Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you believe in little green men?

Do you believe in aliens? (Or whatever you might call them.)

• Yes. Definitely something out there.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Complete Hogwash!

• Undecided. The jury is still out.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
He probably forgot his book.:eek:
recipes.jpg

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Can I conceive of life elsewhere in the universe? Certainly.

Do I believe that beings from another world are visiting the earth regularly (or at all)? Nope.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Stable theory

RIOT said:
Ok, now that I am a bit more stable from last night.. let me indulge my theory..

I believe that these sightings are nothing more than a "class fieldtrip" if you may call it that. Us, humans, from the future, coming back to study and observe.

Dear Riot,

Hope that your theory is right since in this case:

• the Grandfather paradox saves us from being hurt by own descendants
  • We needn't to be concerned about the movie Alien/Predator coming true
  • We won't meet Zu in our fridge neither Gozer on the roof
  • It means also there IS a future for us ;)

J.B.

Practically Family
Wanna Take A Ride???

I do believe that there is life on other worlds besides our own and that life more technologically advanced than us may also exist...

...I also believe that Elvis is still alive. :p (j/k)

pretty faythe said:
lol Hey, I live in the home of Area 51, unmarked white plans.

Here for the uninitiated is a nifty, concise bring-up-to-speed page about Area 51's "history" from the Hull UFO Society in the UK...

And if you ever want to see more weird-looking aircraft flying around, just take a drive on Nevada Highway 375 in the area around Rachel... (Make sure your fuel tank is topped off if you plan to do much exploring in the area. That highway sign at Rachel says "Next Gas -- 110 Miles," and that's emmes ! -- next stop, Tonopah! OTOH of course, if you do explore past the warning signs toward Groom Lake you'll soon have all the company you'll ever need -- it's just that they probably won't be too friendly...) :D

Area 51 always reminds me of the old days of Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell broadcasting from the Kingdom of Nye (Parumph, Nye County, Nevada). Although bizarre, it definitely conjured up a mystique -- I will say that! And a mystique of solitude still remains for those of us in Los Angeles who frequently make that eerie moonlit Friday-night drive through the Mojave Desert to spend the weekend in Las Vegas -- it's larger-than-life! :eek:

Hey BTW, if your imagination loves desert imagery -- and you haven't already done so -- check out The Mojave Phone Booth .....and rent the movie Destiny Turns on the Radio (early Q. Tarentino) for more desert/Vegas weird-ment! :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
YES, I am 'one.' (and Men ARE from Mars!!:)

I'm Irish, I often dress in my country's traditional dress of Leprechaun's and having just come in from the garden, my cute little Irish paws are all 'green.' Guess I must qualify for the two seater (one for Mars, one for Venus) sexy-sleek-Silver saucer with go-faster stripes on the side!!;)

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Cosmology

Do you believe the earth is round? :D

Yes, but its hollow...:D :eusa_doh:
Wonder, just where do the volcanos smoke come from and where do the mineworkers fish all that stuff from the big emptiness inside?:p

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sure I believe in little green men. I've heard them. And I've seen them. In fact, I've even got photographic evidence of their existence.

You wanna see it?

Here, dig this:

JM10LitGreenMen.jpg

I give you Billy Lee Riley & the Little Green Men, who brought us the classic Rockabilly numbers "Flying Saucer Rock'n'Roll" and "Red Hot" 50 years ago.

Please note, this is an authentic photo and not doctored in any way!

lol lol lol

RIOT

Practically Family
Good one Benny Holiday :eusa_clap

"Little green men taught me how to do the bop
They were three foot high, hit a few bars
Started rockin' and rollin' all the way from mars"
- From the Hillbilly Rockin' Man himself

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
Little green men? No.

Extraterrestrial life? Definitely, I think it would be thoughtless not to.

Intelligent extraterrestrial life? For sure, the possibilities for this occuring are far too many for there not to be.

Intelligent extraterrestrial life that has visited earth in some manner of flying craft? No. I look at this in three ways: a) If you're a civilization that has mastered interstellar travel what would you want with our primitive civilization? b) There are many more interesting places to travel to. c) Technology to achieve interstellar travel within the lifetime of one pilot is an impossibility (scientists are still arguing about that though).

S

Samsa

Leading Edge said:
I have never seen any little green men, but then again many things both historical and contemporary fall into that category. Nonetheless, because others have seen and recorded and/or reported them, I believe they exist. That same logic applies to ET aliens: others have seen them, recorded them, and reported evidence of them so why not? Sure, some of those people are charlatans and con artists just as some highly respected experts are charlatans and con artists, but all of them? Now that seems preposterous.

Do you also believe in bigfoot? Visitations by angels? Speaking in tongues?

Maj.Nick Danger said:

We live in an infinite universe, with infinite possibilities.

Isn't the universe finite (but expanding)? To be fair, I am familiar with the theoretical physics position that given enough time, everything will happen.

I think answering either unequivocally "yes" or "no" to the question is intellectually indefensible. I would not answer "yes" because no one has proved to me that aliens exist, or that they have visited earth. It is certainly possible that they do exist and have visited earth, but absent solid evidence to the contrary I am not going to bite. I also do not think highly enough of our government to give them the credit of covering up the existence of visitations from extraterrestrial biological entities for as long as some people think they have been able to do this.

Answering "no" is problematical because it is very hard to prove a negative. I cannot disprove (as Bertrand Russell said) that a flying tea cup is orbiting the earth, but that does not mean that I am going to believe it either. I certainly cannot disprove the existence of aliens, or that they have visited.

Which puts me squarely in the "jury is still out" section. And frankly, I don't care if the jury ever returns. I am much more likely to meet my demise by getting in a car wreck on the way to do errands than I am at the hands of an alien invasion, and if they have already made their way onto our planet, they haven't bothered me any, so I really don't care that they are here (if they are) or what they're up to. According to lots of people they've been visiting for decades now, but that hasn't ever interfered with my life or that of the people I know, so I'm not too inclined to get all hot and bothered.

I guess this post was the long way of saying, "who cares?"

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
akaBruno said:
Jeeze, 50% non believers. Me thinks that for many of you the golden era may go back centuries. Which makes me want to ask this question...

Do you believe the earth is round? :D

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

Well considering that belief or non belief in extraterrestrial life has NOTHING to do with the Golden Era at all.

Attaching the disbelief to some idea that those who don't beleive are 'antiquated' is rather nonsensical or at least non logical.

There is no 'proof' they do exist, so drawing a parallel to rejecting scientific proof....again...

HungaryTom

One Too Many
2 new topics

Samsa said:
Do you also believe in bigfoot?

Criptozoology? Bravo Samsa- another interesting thread. 100+ yrs ago they did not believe in Mountain Gorillas and the Sudan White Rhino either (just 2 very large animals). I never believed that they will find the Vu Quang in Laos in the mid-1990’s after all the Foreign Legionaires and Green berets (the Deer Hunter, Col. Kurtz) and Vieth Minh, and in the late 1970’s my professor as an agricultural extensionist and everybody else have scanned the forests there...and see. We wondered together with him on the day it came out! I just wait the day when they discover the Kouprey too. It is most likely that we really might find new beasts - even sizeable ones- tomorrow.

Visitations by angels?

As a believing Christian I believe that there were visitations by angels and the humans visited by them were always scared first on those occasions. And also that the messages they were sending were clear and precise. See the Bible.
If Michelangelo, J.S. Bach or Amadeus would have written in their autobiographies about angelic visitations I would have also believed that. But they did not – they and all the artists I admire just let their artwork speak for themselves!
John Dee and Aleister Crowley have intentionally devoted their lives for the search with the other side and they indeed had non-human contacts. You can read the biographies of those prolific magicians on the web. Their legacy is tell-tale: a lot of books and weird systems, that is nowhere explained even centuries later. Some of their stuff inspired artists centuries later (Gustav Meyrink, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, etc.) Some of their stuff is still too hot to handle- a true biographical film would namely let the most fierce horror films appear as a little fairy tales. And the way their life ended…being let down by their masters, who never gave them any clear message (unlike the Evangelium) they never got any mystery resolved instead they ended with their own personal catastrophe. And that shows the true character of their ‘visiting angels’.
And I don’t believe in the esoterics crap with messages ‘be good and love each other’ – and pay me $$$$. BS trivia wrapped in ‘angelic visitation’ stuff and in $$ books and $$$ courses and $$$$ seminars and all those $$$$$$$$ Gurus.
There is no verse in the Bible which describes that God or the angel or his prophets were charging any money for their teachings in return.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RIOT said:
Good one Benny Holiday :eusa_clap

"Little green men taught me how to do the bop
They were three foot high, hit a few bars
Started rockin' and rollin' all the way from mars"
- From the Hillbilly Rockin' Man himself

Riot, I knew you'd be hep to Billy Lee!

Cool theory about the visitors from the future, man. You never know . . .

K

killertomata

I look at it like this- the universe is bigger than we can imagine, so the chance that we are the only planet with 'intelligent' life is pretty nil. Whether it's more advanced than we or still protoplasmic? Who knows- big universe, many variables, no way to even really predict what other life would look like, we can only go by our own perspective, and it's pretty finite compared to billions of galaxies. (cue the Carl Sagan "billions and billions....")

However, the idea of aliens here on this planet? Never met one. So maybe they're out there, but I think there is more imagination at work in most places than little green men.

ps. I love cryptozoology.

S

Samsa

HungaryTom said:
Criptozoology? Bravo Samsa- another interesting thread. 100+ yrs ago they did not believe in Mountain Gorillas and the Sudan White Rhino either (just 2 very large animals). I never believed that they will find the Vu Quang in Laos in the mid-1990’s after all the Foreign Legionaires and Green berets (the Deer Hunter, Col. Kurtz) and Vieth Minh, and in the late 1970’s my professor as an agricultural extensionist and everybody else have scanned the forests there...and see. We wondered together with him on the day it came out! I just wait the day when they discover the Kouprey too. It is most likely that we really might find new beasts - even sizeable ones- tomorrow.

Visitations by angels?

As a believing Christian I believe that there were visitations by angels and the humans visited by them were always scared first on those occasions. And also that the messages they were sending were clear and precise. See the Bible.
If Michelangelo, J.S. Bach or Amadeus would have written in their autobiographies about angelic visitations I would have also believed that. But they did not – they and all the artists I admire just let their artwork speak for themselves!
John Dee and Aleister Crowley have intentionally devoted their lives for the search with the other side and they indeed had non-human contacts. You can read the biographies of those prolific magicians on the web. Their legacy is tell-tale: a lot of books and weird systems, that is nowhere explained even centuries later. Some of their stuff inspired artists centuries later (Gustav Meyrink, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, etc.) Some of their stuff is still too hot to handle- a true biographical film would namely let the most fierce horror films appear as a little fairy tales. And the way their life ended…being let down by their masters, who never gave them any clear message (unlike the Evangelium) they never got any mystery resolved instead they ended with their own personal catastrophe. And that shows the true character of their ‘visiting angels’.
And I don’t believe in the esoterics crap with messages ‘be good and love each other’ – and pay me $$$$. BS trivia wrapped in ‘angelic visitation’ stuff and in $$ books and $$$ courses and $$$$ seminars and all those $$$$$$$$ Gurus.
There is no verse in the Bible which describes that God or the angel or his prophets were charging any money for their teachings in return.

My intent was not to hijack the thread and turn it into one on cryptozoology, but simply to tacitly suggest that believing in something because other people have "reported" seeing it seems to be a slippery intellectual slope. People have reported seeing all sorts of things that surely are not true. Believing these things absent any real proof, or without following up on them, is something I would have a hard time doing.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Well considering that belief or non belief in extraterrestrial life has NOTHING to do with the Golden Era at all.

Attaching the disbelief to some idea that those who don't beleive are 'antiquated' is rather nonsensical or at least non logical.

There is no 'proof' they do exist, so drawing a parallel to rejecting scientific proof....again...
Ah but we have been visited by extra-terrestrial (or whatever they might be?) phenomena for quite some time now, even perhaps well before the so-called golden era which could be considered to include the last 100 years or so. There have been reports of UFOs throughout history.
http://ufologie.net/htm/picanc.htm

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Ah but we have been visited by extra-terrestrial (or whatever they might be?) phenomena for quite some time now, even perhaps well before the so-called golden era including the last 100 years or so. There have been reports of UFOs throughout history.
http://ufologie.net/htm/picanc.htm

You arn't disagreeing with me.

All I said was...deciding that the 'proof' or 'not-proof- depending on your opinions....means that they do or don't exist, does not place one in a particular -era- or -time-...

So attempting to compare that to rejecting the earth being round...not a good comparison...

The existance of perfectly non-vintage liking people....who also don't beleive in green men......well you can't say they are living in some prolonged golden era...now can you? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy