Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do milans provide enough protection for baldies?

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I visited Delmonico Hatters in New Haven, CT on Friday and they had two pieces of info that related to this thread:

1. They are importing a line of panama hats made in Monterrey that are waterproof. So they can be worn in the rain. The ones I handled are very nice and worht a look for those seeking a straw hat that can stand up to the elements.

2. Stetson will be introducing several new hemp models for next year, including a hemp version of the Temple (the "Hemple").

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I visited Delmonico Hatters in New Haven, CT on Friday and they had two pieces of info that related to this thread:

1. They are importing a line of panama hats made in Monterrey that are waterproof. So they can be worn in the rain. The ones I handled are very nice and worht a look for those seeking a straw hat that can stand up to the elements.

2. Stetson will be introducing several new hemp models for next year, including a hemp version of the Temple (the "Hemple").

Monterrey is a Colombian company that just seems to be entering the American market. Right now, it seems Delmonico is selling only two models, which are both on the pricey side. JJ Hats and Hatsplus also carry Monterreys, and they're the far more affordable styles. Some of them seem very nice, particularly the Reston Brisa.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Stetson already has a hemp milan Stratoliner which looks pretty nice to me, except, that it's made on the cheap sizing scale (s,m,l).

As for waterproof panamas, I'd really only be interested if those happen to have venting around the crown. Anything waterproof is also going to be evaporation-proof, unless it's also got ventilation somewhere. I want just the brim and top of the crown to be solid.

tropicalbob

Stetson's (Hatco's) reluctance to produce larger sizes doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling towards them. At the prices they're asking for the two or three models that do come in my size (7 7/8), I'll spend the few extra bucks and go custom.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
When I hold my Akubra Reef up to the light, I can see light penetrating through the crown, which leads me to wonder how much sun protection it's giving the top of my head. What's been the experience of the Akubra hemp hat ownwrs out here?

Aside from that it's a nice enough hat, although it's much stiffer than I thought it would be. But if it's not keeping the sun off of my head it's pretty much useless.

RJR

When I hold my Akubra Reef up to the light, I can see light penetrating through the crown, which leads me to wonder how much sun protection it's giving the top of my head. What's been the experience of the Akubra hemp hat ownwrs out here?

Aside from that it's a nice enough hat, although it's much stiffer than I thought it would be. But if it's not keeping the sun off of my head it's pretty much useless.
My feeling is that if you're moving at all,the weave should break up the sun's rays so that they don't concentrate on one area for a significant period of time.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
My feeling is that if you're moving at all,the weave should break up the sun's rays so that they don't concentrate on one area for a significant period of time.

I see what you're saying, but it seems to me that even if I'm moving, the hat is staying in one place on my head so the sun that gets through the gaps in the straw will keep hitting the same place.

tropicalbob

I see what you're saying, but it seems to me that even if I'm moving, the hat is staying in one place on my head so the sun that gets through the gaps in the straw will keep hitting the same place.
With all due respect, you're over-thinking it. RJR's right about the fact that you're always moving, but there's also the fact that when light goes through a tiny hole it bends and is therefore diffused (as in a camera's aperture). The amount of light you're getting wearing most straw hats is even less than what you'd be exposed to if you were standing under a tree or on a covered porch. Take the hat outside, and, instead of looking through it at the sun, hold it in front of you and put your hand inside: you'll see what I'm talking about.

tropicalbob

Forget what I said in the above post about the Monterrey. When JJ's were having a sale some time ago I purchased the Brisa: I've had party hats that were better-made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21