Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do It Yourself A2 Jacket

Narodnik

New in Town
Hey

Im planning on making my own A2 jacket. Seeing how the fit of these jackets are so crucial to a good jacket its turning out to not be the silliest of ideas.
Ive ordered proper talon zips, snaps and knits from MASH.jp, but Im having a hard time finding the correct collar hooks and sewing thread. Any pointers would be good.

Ive done some research around town regarding leather, but Im only able to get a hold of 1.1 chrome steerhide with aniline finish. I dont know if its at all possible to buy HH online?

I want to do something along the lines of a perry sportswear A2 in the end. So far Ive made a mockup test of the pattern, but without the proper wind flap and zipper set up. Please point out any other mistakes etc. As mentioned below Im planning on editing the fit some more. I dont own any A2s so its tricky to figure out how its all put together. especially the lining and zipper/waistband area. So I might need some help there!

cad.jpg

bilder2.jpg

bilder.jpg

The jacket works great, but the sleeves get a wonky crease when standing straight up and down. Though Ive seen similar on several originals, it still bothers me. Any help with the sleeve pattern would be appreciated! Ive never done a flat attached two piece sleeve before.
edited.jpg

In this pic I photoshopped the edits Im planning on doing to the pattern. Smaller pockets, shorter length, better sleeves and rounded collar.

I will update this thread as the project develops!

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Wow, a very ambitious project..good luck! I believe it is possible to obtain horsehide, as I believe others have sourced their own for custom jackets...start by contacting Some of the more well know tannery's (horween) you'll probably need to order more than you need but it will allow for revisions ( mistakes). Are you a member of the vintageleatherjacket.org..some very knowledgeable people frequent those pages..including John chapman (good wear) and mark fisher ( Norshor leather) Diamond Dave etc... Keep us in the loop.. The project sounds fun

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'd also recommend you get a hold of Eastman's A-2 book, and maybe try contacting regular FL member aswatland, who has a pretty comprehensive collection of original A-2s. Andrew's very knowledgeable on patterns, stitching etc, so can probably answer your questions too. As Boyo said, it's a big project, but could have great results.

Narodnik

New in Town
I know its ambitious, but I figured itll work. I have some experience with sewing leather as well as sewing jackets, but never a leather jacket.

Thanks for the suggestions! I guess Ill do some drawings showing my understanding of the waistband and zipper assembly and compared with the more wiser pros. Ill check it out, although I might have to track down some european tanneries as well. I would really like some veg tanned aniline goatskin, but no luck here in oslo. The chrome aniline steerhide was 600 USD so I should be able to get something at a better price online as norway tends to be a bit pricey.

Sloan I would love the book, but its too expensive right now Im afraid(!)

Simonc do you mean mink leather?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the creasing has more to do with you having one shoulder higher than the other (your left) . It looks pretty pronounced in some of these photos. I'm sure you could compensate for it somehow...

Narodnik

New in Town
Yup, my torso/shoulders are pretty crooked and that affects the angle of the shoulders quite a bit, but not so much the sleeves. Ive managed to get good sleeves before, but that was an offset inset sleeve. Which is something cant bother with in a leather jacket. Ive done two sleeve tests so far and will continue until it works.

2lic.jpg
illustrating the problem here and what Im thinking of doing (red)

some guy

New in Town
Cool project, good luck with it. About 25 years ago I made a leather jacket - I pulled a Levi's denim jacket apart and used it for a pattern, and got 5 or 6 second grade black sheep skins from a local tanner.
I knocked it up in a couple of days, using mum's old Bernina. It was a bit reluctant to go through 5 layers of leather but we got there in the end. I used an old shirt turned inside out as a liner. I was pretty happy with the result but it started to smell bad after a couple of years. Looks like you have the skills to make a good job of it.

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Have you though about making one out of waxed canvas, or tin cloth?

I personally have no idea how to make a jacket, but I would seriously consider trying out what he said. I build guitars as a hobby, I didn't build a two thousand dollar custom wham jam as my first project. Work your way into it gradually, get your patterns right and try it in a cheap medium first. If you like the results, and have the knack for it, then go the next step, whatever that is. Find your suppliers, enjoy yourself!!!!

Narodnik

New in Town
Haha yes thats actually my backup plan! Poor mans leather and as I am more or less a poor young man it would be more sensible. Well see how the leather works out, but if not I have some beautiful high thread count unbleached cotton which would be perfect. I had an Ursula suit in mind when I got it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-L39S91lZc5s/TwpYboCNSAI/AAAAAAAAGqY/Z4xe2DTtaQQ/s1600/ursula_IMG_0675.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4SsENRfwb...GXq6t4/s1600/ursula_suit_hooded_IMG_03741.jpg

ends up looking like leather as well.

But yeah swoosed Ive made one test jacket now and will be making another. The step up to a final leather jacket isnt that huge. I cant afford doing a shitty one in leather(!)

EDIT/

During the night my uploaded pictures went down. Ive fixed it now in the original post.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Props man... I'd buy your prototype if it were in Green Canvas say like a B-10 which I can't find anywhere in my size! You got talent man.

Worf

simonc

Practically Family
Secondly (what i'd do) you go on holiday to aero in Scotland, I'm sure you will find an airbnb in the village to rent cheap, and volunteer to work there for a week for free with the A2 machinists, you'd soon learn how to assemble an A2 in double time.

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
Props man... I'd buy your prototype if it were in Green Canvas say like a B-10 which I can't find anywhere in my size! You got talent man.

Worf

I will elaborate on my former comment: I meant more of what Worf means. Asking if you thought about making it out of tin cloth, meant, I want to pay you to make me one. You may be able to get some money and on your way to the leather materials by selling a few.

I'm a 38 regular. Slim build with 32" waist.

D

Deleted member 16736

What about Goodwear's veg tanned, aniline Indian goatskin? I imagine it's somewhat less pricey than horsehide and it is great leather. Maybe ask John or Mark about it.

I also think you really should get your hands on an original Perry or two before you say you've copied it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo