Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Consider Yourself To Be An Artist?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Hey GF,
I saw in your profile that you were a graphic designer! Just because I got tired of it doesn't mean I don't like them (designers that is). Good thing too because I happen to be married to one:eusa_clap . I just love to draw the most!

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Girl Friday said:
I was really thinking more along the lines of a graphic novel thing.

There is also a graphic novel they put together using our art from the animation. It's landscape format and hardcover, and available through Amazon. I just wish they had given the 50 artists some credit in it! Only the "movie poster" credits are there. Oh well.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
i definitely am an artist, and not just because im an art major! i have been doing creative things my whole life, have always gone against the grain in a quiet kind of way. in middle school i gave up trying to fit in, which is why i think ive come to appreciate vintage style, etc. also, i think the reason why im drawn to vintage moreso than, say, goth or punk (though i still dress like a little punk kid sometimes), is because of its aesthetics.

my main interest in art is color photography (not digital!). i also am very interested in new genres (performance art/mixed media/installation/etc.), and sculpture (not as you think though -- one of my last pieces for class were two pink satin 'knee corsets' i sewed and displayed with plaster casts of my legs). i also write short fiction.

i love art. i am so, so, thankful i am an art major at a university too. theres nothing more amazing than getting that great idea out of nowhere and then realizing that you not only CAN put it into motion, but there are people all around you motivating you to do so. art is definitely my passion in life.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
There is also a graphic novel they put together using our art from the animation. It's landscape format and hardcover, and available through Amazon. I just wish they had given the 50 artists some credit in it! Only the "movie poster" credits are there. Oh well.
That's horrible...should definitely get credit for that! that's a lot of hard work.
I got my degree in photography, so I started using Photoshop 2.5 then (ouch...no layers!). My boyfriend is a writer and we have been talking about collaborating to illustrate a story for quite a while. Using still photography and manipulating it in PS to make it look like an illustration, its not really an original idea, but it sure makes it easier for those of us who lack the ability to draw.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Besides being a professional writer/author I used to dabble in oils- judge for yourself[huh]

ph-10044.jpg

ph-10043.jpg

ph-10042.jpg

ph-10041.jpg

ph-10040.jpg

ph-10039.jpg

S

Samsa

I'm a would-be poet who has written very little. Think Stephen Daedelus at the end of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

That being said, I would never describe myself as an artist or a poet. These are terms of honor (poet is, at least) that should come from others, not one's own self. Whitman said that one is a poet when one's countrymen accept one as such. Frost echoed that sentiment and said that one is a poet only when the world calls you one.

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
Some call me a musician, I rather call myself and artist. Not sure why but I think the word artist is a better and broader term for what I am doing since I am not only performing but also composing and arranging music. :)
Christoph

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Out of any type of artist in the world, I think I would most want to be a craftsman. Tables, Chairs, Musical Instruments... But I don't even have the slightest skill or experience in the area.

I, however, do have some drawing abilities, but some never does cut it:
zeus2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR