Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do Mouton/Fur Collars Do Anything Really Functional?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm not a total moron. Obviously a person can put them up and tie a scarf around their neck and some collars have straps that keep them closed when up, but usually they're just lying there. So what is the basic argument for having a fur or mouton collar? Is it a fashion thing, is the possibility you can put it up if need be, does it make the jacket warmer even when it's down, or is it something else? If I ever get a "dedicated to when it's really really cold" bike jacket, I'm wondering whether or not to go with a fur or mouton collar. I figure if they were that great, more jackets would have them. Don't say "detachable." I don't like having the snaps and it just isn't "me."

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a total moron. Obviously a person can put them up and tie a scarf around their neck and some collars have straps that keep them closed when up, but usually they're just lying there. So what is the basic argument for having a fur or mouton collar? Is it a fashion thing, is the possibility you can put it up if need be, does it make the jacket warmer even when it's down, or is it something else? If I ever get a "dedicated to when it's really really cold" bike jacket, I'm wondering whether or not to go with a fur or mouton collar. I figure if they were that great, more jackets would have them. Don't say "detachable." I don't like having the snaps and it just isn't "me."

I have a fur collar on cord jacket - it's a cheap A-2 style thing - and while I don't buckle it up all the time, I do tend to keep it turned up and it's warm in itself. My concern with fur collars is the cleanliness factor. The only reason I say this because I was trapped in my office recently with somebody who had a vintage leather jacket with a fur collar that smelled like the bottom of a student's wardrobe. Not pleasant.

garzo

One of the Regulars
I have a Schott flightjacket (184 SM) with a real mouton collar and it definitely keeps the cold out when I put it up in cold Berlin weather -- it's almost, and I would argue even better, than wearing a scarf. Although having a scarf in addition to the mouton collar is also helpful in sub-zero temperatures.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The mouton collar on my G-1 makes for a significantly warmer jacket than my A-2.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That means the jacket is warmer even when the collar is down?

I don't ever wear the collar up, so I would say yes. Still like many others on the FL, I am ambivalent about a fur collar on any jacket. It is warmer though, even when worn down.

IXL

One Too Many
We used to have these collars on duty jackets and they were surprisingly effective when turned up. I was never really aware of any increased warmth when they were left down, except maybe, as stated above, on the back of my neck.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The main reason for the mouton colors on the G1 was to prevent chafing on the neck when pilots and crew were constantly turning their heads to look for enemy aircraft. Cold weather was more a secondary feature. Just like the silk scarf which is no longer six feet long.

Edward

Bartender
Stearman has it. Fwiw, I find the one on my AN6552 to make it a little warmer than my A2s, though the rayon (as opposed to more breathable cotton) lining and tighter fit do, I think, contribute. All done and said, if a mouton collar is too hot, then so is leather likely to be, and if you need the extra warmth, it better be a heavier jacket than, say, an A2. In terms of chafing, it does avoid that (though tbh I've never found my neck chafed noticeably by anything other than a wool peacoat). If there is a nip in the air and you want to pop the collar, it is warmer against the skin than cold leather. Avoid getting a mouton collar wet if you can...won't do it any harm, but as it takes longer to dry than leather it can be a bit soggy against your neck.

Last edited:

AtlantaSpike

Familiar Face
When I flip the collar up on my pedestrian B-3 copy to ride the bike, it's just the greatest. Really keeps the wind off your core at very high speed, which is the trick to a good cold weather jacket. I find it to be a terrific addition.

kojax

Practically Family
i just got the cockpit usa vintage goatskin g1 jacket it has the miltary fit, i really like it cockpit makes the goatskin already broken in . one thing i like about the jacket it has a small fur collar and very easy to wear...

pauleway

Practically Family
I live in western New York, and the winters are cold with snow and the fur collar on my Cockpit G-1 stays up most of the time. It does make a difference. I don't really think it makes it feel any warmer when it is folded down though. I also have a vintage G-1(1962 Ralph Edwards) and the collar(which is original to jacket)does not smell at all!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Recently, I've been using my Gordon and Ferguson M-422A on less bitter days and an ELC Roughwear B-10 when the sleet has been in the air. With the collars up there is ample protection for cheeks against the keen wind. The B-10 always feels warm with the collar up or down, but the depth of the alpaca lining is responsible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran