, I would like to designate my Imperial Fed IV as my "heavy duty" hat: One that I can sweat in and beat up a bit through physical activity and site visits, in all seasons, since I'm sure it can take it. I'm considering pulling the liner on it when it gets promoted to its new role and would appreciate the lounge's input on that decision.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I don't like to remove liners from hats. It makes them incomplete in my eyes.

BUT,

If you find yourself out in the heat of day and it's just too darn hot under your lined hat, then and only then would I pull the liner to see if it makes a difference. Wearing a linerless hat is better than not wearing it at all.

Just a side-note: Fed IV liners are glued in so be careful when removing it. When I reblocked my brown Fed IV, I stitched the liner back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn