Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do we like sodie pop? What do you like and what do you call it?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you guys have Passiona in the U.S.?

Mmmm, fizzy passionfruit. Talk about a sugar boost! I also have to admit, sad as it may seem, that ever since I drank some flat Coke at a New Years Eve party when I was twelve, I love drinking flat Coke.

Oh, and it's soft drink here in Australia. It'd sound so weird hearing someone call it soda or soda pop. To us, it'd sound like some sort of cliche from Happy Days or something!:)

Benny Holiday said:
Oh, and it's soft drink here in Australia. It'd sound so weird hearing someone call it soda or soda pop. To us, it'd sound like some sort of cliche from Happy Days or something!:)

I don't mind soft drink as a term. That fairly general but it gets the idea across that you don't want beer or other alcohol. Soft drink sounds good. I'll use it. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
MrBern said:
I am a coke drinker. But I'm constantly lectured about all th artificial ingredients. I am a bit concerned that all th colas seem to have switched over to high fructose cornsyrop inthe last few years.

I was quite pleased to hear that 7up, was revamping & eliminating their artificial ingredients.
but it seems that this move is being contested:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/05/cspi_uncola.html

Does that mean they will put the Lithium Citrate back in 7up like the old days?:p

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
I used to love R. Whites Lemonade. It had a creamy perfumed taste. But like all lemonades now it seems to have become a pale imitation of itself. It also had a great advertising campaign "I'm a secret lemonade drinker!".

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
My favorite is cream soda. The pizzeria near my house in the states had this brand called Stewart's, which came in a glass bottle. That is probably the most satisfying feeling- a big slize of NY pizza and a glass bottle of soda.

magneto

Practically Family
Irena said:
I forgot there for a minute that I also drink bright red sodas. Red food coloring tastes wonderful to me, I don't know why.

Aw, don't forget the blue food coloring? Gimme a bright-blue Frostie Cream Soda any day :)

If you like red drinks, try this stuff called "Cheerwine" soda from North Carolina (in glass bottles with cane sugar)...SO good...but which I can only find locally in one San Francisco store (the store, if anyone's interested is called "Yum" near upper Market and they have a huge obscure soda selection...3 different Nehi flavors, in California!?! Yippee). (I did try a Moxie there, but couldn't finish it.)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Soda. Only soda.

My favorites? Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Mountain Dew, Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak, (I don't know if that's spelled right, but it starts with "w" and is pronounced "vish-nick") Frank's Ginger Ale. I thought Frank's wasout of business but some stores are still turning up bottles.That's either good news, or a really scary statement about the storerooms of little stores.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Irn Bru is the -best- stuff ever. I used to drink 2 liters a day while in the UK....

Be aware that the kind you find imported here...does not have the same ferric citrate (hence the made from girders!) level that the real stuff has, as its illegal to put it in food products here. The Irn Bru imported here is actually imported from Canada.

Tizer is also really good...

Excellent! a Scottish afficianado. We also call all pop/soda/fizzy soft drinks, Ginger. I've never really understood that one, and I think it's more west coast scotland than anywhere else (Lounge Scots please correct me if I'm wrong), but I remember friends going to the shop for a couple of bottles of ginger, and coming back with Coke, Irn Bru, Cream Soda, or whatever.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Ghos7a55assin said:
My favorite is cream soda. The pizzeria near my house in the states had this brand called Stewart's, which came in a glass bottle. That is probably the most satisfying feeling- a big slize of NY pizza and a glass bottle of soda.
Mmmmm...cream soda and pizza...the perfect combo!!:D

mysterygal said:
root beer? or just plain beer? :)

Nope. Neither.
Old Fashioned
6 dashes Angustura Bitters
2 tsp Water
2 tsp Sugar
3 oz Scotch
2 Maraschino cherry (crushed at bottom of the glass)

In an old-fashioned glass, crush the cherries in the bottom, muddle the bitters and water into the sugar, using the back of a teaspoon. Add the scotch and almost fill the glass with ice cubes. Add a bit of Blue Curracao for color and flavor. Serve with a swizzle stick. :cheers1:

Regards,

J

P.S. I know it is really sort of a Rob Roy. ;)

jdjs

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
I want to thank you sincerely for introducing the term "Kickapoo Joy Juice" to my consciousness. I'd never heard it before, and I hope to never forget it. lol

What exactly does that stuff taste like? And who makes it: a band of Shmoos?

Aaah, the nectar of the gods. "The Original Dogpatch Recipe! "A liquor of such stupefying potency that the hardiest citizens of Dogpatch, after the first burning sip, rose into the air, stiff as frozen codfish."

Think about a cross between a grapefruit soda, 7UP and Mountain Dew, with caffeine added (up here, our Mountain Dew is caffeine free). It has a much stronger flavour than MD, which is what made it stand out.

As to who made it, legend has it that it was Lonesome Polecat & Hairless Joe. The motto was "if it needs more body, they throw one in!". And believe it or not, you can still get the stuff (although not quite as potent as it used to be). I order it once a year (Christmas) from The Soda Shop (http://www.popsoda.com/kicjoyjuic.html) although I know that some others carry it.

JD

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Let's see, first I grew up in Iowa and they called it "pop." A bottle of pop is what you would ask for. In Iowa a soda was an ice cream soda.

Then, I moved to New York City and it was "soda." If you asked for a bottle of pop in NYC, looked at you like you were from the Planet Claire. "Yuh put chir faddah in a boddle?" My best friend from NY drank chocolate egg creams and sometimes Yohoo, which was more a chocolate drink than a soda.

Later, I lived in San Diego, and some people said "soda" and some people said "pop." (Of course, half of Iowa lives there) Some folks said "soda pop."

Back in Iowa, I now say "soda" and just cannot switch back to pop.

I drink mostly diet pepsi, like vanilla. If my tummy is upset, I will drink coca-cola or, better still, 7-up or Sprite. (If I cannot hold down 7-up and saltine crackers, then I have no business eating anything.)

Don't drink much in a day, I can't stomach more than two of any kind of sodas in a day. Mostly drink ice tea, plain no lemon or sweetener in it.

Root beer tasted wonderful when I was a child, and so did 7-up. They took something out of the root beer that was considered carcinogenic and it never tasted the same. I don't know what they did to 7-up.

I also cannot stomach orange soda -- it makes me sick. I won't even tell you what I think Mountain Dew tastes like. Yech.

Just diet pepsi or a real coke. That is pretty much it for sodas these days.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Let's see, first I grew up in Iowa and they called it "pop." A bottle of pop is what you would ask for. In Iowa a soda was an ice cream soda.

Then, I moved to New York City and it was "soda." If you asked for a bottle of pop in NYC, looked at you like you were from the Planet Claire. "Yuh put chir faddah in a boddle?" My best friend from NY drank chocolate egg creams and sometimes Yohoo, which was more a chocolate drink than a soda.

Later, I lived in San Diego, and some people said "soda" and some people said "pop." (Of course, half of Iowa lives there) Some folks said "soda pop."

Back in Iowa, I now say "soda" and just cannot switch back to pop.

I drink mostly diet pepsi, like vanilla. If my tummy is upset, I will drink coca-cola or, better still, 7-up or Sprite. (If I cannot hold down 7-up and saltine crackers, then I have no business eating anything.)

Don't drink much in a day, I can't stomach more than two of any kind of sodas in a day. Mostly drink ice tea, plain no lemon or sweetener in it.

Root beer tasted wonderful when I was a child, and so did 7-up. They took something out of the root beer that was considered carcinogenic and it never tasted the same. I don't know what they did to 7-up.

I also cannot stomach orange soda -- it makes me sick. I won't even tell you what I think Mountain Dew tastes like. Yech.

Just diet pepsi or a real coke. That is pretty much it for sodas these days.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183